Firmware status

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nah3DS, Jan 24, 2018.

1. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    Is a switch with 1.0.0 still worth keeping, or a 3.0.0 more useful?

I have one of each, and have no need to keep both.

I don't care about playing online with it, that's what my main switch, with legally purchased games, is for. I just want whichever is actually more useful for homebrew/piracy/emulation.

2. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Obviously 1.0.0 has more vulnerabilities so just keep that

g00s3y likes this.
  3. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    Yeah, I know all the obvious stuff. I haven't kept up with everything as so much is still developing. I'm not in any rush for it, I barely play my regular switch as it is.

I was mainly wondering about emulating the NAND. I remember at first it was only 1.0.0 would be able to do so, and now it's seems like it may be able to happen with any firmware, on the pre patched units of course.

4. kkcheong

kkcheong GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2018
    Malaysia
    With superban going on, is updating firmware the right thing to do before hacking?

5. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    For now probably yea, before you do any hacking, since 5.1.0 is hackable.

6. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia

Tsk tsk tsk

@SciresM

Last edited by Quantumcat, Aug 29, 2018
  7. kkcheong

kkcheong GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2018
    Malaysia
    Thanks. Need to update before another is out. We never know what we gonna get.

8. Nah3DS
    OP

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    "Mitigations against deja vu"
    Does that means that Deja Vu still works on 5.1.0?
    Can someone confirm this?[​IMG]

Last edited by Nah3DS, Aug 31, 2018
  9. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Yeah he posted it in the reswitched discord

10. NoNAND

NoNAND No NAND allowed here hehehe

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    The Void
    I have a 5.1.0 switch am i too hopeless for coldboot and is it possible to downgrade to 5.0.0 even i already have burn fuses?

11. Xyphoseos

Xyphoseos Hack or no games

Jun 29, 2016
    France
    Rivière
    Can anyone tell me why switch hack are named with french word ?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    So far, there are no other coldboot exploits confirmed to be theoretically possible for firmwares 3.0.2 and above. In the distant future, its possible another coldboot exploit is discovered that works on firmwares 5.X and below but there is no telling when such an exploit will be found or if its even possible. I should also mention that the current exploit is a type of coldboot.
    Most of the members of the ReSwitched team are French and they are the ones who discovered majority of the exploits, especially the unreleased warmboot ones.

Xyphoseos likes this.
  13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    We always knew that parts of Deja Vu still existed on 5.1.0, which is why the exploit chain has been kept private. People want to use Deja Vu to poke around future systems that aren't vulnerable to Fusée Gelée and are on 5.0.0 or higher. If 6.0.0 finishes off Deja Vu, then we might get an earlier release.

It is possible for you to downgrade to 5.0.0, since 5.0.0 and 5.1.0 have the same number of expected efuses, but there's no point in doing so. 5.0.0 will probably never see a coldboot exploit. As far as anybody is aware, an untethered coldboot exploit is theoretically possible on 3.0.2 or lower, but it will probably be years before one is developed, if ever.

An untethered coldboot exploit is theoretically possible on 3.0.2, and if it weren't, 3.0.2 is easily downgradable to 3.0.1.

Akorax and peteruk like this.
  14. Xyphoseos

Xyphoseos Hack or no games

Jun 29, 2016
    France
    Rivière
    I heard about "nouveau" on twitter, what's it ?

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I know what you are referring to but the firmware that SciresM stated has access to the untethered coldboot is on firmwares <3.0.2 meaning its firmwares 3.0.1 and below. If it was firmwares 3.0.2 and below, he would have used the less than or equal to sign not the less than sign.
    Source

Lacius likes this.
  16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I don't remember where I read it, so that could be it. Regardless, 3.0.2 is still downgradable to 3.0.1 since they have the same number of expected burnt efuses.

Draxzelex likes this.
  17. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    My understanding was that Deja Vu was only confirmed to work <5.0.0, and it had not been thoroughly tested beyond that but it was known to have been broken in how it was executed <5.0.0 with 5.0.0, so the exploit exists but the execution chain no longer did as previously known. No other exploit chain had been tested/found but the underlying flaw persisted.

6.0.0 makes this even HARDER to execute and realize. The exploit still exists, as it appears to not be something that Nintendo can fix and is a flaw either in nVidia's work (again) or a quirk, but it is being made effectively inert. As of 5.0.0 it was 'inert' in that no exploit chain to leverage it remained publicly known, and now it is harder still to leverage it.

The subtle changes to Mariko in the firmware may even be related to fixing this outright.

peteruk likes this.
  18. PitPitPit

PitPitPit GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Will upgrading from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 burn any fuses? Because i really wanna play Super Mario Odyssey but stay on the lowest FW possible and still have a chance to go back to 3.0.0 later.

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    PitPitPit and Lacius like this.
  20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can update to 3.0.1 (or 5.1.0) without burning any fuses using ChoiDujourNX, and as long as you keep AutoRCM installed, you will be able to downgrade back to 3.0.0 at any time.

PitPitPit and Draxzelex like this.