Firmware 1.3 Beta

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by MadBob, Dec 27, 2007.

Dec 27, 2007

Firmware 1.3 Beta by MadBob at 7:15 PM (2,623 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. MadBob
    OP

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

I noticed this on the main site BETA 1.3 with RTS

Here is the support page I got the link from

The Black CycloDS Evolution has also shipped.

[title:Release Notes]Release Notes for CycloDS Evolution Firmware v1.3 BETA
    ======================================================

Introduction
    ------------

This release marks the introduction of the RealTime Save feature into CycloDS Evolution.
    In order to implement this feature a lot of internal changes were made to our software,
    so we have decided to release this initially as a public BETA and as such, we advise that
    the software may (and probably will) contain bugs. Please backup your MicroSD card before
    using and if you don't want any risk at all, please wait for the stable release. We have
    tested this quite thoroughly ourselves but as a small team our capacity for testing is
    rather limited, so we would appreciate any help in identifying any remaining problems. If
    you come across a bug, please report this in the bugs section of our forum and we will do
    our best to fix it quickly.

How to use RealTime Save
    ------------------------

RealTime Save is disabled by default, and must first be enabled through the settings menu
    by setting "RTS BETA" to "Enabled". Before you can use RealTime Save with each individual
    game, a .RTS file must be created. These files are not created automatically due to their
    large size of 4.7MB. To create a RTS file for a game, hold down SELECT whilst you launch
    that game and the file will be created. You must hold SELECT before the loading screen
    appears and only release after you see "Loading (RTS Initialise)". You only need to do
    this once per game; subsequent launches of the same game will detect the presence of the
    RTS file so you don't need to hold down SELECT. Please note that this is a temporary
    solution - we are planning a GUI re-design soon that will include a per-game context menu
    system where such options may be toggled.

If RealTime Save is enabled in the settings menu and a RTS file has previously been created,
    the menu items relating to RealTime Save in the ingame menu will be available. Usage is
    quite self-explanatory - select "RealTime Save" to save the current state of the game and
    then "RealTime Load" to load that state. We're quite please with the speed of these
    operations, as our tests with a Toshiba 4GB MicroSD show saving taking about 6 seconds
    and loading taking about 2.5 seconds.

Known Problems
    --------------

There are currently some known problems with RealTime save which are related to the fact
    that currently its not possible to save and load 100% of the NDS hardware (more on this
    below). Some of the known issues are:

- After loading, the sound will become crackly with some games. To avoid this, we suggest
    pausing the game before you save as this will help in many cases.
    - If you save during gameplay and then attempt to load from the game's main menu, this can
    lead to graphical problems with some games. To avoid this, we suggest loading during
    gameplay and not from the main menu.

RealTime Save Technical Details
    -------------------------------

Currently it is not possible for our software to obtain a complete capture of 100% of the
    NDS hardware. This means that when a state is loaded, small parts of the hardware will be
    "out of sync" - this is what can lead so graphical or sound problems. For example, its
    currently not possible to capture the full state of the 3d graphics engine which means that
    you need to wait for the game code to properly configure the 3d graphics hardware itself
    before loading a state which relies on the operation of this hardware. Often games have not
    configured the 3d graphics hardware at the main menu and wait until entering gameplay to do
    this - meaning if you load a gameplay state from the main menu, the 3d graphics hardware
    will not have been setup correctly resulting in graphical problems.

The reason for these problems is that a great deal of the hardware registers on the NDS
    are write only - you can not read the values which the game has written to them, meaning
    you can not include dumps of these registers in the saved state. We are currently working
    on some special "register trap" code which will allow us to obtain a complete capture of
    all the hardware and this make it possible to save and load from anywhere. This would also
    make it possible to load a saved state directly from the CycloDS Evolution main menu so
    you would not need to wait until the game starts and then load from the ingame menu!

---

Well, that's all for now - hope you all enjoy!

Regards,
    Team Cyclops

This needs adding to the main page (sent PM to Costello)

2. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
  3. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Does test/beta version equate to a good excuse for it being crap ?

4. MadBob
    OP

United Kingdom
    You tell me, one post on the offical forum

but as my cart hasn't come yet I cannot test it.

5. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    I've even got save 5-6s load 2-3s with a kingston 2Go ( jkdefrag ;-)

6. johnchan

Newcomer johnchan Advanced Member

Can you PLEASE stop flaming/hating in every thread where a supercard competitor does something cool? The TC RTS is currently working far better than SC, so how is it crap? You dont even have a cyclods so you're in no position to judge. I have both cyclods and supercard and I can tell you that while SC gets props for being first, TC has done a better job (just a little bit late). Yes I know SC are claiming that their new OS will reduce save times to 2 seconds but lets wait until its released before going crazy about that... for all we know the 2 seconds might only be with the fastest microsd card and the average time around the same as TC's RTS. Until the release its all speculation.

Anyway back to the point, both cyclods and SC are good cards. Its up to personal preference which one you think is better. Can you please stop flaming everywhere about cyclods? Its not even constructive criticism coming from you, its just "cyclods is crap" etc. Almost looks as thought you feel threatened because your precious SC might not be the best [​IMG]

7. Cactuar

Member Cactuar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's far from crap, so far it's been working fine for me. CDS users are glad this new version has been released. I agree with Johnchan's notion that since you don't seem to have any constructive criticism, please don't flame here.

8. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Another card with RTS [​IMG] They like to keep promises [​IMG]

9. Benne

Newcomer Benne Newbie

Sweden
    Any mirrors available?
    The Cyclods site is down....

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

forgettaboutit.
    thank god for gbatemp downloads

10. maxpowersin

Member maxpowersin GBAtemp Regular

India
    The Save and load times are pretty good. It's about 5-6 sec saving and 3-4 seconds for loading.

I tried it on few games and it's working nicely. Just follow the tips they give (i.e saving in pause menu and loading while in game).

Just 1 question

Can I use jkdefrag on the microsd card. I thought defragging mircosd cards was not good.

Any replies on this will be appreciated

thanks [​IMG]

11. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    i'd have to say this is a very stable beta release, RTS works perfectly for me, i am amazed.

12. MadBob
    OP

United Kingdom
    TC Forum has mirrors for this

13. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
  14. Akoi Meexx

Newcomer Akoi Meexx Newbie

United States
  15. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
  16. linFox

Member linFox GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I've also had it (and everything else) on my Downloads Page since it's release.

17. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thanks LinFox
    I'm going to chuck your link up on my wiki when get around to updating it [​IMG]

18. MadBob
    OP

United Kingdom
  19. linFox

Member linFox GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  20. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Thanks to RTS I was able to get decently far on Contra 4 with the harder difficulty settings.