Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I have a 1080p monitor and GTX280 video card with Pete's OpenGL plugin... what would be a good configuration for FFVIII? For some reason the graphics looks really fucked up... I'll show you what I mean.

Also when the people and stuff move, the graphics are very unnatural and all over the place, meaning that textures are very blocky and stuff... I tried with all hardware plugins and they look the same. Software plugin looks fine, but I think it uses native PSX graphics... is this what the game is supposed to be?

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you using any of the texture filtering modes?
I don't think FFVIII likes those.

That said, it's a PSX FF game, it's not going to look that much better no matter what you do.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I had purchased FFVIII for PC version thinking that I would be able to play the game at higher quality and resolution than PSX. However all the graphics are compressed and can't utilize any type of hardware enhancements, even in the PC version. The game wasn't even playable unless I disabled AA/AF. It was sad, but this game for me is associated with some treasured memories and its poor conversion won't dilute my fondness for this game.

My recommendation is to play it in windowed mode if the poor stretching bothers you so much >.>

edit:
Westside said:
...is this what the game is supposed to be?
Actually no, absolutely not, it looks much better on CRT televisions connected to a Playstation or PS2 than it ever will digitally unless it's re-released with enhancements.

D

Deleted-188346

Westside said:
I have a 1080p monitor and GTX280 video card with Pete's OpenGL plugin... what would be a good configuration for FFVIII? For some reason the graphics looks really fucked up... I'll show you what I mean.

Also when the people and stuff move, the graphics are very unnatural and all over the place, meaning that textures are very blocky and stuff... I tried with all hardware plugins and they look the same. Software plugin looks fine, but I think it uses native PSX graphics... is this what the game is supposed to be?
It's supposed to be a little better than that, definately.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually that's how the playstation works. There was a discussion about this a bit ago. Basically the playstation used "inaccurate" 3D calculations, so the polygons seem to jump when you run at a resolution higher than native, since at a native resolution the jumpiness normally wasn't enough to be noticed, so it wouldn't move over even one pixel, let alone 5/10 (which is what makes it noticeable at the higher resolution).

It's how the playstation works, and you need to emulate it like that in order to properly emulate it.

Things look "better" on a CRT because you're generally much further away and can't see how blurry it actually is.
tongue.gif
Stick your TV right up next to your monitor and then tell me which has a better display.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Rydian said:
Actually that's how the playstation works. There was a discussion about this a bit ago. Basically the playstation used "inaccurate" 3D calculations, so the polygons seem to jump when you run at a resolution higher than native, since at a native resolution the jumpiness normally wasn't enough to be noticed, so it wouldn't move over even one pixel, let alone 5/10 (which is what makes it noticeable at the higher resolution).

It's how the playstation works, and you need to emulate it like that in order to properly emulate it.

Things look "better" on a CRT because you're generally much further away and can't see how blurry it actually is.
tongue.gif
Stick your TV right up next to your monitor and then tell me which has a better display.
I see, I see. This is a really good explanation, thanks a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-