Final Fantasy VIII and epsxe

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Westside, Jun 20, 2010.

Jun 20, 2010

Final Fantasy VIII and epsxe by Westside at 4:27 AM (2,589 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I have a 1080p monitor and GTX280 video card with Pete's OpenGL plugin... what would be a good configuration for FFVIII? For some reason the graphics looks really fucked up... I'll show you what I mean.
    [​IMG]
    Also when the people and stuff move, the graphics are very unnatural and all over the place, meaning that textures are very blocky and stuff... I tried with all hardware plugins and they look the same. Software plugin looks fine, but I think it uses native PSX graphics... is this what the game is supposed to be?

2. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Are you using any of the texture filtering modes?
    I don't think FFVIII likes those.

That said, it's a PSX FF game, it's not going to look that much better no matter what you do.

3. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Yeah, I had purchased FFVIII for PC version thinking that I would be able to play the game at higher quality and resolution than PSX. However all the graphics are compressed and can't utilize any type of hardware enhancements, even in the PC version. The game wasn't even playable unless I disabled AA/AF. It was sad, but this game for me is associated with some treasured memories and its poor conversion won't dilute my fondness for this game.

My recommendation is to play it in windowed mode if the poor stretching bothers you so much >.>

edit:
    Actually no, absolutely not, it looks much better on CRT televisions connected to a Playstation or PS2 than it ever will digitally unless it's re-released with enhancements.

4. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    It's supposed to be a little better than that, definately.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Actually that's how the playstation works. There was a discussion about this a bit ago. Basically the playstation used "inaccurate" 3D calculations, so the polygons seem to jump when you run at a resolution higher than native, since at a native resolution the jumpiness normally wasn't enough to be noticed, so it wouldn't move over even one pixel, let alone 5/10 (which is what makes it noticeable at the higher resolution).

It's how the playstation works, and you need to emulate it like that in order to properly emulate it.

Things look "better" on a CRT because you're generally much further away and can't see how blurry it actually is. [​IMG] Stick your TV right up next to your monitor and then tell me which has a better display.

6. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Running any PSX game in a resolution other than native will make any graphical flaws WAY more visible. End of.

7. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I see, I see. This is a really good explanation, thanks a lot.

8. ryan90

Member ryan90 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    theres a psn release on psp, thats your best bet as it looks good on the small screen