1. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    This reminds me of the hacked save of Zelda Twilight Princess. It's time to buy and keep stored a PS5.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

They must be finding it hard to restrict the M.2 port to only certain cards.

3. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Gamer Professional Deluxe
    Supervisor

Croatia
    Oh wow USB extended storage after six months. Thanks for the basic functionality Sony. What did you think the PS5 was a Nintendo console?

4. sloppycrap

sloppycrap Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Afghanistan
    Not weirder than my son but that's okay, I love you too, weirdo

5. Aheago

Aheago Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Love you too. Wanna cuddle?

6. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I think external HDDs on Switch are never going to be a thing without a "only console" Nintendo Switch model
    What keeps them for allowing them is that, the console is meant to be docked and if you want, you can just pop out of the dock and continue using, the issue is that, if you connected a hard drive to a dock and popped the console out of it (or even if the dock connection is not perfect), the console and games would instantly crash. The wii u was not a concern about this since it was tethered to the TV. It didnt allowed SD cards for expanding storage because at the time, good SD cards were not as readily available as today and it would be frustrating for the average user to buy a SD card and realise it doesnt work as it should.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Any exploits on other hardwares were pretty much unrelated to expanding storage since they tend to be encripted and to work only with the account and console they meant for. PS3 exploit: web browser, service mode (afaik on earlier models)... PS4 exploit: web browser, Wii U exploit: web browser; 3DS: vulnerable game; Wii: vulnerable games...

Scott_pilgrim, dwain12435 and banjo2 like this.
  7. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    no word on controller drift? Will they go full Nintendo and ignore the users for this issue too?

8. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm sure this was supposed to be a launch feature, yet SEs didn't make it on time.

9. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Does the switch's dock allow for this?

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Likely because there are very few off the shelf M.2 drives that meet whatever standards they set for them to be supported right now. They can't just give a blanket "all PCIe 4.0 NVMes will work!" given there are so many differences between drives they have to check. People don't realize it's not as simple as just shoving any old M.2 in there, throwing a game on it, and giving it a quick test to make sure it works, unfortunately it's likely much more complicated than that. At the very least they would have to test each drive at different fill rates (so an empty drive vs a half full drive vs a full drive), at different capacities (because a smaller NVMe isn't going to have the same IOPS as the same exact line of NVMe with the same controller at higher capacities, for example a 1TB NVMe might only have 300k random read IOPS whereas a 2TB might have 600k, etc), and they even have to take into consideration manufacturers that don't use the same/change controllers across even the same line of drives (like ADATA, for example, who got in some hot water last year when it was discovered they swapped to slower controllers on the same line of drives which resulted in slower performance).

I think it's really shitty they didn't have the feature enabled at launch though, they really should have had at least 1 or 2 ready for launch and then drip-fed support for other drives over time. The way they're doing it now is useless.

As to adding USB support, why bother when PS5 HAS NO GAEMZ LOLOLOLOL ;O;

11. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Addict

United States
    iirc the PS5 uses some specially designed SSD.

12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I would've liked the option to stick any M.2 NVME card in there even if it was slightly slower than the internal. I seriously doubt most people would even notice the difference as long as it was one of the decent brands.

13. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Kinda pointless since you can't use it in handheld mode and we already have microSD cards that can hold over a terabyte of data which is more than enough for a switch. But I am not opposed to Nintendo adding it as there will always be some people that benefit from it, just not me.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The problem with that is the fast storage isn't just being used to benefit only loading screens, the PS5 (and Sexbox, too) can stream texture data directly to the GPU/CPU from their storage devices, as opposed to it going from storage to RAM/VRAM to CPU/GPU. If a slower NVMe was used, you wouldn't just get an extra second of loading time, things like textures or particles or whatever other data is being loaded would have serious pop in issues that might make playing a game impossible, or at least not very fun.

I don't expect all games will actually use that feature, but I suspect many will so it's not exactly a good solution to just use whatever and hope for the best TBH

15. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Even if they only allowed something like a 970 Pro and above it would at least be an option. I really don't get how they messed up so bad that this wasn't ready within the first 6 months of launch.

Edit: I meant 980 Pro since it's 4.0

Last edited by subcon959, Apr 13, 2021
  16. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

Canada
    I thought it was funny. I got the joke.

17. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM Emo Shadow

United States
    I knew these 2 were going to fall in love sooner or later.

smallissue, Scott_pilgrim and banjo2 like this.
  18. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Maybe they wouldn't allow you to run from the hard drive, but they should at least allow transfers for the Switch.

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Gee, took them only six months lol

20. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    About damn time my ps5 internal drive is full and had to delete call of duty from it to install other games. Rediculous that this option (at least) wasn't an option on release. 1 tb...wtf are we nintendo running shit 720p graphics (if that)...no 1tb fills up quick. Especially when almost 1/3 is used for system and "other" shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - transferring, releases, tomorrow