Fire Emblem: Do you reset on death?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by LTK, May 11, 2013.

1. LTK
    OP

LTK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    West Midlands
    My friend said whenever a character dies on FE he just resets. Who else does this? I was thinking what's the point in playing on normal mode if you just reset?

2. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Well think of it this way, if he plays through it on newcomer and loses units, there's no penalty, but in classic mode the penalty is harsh.
    He's committed to making it through without casualties basically.

3. Metab.

Metab. Check my signature for the latest news on the 3DS

Mar 23, 2013
    I did that on the old DS game.
    I hate losing any troops.

4. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Eh different play styles, plus, with how RNG can be, unless you wind up with a god unit early, you won't be able to complete the game likely.

5. LTK
    OP

LTK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    West Midlands
    Hmm, I see your point.

6. Kikirini

Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

May 18, 2011
    United States
    Vermont, USA
    I always reset xD NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND.

EZ-Megaman, Ergo and NahuelDS like this.
  7. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm thankful for casual mode in the 3DS version. Past FE games were super painful decisions. Lose a unit in the first few turns? Reset and replan. Lose a unit you cared for because of a bad decision JUST as you can finally kill the boss level after a long time? I can't remember what I did but that was the thing that annoyed me about the older series even though it's a standard gameplay element for the games.

Funnily enough, they give you extra units in Awakening to compensate for any lost unit but since I'm on casual mode, I've got WAY too many units that I can't decide who to use for my team. This is almost like Pokemon with swords.

noob killer likes this.
  8. avran89

avran89 ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!

May 10, 2011
    United States
    Pokemon League
    I've been guilty of this plenty of times, specially if someone like Donnel or Henry dies since they can grow to have god-like stats.

9. BlackAngel5

BlackAngel5 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Sword Art Online
    I always do this XD. Even if it's some low-level character that I didn't really like, it's a nice challenge to be able to beat a whole level without any casualties and thinking of what you could do differently to prevent said casualties, and once you're actually able to accomplish that it's an awesome feeling :lol: . Once I had to reset a level 5 times because every time I kept losing a character in the final turn D:. I personally think it's the classic mode that really makes the game unique.

10. potato3334

potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    California
    FEA's cast is actually smaller compared to most of the handheld fire emblems

On Topic:
    Think of resetting the game when an ally dies as creating an artificial win requirement. When an ally dies, it's game over.

11. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    Using the reset to undo a death in a Hardcore mode game is far more common that you would think. Considering how much time and effort is normally put into a character that you can lose.

12. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Im doing a reset run on classic currently, then im going to play on hard mode with no resets but with the knowledge of characters and levels when iv completed it once. I just want to know what characters and possible kids i can get if i keep certain players alive and it will make hard mode much more intense because some of the kids are rediculously overpowered and ill obviously want to keep their mum alive and if i dont, i can kiss goodbye to the kids which i already know about. This will make playing hard more really challanging and fun coz of decisions ill have to make.

Playing classic mode and not resetings means you will never know about the possible kids thus what you dont know, doesnt hurt you. My way however will be much more dramatic and fun (and devestating if i lose noire :O)

13. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I dont.

But that because i could never make it though a FE before thanks to my anxiety over losing units. But then you end up with tons of units that you never use... So i usually lost interest because of being overwhelmed with units and stuff.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  14. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    I do it if an important character dies. On final fantasy tactics, if you lose a mage, you can recruit or build another mage later, but fire emblem, if you lose Sumia for example, you will never reach some cool parts of the game. Now if characters from bonus missions dies, I don care, I keep going with the game.

15. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    No Man Gets Left Behind!

16. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    Casualties are a part of war! Carry them in your heart and move on with the campaign!

17. DiabloStorm

DiabloStorm Five Gold Star Medalist

May 29, 2011
    Japan
    Charicific Valley
    That's what I do...and I'm on FE 12 right now, I also reload saves to get good growths (playing hardest difficulty it's pretty much mandatory)

18. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Off topic but I've been playing against the "old" Fire Emblem teams and constantly recruiting a ton of more new members and they're actually starting to clutter up my roster. Is there a remedy for this?

19. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    I sure as shit dont.

If theres no story difference and you cant commit to letting your allies stay dead, then all youre doing is resetting alot and delaying the story.

20. avran89

avran89 ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!

May 10, 2011
    United States
    Pokemon League
    Unequip their weapons and send them into battle as sword fodder.

BortzANATOR likes this.