1. hdx

OP hdx Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Just wanted to show off my work. I added HDMI (via GCVideo) to Wii Mini. If I'm not mistaken this is the first ever HDMI modded Wii Mini out there. I know some people added Component video back which is definitely easier mod to do. HDMI mod is superior and the only 100% true digital solution so I put extra effort and went HDMI route. I used Arthrimus board which turned out to be a perfect fit if you remove one cap from Wii Mini's motherboard. This way added PCB can lay flat on the motherboard. My Wii Mini mobo is RVO-CPU-01.

I also installed WiFi card, connector and other passive components salvaged from an old Wii mobo. These mods require bluebomb hack and installing full Wii System Menu in order to restore 480p and WiFi in Settings.

Enough talk, some photos:

IMG_2439.JPG IMG_2438.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

I was doing more extensive testing today and all I can say is that I highly recommend modding any Wii with HDMI. 100% true digital 480p looks beautiful. I actually see a noticeable upgrade in sharpness and color rendition compared to the official Component cable.

Last edited by hdx, Dec 3, 2020
  2. kenkarru

kenkarru Newbie
    Newcomer

Poland
    Hello, great job.

I am trying to add component video output to wii mini. I led out the wires from AVE-RVL BU9955EKV (RGB) and i added wire to connetor video (mode option TP238).

I instal a d2x-cios for wii mini and when i play game i have black and white picture on component cable. I the other case a have no imige on component cable only on compositive.

How add 480p on wii mini? New ios? THX

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola The Xbox Guy

Canada
    Good job OP, you must have the nicest Wii Mini in the world.

Zurdonx and The Real Jdbye like this.
  4. TimPV3

TimPV3 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Very impressive OP!

Last edited by TimPV3, Mar 6, 2021
  5. fleshdrive68

fleshdrive68 Newbie
    Newcomer

Uruguay
    Hey! I'm new to this community, and i would like to know what board models did you use? Thanks in advance!

6. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    Would really enjoy a diy how-to if possible!

Love that Wii/Wii Mini still get the attention they deserve!

7. hdx

OP hdx Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    @CMDreamer Sorry I won't provide any instructions on how to do it. As you can see this is a more advanced modification. You have to hand solder to 0.5mm pitch IC legs which is extremely difficult without proper equipment. You basically have to have a microscope to do that. To be honest it doesn't really differ from any other GCVideo board installation if you've already used these on normal Wiis.

@fleshdrive68 I'm using Arthrimus' HDMI boards. He's not selling these, you have to manufacture them yourself.

@kenkarru For component video you have to restore some of the analog circuity first. There are some passive components missing. I know the community members made dedicated PCBs for easier modding but I haven't tested it personally. Component is easier but it's inferior to HDMI mod so I'm not interested.
    For System Menu upgrade you need to find a *.wad file but be careful as full System Menu may brick your Wii Mini as it works with IOS80 with WiFi support. Make sure to install nowifi patched IOS afterwards to make sure you won't have problems. Or just install a WiFi card - this is what I recommend.

Last edited by hdx, Mar 16, 2021
    MrCokeacola and zfreeman like this.
  8. fleshdrive68

fleshdrive68 Newbie
    Newcomer

Uruguay
    Ok. Thanks!

9. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch g o o g l e m e

United States
    Sweet, didn't think it was possible

Draft saved Draft deleted