Fixed a Purple Screen of (Death)

Yesterday I got a persistent Purple Screen on my Switch, turns out it is a rare error, for which I couldn't find a solution online.
It couldn't load anything but the SX OS menu. Thought it was bricked.

The quick answer is: I fixed it by running SX Menu's inbuilt GPT Repair mode.
So if you're using SX, try that first.

What I did before it happened:
Made a NAND backup using SX 2.0 Menu on my 5.0.X Switch.
I only backed up Boot01, Boot02 and SYS.
It finished, then the SX menu crashed.
Waited for 2 minutes, did a hard power-off.

Turned back on my switch holding Vol+.
Entered the SX menu and tried to run Custom FW.
Then a Purple Screen.
Hard power-off.

Back in the SX menu, I tried running Original FW.
Purple Screen.

Luckily I could enter the SX menu everytime after I turned the Switch off, so I tried several different settings;
uninstalled and installed Auto-RCM, booting without SD Card, booting without dongle, etcetera.
Noting worked. Everytime I tried to boot either Firmware I got the Purple Screen.

Then I copied the backed up NAND I made earlier to my PC. Turns out the SD card had faulty sectors.
Tried restoring my NAND using a clean SD Card in SX menu; Boot01 and Boot02 succeeded. SYSnand "failed=(some memory location error)"

Used A different, newly formatted SD card, same error; SYSnand restore failed.

I was out of options, and just tried using the inbuilt GPT repair mode in SX Menu 2.0
It did the job. Fast and easy.

My Switch loaded both Original and Custom FW without any problems.
Also I didn't loose any data at all.

Hope this helps for people encountering a Purple Screen of (not really Death).

A

a9lh-1user

Thanks for the explanation what worked for you.
IMHO it shows only that SX OS has features that are very dangerous for the average user and should not be used :)

Reactions: Hmed and thaikhoa

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the explanation what worked for you.
IMHO it shows only that SX OS has features that are very dangerous for the average user and should not be used :)

"Hey, I just fixed an SD error with the only thing that worked on my switch : SX O..."

"How dare you use a repair function you dirty SX apologist! Don't you know that it can burn down your house?"

Reactions: yusuo and Victorum

Hugopugo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This didnt work for me unfortunately... after i restored my nand backup i got this purple screen too.... tried everything and nothing worked, including gptrepair ;(

unfortunately i had to return my switch to the store i bought and received a new one (told them i turned on one day and this happened) wait until they get inside that switch hehe...

hopefully this works for others... im never restoring my nand again... seems like a risk restoring your nand

anyone know why this is happening? is the nand backup corrupted?

Unskill_Animal

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I got PSOD on my Switch OLED. The indicator on the chip at this moment glows white. But the solution to this problem turned out to be easy.
If you get a purple screen then take apart the console and check your chip (HWFLY in my case). Perhaps the contact has come off somewhere (I have a wire from the capacitor that has fallen off).

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Yesterday I got a persistent Purple Screen on my Switch, turns out it is a rare error, for which I couldn't find a solution online.
It couldn't load anything but the SX OS menu. Thought it was bricked.

The quick answer is: I fixed it by running SX Menu's inbuilt GPT Repair mode.
So if you're using SX, try that first.

What I did before it happened:
Made a NAND backup using SX 2.0 Menu on my 5.0.X Switch.
I only backed up Boot01, Boot02 and SYS.
It finished, then the SX menu crashed.
Waited for 2 minutes, did a hard power-off.

Turned back on my switch holding Vol+.
Entered the SX menu and tried to run Custom FW.
Then a Purple Screen.
Hard power-off.

Back in the SX menu, I tried running Original FW.
Purple Screen.

Luckily I could enter the SX menu everytime after I turned the Switch off, so I tried several different settings;
uninstalled and installed Auto-RCM, booting without SD Card, booting without dongle, etcetera.
Noting worked. Everytime I tried to boot either Firmware I got the Purple Screen.

Then I copied the backed up NAND I made earlier to my PC. Turns out the SD card had faulty sectors.
Tried restoring my NAND using a clean SD Card in SX menu; Boot01 and Boot02 succeeded. SYSnand "failed=(some memory location error)"

Used A different, newly formatted SD card, same error; SYSnand restore failed.

I was out of options, and just tried using the inbuilt GPT repair mode in SX Menu 2.0
It did the job. Fast and easy.

My Switch loaded both Original and Custom FW without any problems.
Also I didn't loose any data at all.

Hope this helps for people encountering a Purple Screen of (not really Death).
Hello, this is my case, I have a new oled box switch, I installed a chip for cfw, the machine worked a couple of times but after it stayed on a purple screen, the chip was removed, everything was cleaned and nothing, purple screen, some idea? can it be repaired without changing the nand?, see a video with exact same problem,the guy change a little resistor en point A,shope can work

LPRM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, this is my case, I have a new oled box switch, I installed a chip for cfw, the machine worked a couple of times but after it stayed on a purple screen, the chip was removed, everything was cleaned and nothing, purple screen, some idea? can it be repaired without changing the nand?, see a video with exact same problem,the guy change a little resistor en point A,shope can work
Did you solve your problem? If so, how?

djcraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purple screen means you roasted the CMD resistor when installing the modchip. Or there's an issue with your emmc. So, if you installed a modchip, it's likely the CMD resistor. If you do not have a modchip, then it's a bad emmc.

LPRM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Purple screen means you roasted the CMD resistor when installing the modchip. Or there's an issue with your emmc. So, if you installed a modchip, it's likely the CMD resistor. If you do not have a modchip, then it's a bad emmc.
I installed the modchip yes,then I got Purple screen booting in ofw. If I remove the modchip I have purple screen too. So its only the cmd? It's a 4.7k resistor, right?

LPRM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I redid point A, OFW gives me a black screen now. I manage to backup emmc in slower mode and create emuemmc.
If I go to emmc info sometimes it is in slower mode, after some time it's ok. Still no OFW boot, only a black screen after Nintendo logo.
For now I will leave this as it is, I don't need to use OFW. I ordered the resistor anyway and I will replace it in the near future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...