ROM Hack Fire Emblem Conversation Editor (Awakening/Fates)

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so, I really want to use this tool. But every time I try to open the .bat file (on windows 10, so it might be the same problem), I get the attached err.log (error.txt)

Actually, I fixed this, but now I'm having an issue where it opens, but there is no picture and no way to write in text. I tried to take a picture, but it won't upload.

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually having that issue right now. What did you do to get it to open out of curiosity?
So, basically, java's error thing said it was trying to find a file that could not be found, so what I did was move the stuff in the fates file (in the core package stuff) straight into the resource folder without the upper level folder. Does that make sense? After that, it found it.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
So, basically, java's error thing said it was trying to find a file that could not be found, so what I did was move the stuff in the fates file (in the core package stuff) straight into the resource folder without the upper level folder. Does that make sense? After that, it found it.
That's exactly what I did and it opened up for me too. The rest of the sounds don't work with just the core pack installed, you need the sound pack and bgm pack overwriting some stuff in the core pack's files as well. After that the character voices should be fine, and I know how to put backgrounds up, but I still haven't managed to actually change any text for the supports I want to edit despite rereading the user documentation a few times (it was easy to understand but nothing was working), and the my unit editor simply shows a blank screen and saves a blank .png file. I'm getting to where I want to ask someone to hand me a copy of their working FE Conversation Editor.

Kinzie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also got it to work on my Macbook!! As for the picture and text not appearing, I initially had the issue, but just a matter of clicking the right things. I'm not an incredibly technical person, but let me see if I can explain it and be helpful: You open up the program, and it shows no picture or way to input text. However, when you go up to "File" and click "New Support Conversation," it'll ask you to input all those details, such as who is in the conversation and what type it is. After that, it'll show you the text box!! As for the picture, what I did was click "Convert to script" and then "Reload text," and the side box with the support image will appear! The My Unit customizer also worked for me as it should.
I haven't experimented with it beyond that, and I don't know if it will work for you but I'm going to dig into the User Guide and figure it out!

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also got it to work on my Macbook!! As for the picture and text not appearing, I initially had the issue, but just a matter of clicking the right things. I'm not an incredibly technical person, but let me see if I can explain it and be helpful: You open up the program, and it shows no picture or way to input text. However, when you go up to "File" and click "New Support Conversation," it'll ask you to input all those details, such as who is in the conversation and what type it is. After that, it'll show you the text box!! As for the picture, what I did was click "Convert to script" and then "Reload text," and the side box with the support image will appear! The My Unit customizer also worked for me as it should.
I haven't experimented with it beyond that, and I don't know if it will work for you but I'm going to dig into the User Guide and figure it out!
Unfortunately, I can type things, but the picture still isn't showing up at all and I have all the fates stuff installed in the correct folders. MyUnit stuff works sort of, as well. Thanks though. I'll do some more research after I finish this stupid Communications research paper. At least next quarter is college graduation! WOOO

New error txt for when I try to select things in my unit editor or the "reload text" button

Attachments

• error.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited by Feythnin,

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Nothing's coming up in the picture where the support background is supposed to be, though at least I figured out how to edit support files now. The My Unit Editor is still blank too and hovering over Game mode doesn't give me any options. Granted, I've only installed the fates pack so that could be why but the text box and portraits are not coming up at all when I hit reload or next. I'm thoroughly stuck.

Last edited by Blue Sun,

Kinzie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing's coming up in the picture where the support background is supposed to be, though at least I figured out how to edit support files now. The My Unit Editor is still blank too and hovering over Game mode doesn't give me any options. Granted, I've only installed the fates pack so that could be why but the text box and portraits are not coming up at all when I hit reload or next. I'm thoroughly stuck.
Hmmm.... I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to run through the .sh script and not the .jar folder, so don't count me an expert, but I'd try downloading the Awakening pack as well, and make sure they're in all the right places. You should remove them from the "resource-1" type of file that they're unzipped into, and copy the file that says "awakening" or "fates directly into the resource file. If that doesn't work, maybe try downloading the program all over again? Give your computer a restart? Maybe something along those lines.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I think I may finally have it by now. Apparently, what I did was install the packs's resources folders from both Awakening and Fates and put them into the root of FE Conversation Editor as instructed while also copying the contents of said resources folders to the global folder. I'm also running the sw.bat file in case that helps. When I did all this, everything started working like a charm. Thanks for the help everyone!

Kinzie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to keep commenting, but I was wondering: Has anyone gotten this to function on their Mac computer through the .sh script, like its supposed to? I have everything downloaded properly, and it works when I open up the .jar file directly, but the developer did say that they didn't suggest doing that. I know it should work, since I got on a PC and downloaded everything the exact same way I did on my Macbook, and it opened up perfectly through the .bat files. Yet, when I try to run the .sh script on my Mac, it only opens up my coding program, and I've tried multiple ways to open it through Terminal, but to no avail. Is there just some issue where it doesn't want to run on a Mac computer? Is it some sort of bug? Am I missing something obvious?

CharlotteMM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if this was already asked or just very clear in general but how do I implement my custom support in my game? I'm playing Awakening with Unassuming Venusaur's gay/expanded support mod. I'm very new to this so I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance.

AgahnimD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you who have been able to edit conversations and everything, which .lz am I supposed to open? I've un-encrypted and dumped the data but am not sure where else to go from here. Do I need to decompress a specific .lz through FEAT or does this program do that automatically? Thank you!

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you who have been able to edit conversations and everything, which .lz am I supposed to open? I've un-encrypted and dumped the data but am not sure where else to go from here. Do I need to decompress a specific .lz through FEAT or does this program do that automatically? Thank you!
Just drag a .bin.lz file into the program window and it will open so long as it is a text file.

Nicaiah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't work on Windows10.

I double click or I open a terminal window (window black,I don't know english name of this...), nothing.
I just try every possibility but nothing happen.

A solution for work on W10 ?

RasenShot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So... Any news on how to add conversations made with this editor to the actual game having already UV's hacks? Or is that just not possible?

Reddazrael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sorry if this was already asked or just very clear in general but how do I implement my custom support in my game? I'm playing Awakening with Unassuming Venusaur's gay/expanded support mod. I'm very new to this so I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance.

So... Any news on how to add conversations made with this editor to the actual game having already UV's hacks? Or is that just not possible?

I'm not sure how far you guys got. I'm going to assume that you completed the conversation coding and saved it as a .bin.lz file. At this point, you just need to drag-and-drop into your romfs folder. This is the path:

Awakening: romfs_\m\E
Fates: romfs_\m\@E

You want to drop the conversation file into the E folder (Awakening) or the @E folder (Fates). That's where all of the supports are located. At this point, just rebuild the romfs folder into a file again and you're good to go.

Granted, I'm pretty sure this only works if the conversation option has already been implemented by UV (or yourself, if you do it). For instance, if you want a support between, say, Forrest and Xander, if they haven't been added to each other's support lists, your conversation won't be accessible because as far as the game's concerned, it doesn't exist.

Last edited by Reddazrael,
Reactions: RasenShot

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how far you guys got. I'm going to assume that you completed the conversation coding and saved it as a .bin.lz file. At this point, you just need to drag-and-drop into your romfs folder. This is the path:

You want to drop the conversation file into the E folder (Awakening) or the @E folder (Fates). That's where all of the supports are located. At this point, just rebuild the romfs folder into a file again and you're good to go.

Granted, I'm pretty sure this only works if the conversation option has already been implemented by UV (or yourself, if you do it). For instance, if you want a support between, say, Forrest and Xander, if they haven't been added to each other's support lists, your conversation won't be accessible because as far as the game's concerned, it doesn't exist.
You are correct about all of that. A couple of things to add for those who are interested:
1. The file names for supports have to be in a specific format (that I can't remember). Text files for other purposes can have any name so long as you are not replacing a pre-existing file. In that case, the name of the file should match the original. Text files for other purposes are usually identified by the individual ID tags for each line of text.
2. The file location for Fates (never checked Awakening, but probably is similar) changes depending on the language of your game. Japanese just goes in the m folder. Other languages go in /m/@F, @I, @S, @U, or @G. English goes in @E.

Reactions: Reddazrael

Feythnin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still getting no background at all. The same error message as the post on the previous page. If anybody could help, that would be great. :D

Reddazrael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've noticed that this eats parts of the script sometimes when you convert from Game to Script. An example of this would be in Paralogue 16: Abducted. The last tab, ED1, is the final conversation of that paralogue. Part of the dialogue vanishes when you switch views, and it remains gone when you switch back.

example1.png example2.png example3.png

Amazing work, by the way. I absolutely love this tool. I've been playing around with it for the past few days and it's been tons of fun.

RasenShot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Alright, if I understood correctly, all I have to do is save the convo as .bin.lz and then just put it in that folder, right? But what do you mean with "rebuild the romfs folder into a file again"?

Also, I want to save a convo for MU, but I can't seem to figure out which file is for that, as the Editor saves it as "username" and there's nothing like that in the @E folder. Tried to search for it using "Kamui" with the corresponding japanese characters but to no avail. And I'm pretty sure UV has added at least a couple M!Corrin supports.

EDIT: Wait... where is the romfs folder again...? Man, I'm feeling really dumb. Sorry.

Last edited by RasenShot,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-