Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
evo-on-black.jpg

I noticed this on the main site BETA 1.3 with RTS

Here is the support page I got the link from

The Black CycloDS Evolution has also shipped.

[title:Release Notes]Release Notes for CycloDS Evolution Firmware v1.3 BETA
======================================================

Introduction
------------

This release marks the introduction of the RealTime Save feature into CycloDS Evolution.
In order to implement this feature a lot of internal changes were made to our software,
so we have decided to release this initially as a public BETA and as such, we advise that
the software may (and probably will) contain bugs. Please backup your MicroSD card before
using and if you don't want any risk at all, please wait for the stable release. We have
tested this quite thoroughly ourselves but as a small team our capacity for testing is
rather limited, so we would appreciate any help in identifying any remaining problems. If
you come across a bug, please report this in the bugs section of our forum and we will do
our best to fix it quickly.

How to use RealTime Save
------------------------

RealTime Save is disabled by default, and must first be enabled through the settings menu
by setting "RTS BETA" to "Enabled". Before you can use RealTime Save with each individual
game, a .RTS file must be created. These files are not created automatically due to their
large size of 4.7MB. To create a RTS file for a game, hold down SELECT whilst you launch
that game and the file will be created. You must hold SELECT before the loading screen
appears and only release after you see "Loading (RTS Initialise)". You only need to do
this once per game; subsequent launches of the same game will detect the presence of the
RTS file so you don't need to hold down SELECT. Please note that this is a temporary
solution - we are planning a GUI re-design soon that will include a per-game context menu
system where such options may be toggled.

If RealTime Save is enabled in the settings menu and a RTS file has previously been created,
the menu items relating to RealTime Save in the ingame menu will be available. Usage is
quite self-explanatory - select "RealTime Save" to save the current state of the game and
then "RealTime Load" to load that state. We're quite please with the speed of these
operations, as our tests with a Toshiba 4GB MicroSD show saving taking about 6 seconds
and loading taking about 2.5 seconds.

Known Problems
--------------

There are currently some known problems with RealTime save which are related to the fact
that currently its not possible to save and load 100% of the NDS hardware (more on this
below). Some of the known issues are:

- After loading, the sound will become crackly with some games. To avoid this, we suggest
pausing the game before you save as this will help in many cases.
- If you save during gameplay and then attempt to load from the game's main menu, this can
lead to graphical problems with some games. To avoid this, we suggest loading during
gameplay and not from the main menu.

RealTime Save Technical Details
-------------------------------

Currently it is not possible for our software to obtain a complete capture of 100% of the
NDS hardware. This means that when a state is loaded, small parts of the hardware will be
"out of sync" - this is what can lead so graphical or sound problems. For example, its
currently not possible to capture the full state of the 3d graphics engine which means that
you need to wait for the game code to properly configure the 3d graphics hardware itself
before loading a state which relies on the operation of this hardware. Often games have not
configured the 3d graphics hardware at the main menu and wait until entering gameplay to do
this - meaning if you load a gameplay state from the main menu, the 3d graphics hardware
will not have been setup correctly resulting in graphical problems.

The reason for these problems is that a great deal of the hardware registers on the NDS
are write only - you can not read the values which the game has written to them, meaning
you can not include dumps of these registers in the saved state. We are currently working
on some special "register trap" code which will allow us to obtain a complete capture of
all the hardware and this make it possible to save and load from anywhere. This would also
make it possible to load a saved state directly from the CycloDS Evolution main menu so
you would not need to wait until the game starts and then load from the ingame menu!

---

Well, that's all for now - hope you all enjoy!

Regards,
Team Cyclops

QUOTE said:
We're pleased to greet our users during the festive season with a very special new firmware. We'd like to thank all of our users for their patience and understanding whilst we've been working on the new release! Some of you may be wondering why we have held off from making a major release for considerable time. In short, we've been chiseling away at a new feature which we're sure many will love and find increasingly useful as times goes by. RealTime Save is now a reality for the CycloDS Evolution, thanks to many hours of hard work and testing. It's by no means perfect yet, but as always, we'll continue to strive for perfection and user satisfaction. However, it's here and works well, so we feel that it's time to treat CycloDS Evolution owners to some advanced functionality and reward their patience. General compatibility with many titles has now been enhanced too, building on our already extensive foundations. These changes are available as part of the CycloDS Evolution v1.3 BETA firmware release which is available for download from the support page. Please note that this is a BETA release, so be sure to read the included documentation thoroughly before using.   

Now on to other news, many will undoubtedly be pleased to learn that the first shipments of the black CycloDS Evolution are now on their way to retailers, and customers should receive their orders in the first few days of the new year! So you may now order Evolution in black or white from your retailer. We will be posting pictures of the black soon for those that are interested to see how it looks.    Seasons greetings to all!

This needs adding to the main page (sent PM to Costello)

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You tell me, one post on the offical forum

QUOTE said:
nice update that really shows how clean TCs code is,
my standard SanDisk 2GB times are save: 8s, load: 3s

but as my cart hasn't come yet I cannot test it.

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does test/beta version equate to a good excuse for it being crap ?
Can you PLEASE stop flaming/hating in every thread where a supercard competitor does something cool? The TC RTS is currently working far better than SC, so how is it crap? You dont even have a cyclods so you're in no position to judge. I have both cyclods and supercard and I can tell you that while SC gets props for being first, TC has done a better job (just a little bit late). Yes I know SC are claiming that their new OS will reduce save times to 2 seconds but lets wait until its released before going crazy about that... for all we know the 2 seconds might only be with the fastest microsd card and the average time around the same as TC's RTS. Until the release its all speculation.

Anyway back to the point, both cyclods and SC are good cards. Its up to personal preference which one you think is better. Can you please stop flaming everywhere about cyclods? Its not even constructive criticism coming from you, its just "cyclods is crap" etc. Almost looks as thought you feel threatened because your precious SC might not be the best
wink.gif

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does test/beta version equate to a good excuse for it being crap ?

It's far from crap, so far it's been working fine for me. CDS users are glad this new version has been released. I agree with Johnchan's notion that since you don't seem to have any constructive criticism, please don't flame here.

Benne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any mirrors available?
The Cyclods site is down....

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

forgettaboutit.
thank god for gbatemp downloads

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
The Save and load times are pretty good. It's about 5-6 sec saving and 3-4 seconds for loading.

I tried it on few games and it's working nicely. Just follow the tips they give (i.e saving in pause menu and loading while in game).

Just 1 question

Can I use jkdefrag on the microsd card. I thought defragging mircosd cards was not good.

Any replies on this will be appreciated

thanks
smile.gif

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM