prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
Square Enix gave Final Fantasy XIII a huge launch push in Tokyo today, with a star-studded early countdown event at the world famous Tsutaya retailer in central Shibuya.

But there really wasn't a need for all that. FFXIII was already a huge success prior to launch as initial shipments for the game topped the 1.8 million mark.

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada revealed the surprising figure in a brief introduction at the launch event. He said that Square Enix hopes to build up the game with the PlayStation 3 hardware and eventually reach the two million mark.

In Japan, this would be an impressive feat. The PlayStation 3 userbase there is currently just 4 million.

We're of course glad that Square Enix decided to celebrate the game's release with the launch event, as for Final Fantasy fans it was an event to remember. The event kicked off at 6:35 am with a live performance of the theme song "Kimi ga Iru Kara" ("Because You are Here") by songstress Sayuri Sugiwara.

final-fantasy-xiii-nears-2-million-20091217104347277-000.jpg

After Wada's speech, producer Yoshinori Kitase took the stage and joked that when FFXIII first entered development, his son was in the first grade, but has now advanced all the way to junior high.

final-fantasy-xiii-nears-2-million-20091217104329450-000.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-nears-2-million-20091217104334028-000.jpg

The first buyer gives Wada a big Obama-style bow. This guy arrived at noon the day prior.

Talents Maomi Yuki, Ai Takahashi (of Morning Musume fame) and Kazuhiro Ozawa joined in for a countdown (which started at 13, of course). These three have nothing to do with FFXIII, although they did claim to be big fans. Publishers often bring out celebrities to their press events as a means of drawing out the mainstream cameras. This strategy seemed to work today, as the launch event was packed with press and television crews.

final-fantasy-xiii-nears-2-million-20091217104351699-000.jpg

The first floor of Tsutaya, packed with press and 100 lucky fans.

Outside of the official Tsutaya event, long lines appeared throughout Tokyo, topping 300 at some Akihabara and Ikebukuro game shops. You can see the lines at Impress Watch and Famitsu.com.

final-fantasy-xiii-nears-2-million-20091217104337106-000.jpg

final-fantasy-xiii-nears-2-million-20091217104343418-000.jpg

The line stretches around Tsutaya and the department store next door.

A large shipment doesn't necessarily translate one to one to game sales. In Japan, no PS3 game has reached the million sales mark. FFXIII is pretty much guaranteed at least this much, but we'll have to watch the sales charts next week to see how much of that 1.8 million initial shipment reaches consumer hands.

IGN

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All I know is that one of those copies is coming to my house, and it may come today or next Monday.

I hope it's good considering that I spent $90 + shipping on it. Oh well if I beat it too fast there's always fanboys in my area with their mouths open like fish who will pay me more than that to get the game if I sell it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All cultures have their things that are like moths to a lightbulb for them. Americans like idiocy and fatty foods. Europeans like being douchebags and "football". Africans like elephants and "football". Russians like snow and communism. Mexicans like burritos and fiery languages. As for the Asians, they like Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy. Any Final Fantasy game for the next fifty years is going to sell well, even if it's utter garbage.

Count my racial stereotypes and crude jokes go go go!

EDIT: Also, if someone was going to say something involving the elephants and football comment, please say so. I just had a very, very weird deja vu moment here with that.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Japanese, actually, just really like bad RPGs, anime, and love pillows.

Not saying that Final Fantasy is a bad RPG series, cuz I like the lot of them.
Of course, they are getting a bit silly. What with the laughable narratives, bad character design, and using common JRPG stereotypes (for example, a pretty girl with a miniskirt donning as little armor possible, wielding a bigass sword, and taking down hordes of enemy soldiers).

It's getting kinda old, and ridiculous, especially now when graphics have gotten to a point where they are almost life-like.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Jaems said:
Of course, they are getting a bit silly. What with the laughable narratives, bad character design, and using common JRPG stereotypes (for example, a pretty girl with a miniskirt donning as little armor possible, wielding a bigass sword, and taking down hordes of enemy soldiers).
Heavenly Sword!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Jaems said:
Heavenly Sword!

More like too many games to name. This is all because JRPGs are mostly aimed for young to middle aged men and their fantasies, have you all learned this yet.

Intimidator88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Idk about it i mean a female lead? We all remember what happened last time that happened! ff10-2 lol Even though i liked that game it just doesnt feel like final fantasy inless u got a strong lead role and the last few 1s havnt really gave this to us :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging