Fire Emblem: Three Houses is getting a DLC expansion that adds a fourth house

Get ready for more Fire Emblem, because today's Smash reveal for Byleth wasn't the only big news for the series. Hidden below Garreg Mach is a new, fourth house, called Ashen Wolves. It has an entire new set of students, such as Balthus, Hapi, Yuri, and Constance. This side story will be available in the upcoming DLC for the game, called Cindered Shadows, which launches February 13th as part of Fire Emblem: Three Houses' Expansion Pass.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god, who the heck cares? At this rate, there will be more fire emblem characters and games than there was Dynasty Warriors titles. At least one didn't have to be ass deep in lore to have fun with a Dynasty game, typically.

It's like unless you know to attack the left nipple ring of a boss with an axe in fire emblem, you were as good as losing all your best characters on its perma death mechanic.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my god, who the heck cares? At this rate, there will be more fire emblem characters and games than there was Dynasty Warriors titles. At least one didn't have to be ass deep in lore to have fun with a Dynasty game, typically.

It's like unless you know to attack the left nipple ring of a boss with an axe in fire emblem, you were as good as losing all your best characters on its perma death mechanic.
Uhhhhh

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok

Just play on normal or casual mode if you think it's too hard lol. Hard/Classic is always the sweet spot for me.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay i get it nintendo, it's your best selling fire emblem game ever. :blink:

Anyone here want to answer a question? Hypothetically... if i was to buy this game and play it. What are some "First time player" advice could you give me for making things not too tough? :ninja:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Anyone here want to answer a question? Hypothetically... if i was to buy this game and play it. What are some "First time player" advice could you give me for making things not too tough? :ninja:
Just play on Normal difficulty and it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. If you play Normal/Casual, there's no permadeath either, so you can make mistakes and still continue with no relative loss.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

play casual so there is no perma death. normal so you can do free battles for well... free. concentrate on raising your professor level before just about everything else, never auto instruct. pick a waifu/husbando and have fun.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
play casual so there is no perma death. normal so you can do free battles for well... free. concentrate on raising your professor level before just about everything else, never auto instruct. pick a waifu/husbando and have fun.
Free battles? Is that how you fight without advancing story to gain exp or something? Or some kind of training mode? :unsure:

Nekomaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Japanese title makes more sense now, the English should've been "Fire Emblem: Four Seasons".

"The Japanese title of Fire Emblem: Three Houses is 風花雪月 Fuuka Setsugetsu. If the kanjis are flipped over to 雪月風花 it is usually used to describe the four seasonal beauties (Snow, Moon, Wind, Flower)"

Source and more elaboration here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kantop...lem-%E9%A2%A8%E8%8A%B1%E9%9B%AA%E6%9C%88/amp/

Reactions: medoli900

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Free battles? Is that how you fight without advancing story to gain exp or something? Or some kind of training mode? :unsure:
pretty much. you have so many battle points per week based on your professor level. on normal however there is usually 1 auxillory battle that does not affect the number of battles you can do. they are free. for future reference. if you see a "!" with a green background on the calander do those as soon as you can. they are time based side quests. The tutorial will give you a better overal feel for how time works in the game though

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, sounds like something to keep in mind. :ninja:

Honestly I just get the idea that the series as a whole is too much for some people who aren't used to spending much of their resources to handle. I don't just mean the time it takes to learn or play the game, I mean like "Mind body and soul" levels of resources.

Trying to keep up with the story of all these characters, individual things about them and how they relate to the plot, what is going on in these wars and such, who is the bad guy (cause you know, plot twist, fake villains etc.) I don't need a plot more complicated than kingdom hearts.

Tactical battles about predictions and anticipation mixed with long preparation times to setup the characters and all that other stuff cause each one has different weapons, gear, and stuff to equip for their different classes. Then having to execute various plans that can and will change on the fly to adapt to each situation. If i'm going to put most of my brain power into this, i don't need a complex story that requires more brain power to understand. Pick one complicated thing at a time.

I have played simpler rpg games. Shining force for example is easy to understand from the story to the gameplay, as well as non tactical rpg like dragon quest that also have easy to follow stories and gameplay. I assume the reason for over reliance on the multitude of "variety" fire emblem has is just adding depth or longevity to the games replay value.

