Hacking Firmware - Which Numbers are Correct for the Hardware Exploit?

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, couldn't really phrase it very well on the title, but I just want some verification on the "Firmware status" thread.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-status.495078/

So, "Old Units" means Switch units that still have the hardware exploit for homebrew, correct? Well "New Units" are ones that have been patched for it? Because I know someone selling just the tablet by itself, either loaded with 2.1.0 or another with 4.1.0. So, if they have those as their raw firmware from the moment you boot them up, would they still be susceptible to the "Old Units" category? The "4.1.0" is a hundred bucks cheaper for me, well the "2.1.0" is not as cheap. But, if both still have the hardware exploit on them, then I suppose it wouldn't matter which one I get, right?

And also, wouldn't the Switch need to be on 6.2.0 to load Ultimate up or would it still load the game just fine? Just figured I'd throw that question out there well I'm still asking, well, questions.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old units still have the RCM vulnerability, regardless of which software version they're on now. Ipatched units do not. You should consult the serials page to determine if a Switch is likely vulnerable. The 4.1.0 Switch might not be vulnerable.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

A Switch that's vulnerable to the RCM exploit is vulnerable forever, even if you update.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Draxzelex

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old units still have the RCM vulnerability, regardless of which software version they're on now. Ipatched units do not. You should consult the serials page to determine if a Switch is likely vulnerable. The 4.1.0 Switch might not be vulnerable.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

A Switch that's vulnerable to the RCM exploit is vulnerable forever, even if you update.

I'd imagine a 2.1.0 would be vulnerable then since, according to the status thread, 4.1.0 and onward could be patched. Since the seller most likely won't let me look at the 4.1.0 serial number, my best bet is to just buy the 2.1.0 then since it's most likely safe.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine a 2.1.0 would be vulnerable then since, according to the status thread, 4.1.0 and onward could be patched. Since the seller most likely won't let me look at the 4.1.0 serial number, my best bet is to just buy the 2.1.0 then since it's most likely safe.
That is correct. In addition, if the 4.1.0 Switch is significantly less expensive, it might be patched.

Reactions: NFates

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is correct. In addition, if the 4.1.0 Switch is significantly less expensive, it might be patched.

Oh yeah, it was. The 2.1.0, for brand new Switch price, will only include the tablet. But hey, at least I'm paying extra knowing I get a guaranteed vulnerable Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro