Firmware - Which Numbers are Correct for the Hardware Exploit?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Notshane, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Notshane
    OP

Notshane GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    United States
    Uh, couldn't really phrase it very well on the title, but I just want some verification on the "Firmware status" thread.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-status.495078/

So, "Old Units" means Switch units that still have the hardware exploit for homebrew, correct? Well "New Units" are ones that have been patched for it? Because I know someone selling just the tablet by itself, either loaded with 2.1.0 or another with 4.1.0. So, if they have those as their raw firmware from the moment you boot them up, would they still be susceptible to the "Old Units" category? The "4.1.0" is a hundred bucks cheaper for me, well the "2.1.0" is not as cheap. But, if both still have the hardware exploit on them, then I suppose it wouldn't matter which one I get, right?

And also, wouldn't the Switch need to be on 6.2.0 to load Ultimate up or would it still load the game just fine? Just figured I'd throw that question out there well I'm still asking, well, questions.

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Old units still have the RCM vulnerability, regardless of which software version they're on now. Ipatched units do not. You should consult the serials page to determine if a Switch is likely vulnerable. The 4.1.0 Switch might not be vulnerable.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...he-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

A Switch that's vulnerable to the RCM exploit is vulnerable forever, even if you update.

Last edited by Lacius, Dec 25, 2018
    Draxzelex likes this.
  3. Notshane
    OP

Notshane GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    United States
    I'd imagine a 2.1.0 would be vulnerable then since, according to the status thread, 4.1.0 and onward could be patched. Since the seller most likely won't let me look at the 4.1.0 serial number, my best bet is to just buy the 2.1.0 then since it's most likely safe.

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    That is correct. In addition, if the 4.1.0 Switch is significantly less expensive, it might be patched.

NFates likes this.
  5. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Though the seller could pull a stunt and up the price to make people think that it's unpatched. Dirty.

6. Notshane
    OP

Notshane GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    United States
    Oh yeah, it was. The 2.1.0, for brand new Switch price, will only include the tablet. But hey, at least I'm paying extra knowing I get a guaranteed vulnerable Switch.