Of course if anyone here is free to debunk all my statements so there is better understanding about this, I appreciate it. I feel better knowing that people are willing to make curious observers who are interested but hesitant to try, feel more welcomed into understanding things. :ninja:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Trying to keep up with the story of all these characters, individual things about them and how they relate to the plot, what is going on in these wars and such, who is the bad guy (cause you know, plot twist, fake villains etc.) I don't need a plot more complicated than kingdom hearts.

Tactical battles about predictions and anticipation mixed with long preparation times to setup the characters and all that other stuff cause each one has different weapons, gear, and stuff to equip for their different classes. Then having to execute various plans that can and will change on the fly to adapt to each situation. If i'm going to put most of my brain power into this, i don't need a complex story that requires more brain power to understand. Pick one complicated thing at a time.
Story-wise, Three Houses is nowhere near as convoluted as Kingdom Hearts. You've got three major powers that ally with and war against each other in different ways. That's pretty much it. It only gets a little more complicated when you're interacting with each individual from your chosen house, but even then it's entirely up to you how much you want to interact with each of them or get to know their backstories. There are some trope-y characters and some not so trope-y characters. Anybody who watches anime won't have any issue keeping track.

On normal difficulty you don't have to plan much of anything when it comes to battle. You can literally just use the Pokemon strategy of over-leveling one or two characters and faceroll everything, and weapons are essentially rock-paper-scissors. Anybody who has played any turn-based strategy game is probably going to want to play a few battles and then start a new game at least one difficulty up, otherwise you'll be bored about halfway through. Menus are consolidated and intuitive, certainly nowhere as arcane as PSX-era stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Even for people who have never once played a Fire Emblem or turn-based strategy game in their lives, I'd say Three Houses is a great entry point. The tutorial is plenty thorough without being too grating.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait to see how this will relate to the stories of the other three... They all succeed only due to the presence of Byleth, so... What will happen to the lords? Who will die? Is this the fabled "everyone lives" route?!

I'm ready. Bring it on.

Reactions: Xzi

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Story-wise, Three Houses is nowhere near as convoluted as Kingdom Hearts. You've got three major powers that ally with and war against each other in different ways. That's pretty much it. It only gets a little more complicated when you're interacting with each individual from your chosen house, but even then it's entirely up to you how much you want to interact with each of them or get to know their backstories. There are some trope-y characters and some not so trope-y characters. Anybody who watches anime won't have any issue keeping track.
Huh. I always got the idea it was heavily political like final fantasy tactics or something. I'm not huge on that sort of thing. Even if the game has some magical fantasy elements to it, is just when they go too far about talking and having leaders and meetings and discussions bout plans and whatnot that suddenly sounds boring. (Probably why I really dislike watching those mecha anime shows like gundam)

Shining force is easy to understand, who the heroes and villains are. From start to end, the player know their goal and purpose for the characters he command. That way, the game can focus on the adventure or journey of what happens between that final confrontation. It won't have various plot twist of who the true bad guy is or who the true hero is, and characters are probably a trope to a degree that they don't have to be developed much since they all share a common goal of saving their homeland or whatever. It doesn't feel bloated with many options or what I consider distractions like

• What house will you choose
  • What unit will you spend time with
  • What unit will you be improving their effectiveness with
  • What unit will you decide to romance or pair with
  • What mission will you choose to do
  • What path will you choose to follow
  • Will you say yes or no to this question
I guess for someone reading this, they think "Well duh, that's what makes the game great" which I agree for sure. But for most people who don't understand the game that well, will choose to balance everything as much as possible. Because a first time player will try to experience everything in a single playthrough assuming it's the intended way and won't have the least amount of trouble. Which is bad if that's not really how the game is intended to play.

A better example of what I mean is an rpg with character development that can be used in a variety of ways. One with offense, defense, or magic. If one of these fits your playstyle well, you can pick one. Offense for "Glass cannon" defense for "tank" or magic for "spellcaster" but someone who doesn't know better may try to balance all three and find that the game wasn't designed for that. Maybe the game doesn't give you enough skill points to cover all the categories of things (Borderlands for example) and be disappointed they messed up and have to start the game over. No one likes being forced to start over as much as being forced to do things a way unfamiliar to them.

In short, having that much variety is good thing. Is only a problem if the game doesn't inform the player on what is important or vital to advancing the game and what is optional and just side content. Experienced players know better, but new ones may not know the difference. Of course I guess the best way to get experience is to play the game, but making it approachable is just as important. Obviously fire emblem has done that in later games which is good. I just was curious how good of a job it has done. Considering it selling well, I suppose probably the best. :ninja:

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?