Fighting Fantasy

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GhostToast, Oct 6, 2009.

Oct 6, 2009

Fighting Fantasy by GhostToast at 4:20 PM (16,528 Views / 0 Likes) 160 replies

1. GhostToast
    OP

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think this game looks really cool. I dig the concept and think a 3D first-person dungeon crawl will be a lot of fun. Kinda tired of all the JRPGs (I mean, I still love them but can't stand to play another one for a while). Think it will be a nice change of pace. Sorta surprised nobody else seems excited about it around here.

http://ds.ign.com/objects/868/868007.html

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yes i saw it last week its very promising

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I really dont think the First Person RPG, ala Elder Scrolls would work on the DS imo

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    The only problem I can see is the controls. Hopefully the touch screen will be used for looking around, like Metroid Prime Hunters, sure that gets rid of four buttons, but christ first person + d-pad = terrible.

5. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Yeah I'm actually very excited for that game. I've been wanting to play a good dungeon crawler like this for a while now. There's of course no way of knowing whether it's really good or not, but I've got a very good feeling about this (and I am usually quite skeptical).

trailer

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Judging by the screenshots, this is probably the case. There's the empty space in the middle of the screen, surrounded by spell/weapon icons.

EDIT: The trailer looks great. I wanna play. Gimme.

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    How come I never heard of this before? It looks fucking AWESOME! But I do hope the touch screen is used for looking around, and movement's with the D-pad.

8. GhostToast
    OP

United States
    i know, right? that's what i'm talking about. like, this game is about to come out practically and nobody has even heard of it. marketing fail.

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I know I sure plan to check it out when it's released. It looks really nice. Looks like the style I preferred to play back in the C64 and early PC days, with much improved graphics of course. The 3D perspective just seems so much more immersive than the standard top-down fare usually found on the DS. And to make my point, the last RPG I could tolerate all the way through on the DS was Eragon, short as it was, because the 3D perspective made me feel more part of the game. I didn't care much for Orcs & Elves, I just sort of lost interest at some point. There was another one, but I can't rem the name that was more like this game on DS.....oh, what was it called? ARG! I can't remember. There was also a GBA version. Anyway, it had the smoother movement (on DS, not the GBA), but it didn't hold my interest.....don't remember why anymore, but I didn't care for it. I'm hoping this one will get me back into playing these sorts of games. If this one doesn't do it for me, then I'm afraid I'm simply burnt-out on RPG's forever.

10. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I think the game you are talking about is Mazes of Fate DS

That being said, it was a very good game and one of my favorites on the DS!

Dark Cloud 2 is my all time favorite ARPG/Dungeon Crawler. It was not for the DS, and in my opinion was one of the best games on the PS2 [​IMG]

Yes I do want to play this game!!

11. shinnyuuya

Member shinnyuuya GBAtemp Fan

Indonesia
    I remember one of those. it's called Orcs and Elves. the old first person DS games [​IMG]

12. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    But this one has realtime combat (could be seen as a bad thing) and the movement doesn't seem to be restricted to a grid [​IMG]

13. GhostToast
    OP

United States
    i have orcs and elves on my cell phone. that's what it was originally for. they didn't add a whole lot to the ds version. it was also almost exactly like doom rpg for the cell phone.

morrowind for the ds would be flippin awesome btw. if they could squeeze that kind of content into a ds game.

14. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I would rather have Daggerfall.

Not to mention it would probably be better if the dungeons were randomly generated.

15. Shinryuji

Member Shinryuji GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Why is this the first time I have even heard about this game? It looks brilliant, but there has been almost no marketing what-so-ever! It's almost shameful, because the books are really popular. o.o

16. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    The game seems to become interesting:. the 3d ambiance looks very good and detailed for ds circumstances, though the characters theirself are bitmap animated, hopefully it will be good, waited for something like that:.

17. GhostToast
    OP

United States
    gimme this game. gimme gimme gimme. no release yet it seems, as far as dump. le sigh.

18. GhostToast
    OP

United States
  19. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Still interested, but after reading Nintendo Power's review, I'm a bit leery about what to expect. Their review doesn't make mention of any particular part of the game being broken -- just that it's kind of old-school and enemies are imbalanced. I still dig the whole real-time element of it. I wasn't expecting Oblivion on DS or anything; I just hope it doesn't totally suck.

I think it was a mistake, though, for them to push it back a month. Right now seems like a good window of opportunity for the game. Trying to get through all of November's gaming chaos seems like a recipe for failure. If NP already reviewed it, that means it's finished. They should have just put it out there now.

20. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Actually this is a game Ive been waiting for,your not the only one. [​IMG]