Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually to get the joke I would have to upload the entire cutscene, which I wouldn't be very comfortable with, since it can be a LITTLE BIT offensive tbh. It was supposed to be a parody of the current state of the game, the crappy square enix catalog in the last years, some failed translation attempts and operation suzaku/project crystallis, but since I was dubbing it would work... I just wrote a lot of nonsense to test script reinsertion.

Also yeah, it's a high level trolling edition and the fonts are the ones already included in the game (see the OP), I just think nobody have seen it before in use so I uploaded some pics.

~Sky

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually to get the joke I would have to upload the entire cutscene, which I wouldn't be very comfortable with, since it can be a LITTLE BIT offensive tbh. It was supposed to be a parody of the current state of the game, the crappy square enix catalog in the last years, some failed translation attempts and operation suzaku/project crystallis, but since I was dubbing it would work... I just wrote a lot of nonsense to test script reinsertion.

Also yeah, it's a high level trolling edition and the fonts are the ones already included in the game (see the OP), I just think nobody have seen it before in use so I uploaded some pics.

~Sky

I want to see it even more now. For all the reasons you listed.

The Gentleman.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's certainly convenient, but the pre-set font in the files is too bukly. It's good for cutscenes, but not much else. Imagine writing "Platinum Rapier" in that huge font - it will extend well beyond the command menu.

Since you can swap around images, I assume the same could be done with the font. I suggest using a slimmer one - the Birth by Sleep font that Truthkey used before he called it quits.

263zjo8.png

See how nice and perfectly fitting that font is?

coredecepts

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's certainly convenient, but the pre-set font in the files is too bukly. It's good for cutscenes, but not much else. Imagine writing "Platinum Rapier" in that huge font - it will extend well beyond the command menu.

Since you can swap around images, I assume the same could be done with the font. I suggest using a slimmer one - the Birth by Sleep font that Truthkey used before he called it quits.

263zjo8.png

See how nice and perfectly fitting that font is?
If I understand correctly, there are a few different fonts in the game. There are also a lot of instances where, instead of calling up a font, the game is actually displaying an image with pre-set text on it. We'll be careful to use the right fonts in the right situations.

We will definitely consider using the BBS font, though.

Rest assured, it will all look good.

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
coredecepts is right, that image you're showing uses another font the game already has, it just happens the same with the cutscenes font, nobody had seen it before truthkey's patch, but yeah, no font edition has been done there either. Is the actual game program the one that chooses what font to use for each text.

The Gentleman.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coredecepts is right, that image you're showing uses another font the game already has, it just happens the same with the cutscenes font, nobody had seen it before truthkey's patch, but yeah, no font edition has been done there either. Is the actual game program the one that chooses what font to use for each text.

Ah, well if its already in the game, guess I can't contribute much as far as that is concerned. But for perspective, if you go with the standard font that you posted...well...

2d8rzhk.png

In my opinion, not a whole lot of considerations needed with this.

The Gentleman.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright then.

In any case, since I'm already here, I wouldn't mind offering what I have to give if you're up for it. If you guys need any additional editors, or even image editors (as you've said, some texts are images instead of fonts), I'll be here lurking about.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
The BBS font doesn't fit the game at all and neither does the one already contained therein (the cheap Times New Roman knockoff). I'm not sure if you guys glossed over my font suggestion (Purista Font Family), but here goes again: http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-type-0-romhacking.340183/page-11#post-4517634

The font already in the game doesn't match the game.
I'm sorry, what? If this is just a translation (Which from the sounds of everything it is) wouldn't the best option be to keep everything as close to the original as possible while only fixing issues with text/readability?

The Gentleman.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BBS font doesn't fit the game at all and neither does the one already contained therein (the cheap Times New Roman knockoff). I'm not sure if you guys glossed over my font suggestion (Purista Font Family), but here goes again: http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-type-0-romhacking.340183/page-11#post-4517634
Dude, that's way too big. Look at "Party" and "System." They're already going past borders. The BBS font is perfect in that it's slim. Way too often in patches, English translations of Japanese words take up more space, since they require more characters in sequence. That's why it is important to choose a font small enough to be compact, and large enough to be read normally.

Once more, the BBS font is perfect for that. Plus, it's already in the game apparently...so, no reason to tamper.

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd stick with the ingame font for now, until we see how everything looks. We only tested cutscene text after all, and a prerendered one at that.

Kairos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The font already in the game doesn't match the game.
I'm sorry, what? If this is just a translation (Which from the sounds of everything it is) wouldn't the best option be to keep everything as close to the original as possible while only fixing issues with text/readability?
I don't disagree (should make sure everything is accurate with what's there), though something tells me they probably wouldn't use the one already found in the file. Do they normally have two separate files (fonts) for localization?

Dude, that's way too big. Look at "Party" and "System." They're already going past borders.
I can decrease the size if you'd like, but whether or not something is too "long" depends on the translation wouldn't it?

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't disagree (should make sure everything is accurate with what's there), though something tells me they probably wouldn't use the one already found in the file. Do they normally have two separate files (fonts) for localization?

I can decrease the size if you'd like, but whether or not something is too "long" depends on the translation wouldn't it?

He meant height. The Y's go down past the border.
As far as the fonts, no. The fonts contained within the game are usually both English and Japanese for the parts where English characters are used. Sometimes however there are both Half-Width and Full-Width character sets which make localization/translation much easier as you don't need to add in a new font. (Usually)
My vote is to keep using the current font unless some problem arises. Just my opinion though.

The Gentleman.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So you'd rather wait until the translation is done, then spend additional time on a font when you could've set everything up simultaneously by sticking with the safe bet? I don't see a whole lot of logic at play in there. And besides...I don't see why you're so obsessed with your choice. It's uber generic. Not to mention, a huge pain in the ass to re-size and re-swap everything just for a generic font...when we already have several IN the game. It's just weird, is all. And a whole lot of unnecessary work as well.

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
So you'd rather wait until the translation is done, then spend additional time on a font when you could've set everything up simultaneously by sticking with the safe bet? I don't see a whole lot of logic at play in there. And besides...I don't see why you're so obsessed with your choice. It's uber generic. Not to mention, a huge pain in the ass to re-size and re-swap everything just for a generic font...when we already have several IN the game. It's just weird, is all. And a whole lot of unnecessary work as well.

It's very easy and quick to replace the font. The process would take a day if not less. He's merely suggesting it as a matter of opinion.
Also you used Über wrong.

Kairos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: No point in all that rubbish.

But CrashmanX pretty much addressed that strange "additional time" statement before me. Nevermind my font suggestion if it only intervenes with progress.

Making it smaller (battle):
gMLISvD.jpg

CrashmanX

Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
I didn't feel like inserting a special character for a single four-letter word. :glare:

No I mean that Über means above or over or along those lines.. So saying something is way Über doesn't make much sense. Now if you said Über the top that'd make a bit more sense but still silly.
Sorry, can't stand to see people using a word they saw someone else use without knowing the meaning.

The Gentleman.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I mean that Über means above or over or along those lines.. So saying something is way Über doesn't make much sense. Now if you said Über the top that'd make a bit more sense but still silly.
Sorry, can't stand to see people using a word they saw someone else use without knowing the meaning.
Ich glaube ich kann genug deutsch sprechen zu wissen. And besides, I was using it as a replacement for "super". "Above generic" isn't "better than generic", but rather "more generic than regular generic." It's like, so generic that it makes regular generic look average.

...If that makes any sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo