Firefox or Chrome

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by xcrimsonstormx, Apr 6, 2014.

?

Firefox or Chrome?

1. Firefox

38.5%
  2. Chrome

46.2%
  3. Other

15.4%
  1. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    I've recently debated switching to Firefox because recently I've learned that Chrome uses more RAM then Firefox which I really don't like as I do a lot of multitasking so my question is which is better for performance Firefox or Chrome? I've been using Chrome for a while now and really enjoy it, but I've never really tried Firefox as it has always crapped out on me or started glitching, but maybe I should reconsider? :unsure:

2. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    If you have a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card stay away from Firefox.
    Firefox tended* (and may still) have problems with the new NVIDIA softwares that the team is experimenting with in the graphics drivers and GeForce experience.

3. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Firefox always goes super slow when I try multi-tasking, while Chrome works perfectly.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I lean towards Chrome. It's not perfect, but it works.

5. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    Disabling hardware acceleration solved all of the problems in that department.

6. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    I've never had any problems with firefox, I changed from chrome due to a memory leak in the version at the time

7. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Stay with chrome. Situation wont get much better then that anyway.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Pure performance, especially on some javascript heavy stuff, it is probably still chrome though firefox does not lack.

I stick with firefox mainly as I have yet to find a chrome equivalent that goes up against noscript, adblock, ghostery, greasemonkey, requestpolicy and the like. Sure chrome has some nice addons but they are not firefox class addons, however adblock, ghostery and a flash blocker all exist and chrome almost natively supports greasemonkey scripts so most will not be able to tell the difference. Certainly if a client ends up with Chrome as their main web browser then I am not going to change it back unless they ask.

I can not say I have tried my day to day web dev in chrome. Obviously I will render things in it but firebug and co do so well for me in firefox, I have not tried Firebug Lite which looks like it might do most of what I want (I mainly like the live editing of HTML and CSS).

oddMLan likes this.
  9. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    Never heard of FireBug but looks interesting
    EDIT: Using it now because of better Inspect Element :D

10. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    This is what I was worried about thanks everyone for the responses TIL that I should stick to Chrome unless I am interested in development or something particularly specific. I believe that for now I will stick with chrome as it does everything I like, but I will keep my eye on firefox as it seems to be not far behind in terms of multitasking.

11. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    I like Firefox a lot, but I'm starting to like Chrome more every day.That's the truth really, Chrome is better but I'm too lazy/used to Firefox to change.

12. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    If you use Google services a lot, like Google Drive, Docs, YouTube, or the search engine, then stick with Chrome. Google is starting to break their services when used in browsers other than their own (they are particularly vengeful with IE users).

If you do a lot of web shopping, then FireFox is a much better bet. It doesn't run as smooth as the others, but I have yet to find a web store that FF doesn't work on. The same cannot be said for IE or Chrome.

13. curley12

curley12 Mr.Awesome

Dec 24, 2012
    Somewhere
    i used to LOVE firefox but then i tried chrome and its sync.... ?.... AMAZING :D Plus i find firefox was always slow :'(

14. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    I've tried it before, but it was always slow so I never used it compared to Chrome I thought it has been a few years I might try it again, but apparently not.

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
  16. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    That's right, but I think Chrome's is a little bit easier since so many people already have a Google account and Chrome's sync does more than just bookmarks. When I set Chrome up on a new computer it will automatically pull down my history, bookmarks, extensions and even themes and my browser is ready to go in seconds. Can't really say the same about the others.

It's all subjective, though. xcrimsonstormx, why don't you try Firefox for a short while and see if you like it?

17. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Opera 12.16 <3

Seriously Firefox suffered from memory leaks far to much.
    Chrome only updates itself to increase its version number... and is part of the google botnet.

No, I stick with Opera <3

migles likes this.
  18. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I use Firefox myself. I don't really think one is necessarily better than the other, both are pretty nice.

Firefox's sync menu:
    [​IMG]
    :P (theme is included in either addons or preferences, not sure)

19. kavevor

kavevor Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2014
    Cuba

Adblock and ghostery exist on Chrome. For noscript and request policy, try HTTP Switchboard, it replaces both add-on (plus privacy features, and even support adblock filters).

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Had a quick scan of the addon page. Looks good and might even help to lessen the "it is there, but weaker" thing I often get when using Chrome's equivalents in the addon world.
    Thanks kavevor.