• Total voters

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
so, thanks FAST6191 for let me know about ghostery

so far i have: self destruction cookies, better privacy, adblock plus (with antitracker\remove social buttons enabled) and ghostery

do i need anything more? now i wanted something to protect websites from "spying" my tabs or java\flash abuse...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mainly use ghostery as it enables me to install something beyond adblock for clients and not have the hassle of getting them to use and maintain noscript (javascript blocking, including surrogate scripts for those popular scripts that some websites refuse to run without, and flash/java/embed blocking) and requestpolicy (external site request blocking), that it can also block cookies and saves me from keeping up with Taco/Beef Taco and all that fun is just icing on the cake. Obviously it is not as all encompassing as those other two things mentioned but I like it. Back on Windows I had https://github.com/rtezli/Blitzableiter installed (it is a noscript addon) which goes through flash programs and sanitises them, it is bit heavy handed though and was not updated for a while so I did not bother to try getting it set back up.

By and large I am not really aware of anything that spies on open tabs, such a thing would probably count as an exploit. It might try some stuff to figure out basic history (cookies of various forms, responses to facebook login requests was a nice one I saw a while back, "flash cookies"/USOs) and whatever else. A basic flash blocker/click to open flash thing will usually take care of flash and java autoplayers. That said I try not to have Java installed on my machines these days, and if I do it is certainly not going anywhere near my daily web browser.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
so, thanks FAST6191 for let me know about ghostery

so far i have: self destruction cookies, better privacy, adblock plus (with antitracker\remove social buttons enabled) and ghostery

do i need anything more? now i wanted something to protect websites from "spying" my tabs or java\flash abuse...

I bet you have more than one real-time av running too.
You realize the blocking extentions/addons you are using have access to your tabs and every page you goto?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of locked into using chrome/chromium for really only one specific plugin that isn't even available in the chrome store anymore. There is unfortunately no alternative either for Firefox or userscripts as far as I know...otherwise, I would probably be using something like dwb/luakit. (The plugin is all mangas reader)

Not only that, but i'm really disliking chrome ever since they started auto disabling plugins not from the store. Even with dev mode, a restart gives chrome the chance to disable the plugin anyways. My current solution is using a chromium build for windows and nabbing pepperflash and the PDF plugin from chrome, but even then some yt videos are restricted to 360p for some reason.

MrEl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why don't you just use both of them? I use both for different purpose. (i.e. I have ad-block and youtube download on firefox, but not on chrome)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I bet you have more than one real-time av running too.
You realize the blocking extentions/addons you are using have access to your tabs and every page you goto?

yes i realize that, blocking extensions are the perfect disguise for spy my tabs

i only own an av, and thats an high risk, av's are a backdoor for companies to steal my stuff and a obvious backdoor for NSA

after thinking about this i don't even know why i don't burry an hole and build my house there without any electrical device, ho thats right, because NSA have so many satellites everytime i try to count+1, 2 new satellites appear

(lol this post)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When Firefox got REALLY bogged down and just bloated beyond belief (3.x), I switched to Chrome. Never been happier. Fuck the Fox.
468242bb2f.png

Latest Chrome vs latest Firefox with the same tabs open (Firefox did have a few more addons installed though). It's really not that bad anymore.

Reactions: oddMLan

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
chrome if u need light broswer
firefox if u need more app and stability (grease monkey, adblock, downloadhelper in primis)

I have old pc and i use firefox, on linux is the only broswer can show moonlight video (with external app), and can replace video with mplayer plugins (very usefull for strange video streaming)

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A better comparison, both with no addons on same pages:
8c8ec58a63.png

So yeah it really doesn't matter all that much.

Yeah definitely sticking with chrome now. Firefox is using almost 11x more ram then Chrome is I'm looking at that the right way.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ok I noticed that now it is a little more even, why does chrome do that?

They do it so if one process/tab breaks while using Chrome, you don't need to shut the entire web browser down and instead can just close that particular process. Chrome even has its own little task manager where you can manage the stuff as well. Shift+ESC

EDIT: As for which Browser to use, I myself prefer Chrome because it's simply easier to sync all of your bookmarks and everything all in one place. Let's me sync everything in just a few seconds to my phone, tablet, and 2 PCs.

I do have Firefox installed though, mostly in case I ever need to access some older sites that don't like Chrome much.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok I noticed that now it is a little more even, why does chrome do that?
It's so that if one tab or plugin crashes, the rest of Chrome keeps working. The browser itself is also more responsive since if the page content is slow, the UI/rest of the browser won't be slowed down by this. Firefox will get this functionality eventually; it's currently included in the latest version if you manually enable a specific flag in the config, but it breaks many addons and plugins and has a few other issues (like not being able to restore the tabs you had open if you restart Firefox) because it's still a work in progress.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

oddMLan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firefox because customization, hands down. Currently using UX Nightly.
Also, I wouldn't like to install Google spyware on my computer, thanks.
(I know, there are forks without the spyware but I still prefer Firefox)

rctgamer3

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Been using Firefox since 2006 and only use Chrome if i need to use any of Google's services, like Maps or Gmail or Calendar. Chrome instantly heats my CPU up ten degrees and starts whirring, while FIrefox seldom does. (Time to clean my fan anyway, but that's not the point, lol)
i used to LOVE firefox but then i tried chrome and its sync.... ?.... AMAZING :D Plus i find firefox was always slow :'(

Firefox has it's own sync system so your argument is invalid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up