ROM Hack FFTA2 translation projekt.

Froyst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
EDIT: After looking through the official site again, I notice one problem: there IS no Morpher listed under the Nu Mou tribe job list! I guess the Morphers were removed from this game? BUT - The "Spirit User" job isn't listed under any other tribe's job list either...odd. I'll leave it in "Special Jobs" for now.

listed under the Viera tribe

edit: sorry for double post. Forgot to edit
wtf.gif

I see that, but I thought that was just the Viera's "Geomancer" (or Elemental User), I thought it was basically the same as the Geomancer for the Gria, it even appeared to have the same kanji.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Viera's ???? (spirit user)?is totally different from Grias ??? (geomancer). Or do I misunderstand you?

As for Yojimbo (Youjinbou, however you wanna romanize it), I also think it is acceptable to keep it as is.

Yeah, it was a mistake in reading and the similarity of the jobs. I fixed it on the post now. I just remembered Viera had a similar class in FFTA1 and it was translated as "Geomancer", even though "Elemental User" kind of sounded like a better translation, and I got it mixed up with the other Gira job somewhere when I copied it down and translated it, and it turns out it was the other way around. Now Viera has Geomancer ("Spirit User") and Gria has Elementalist or Elements User (Wind and Water Warrior).

Actually, I'm confused AGAIN - the class in FFTA (I just went back and played it a bit) is ELEMENTALIST, not the other way around. Viera = Elementalist. Gria = Geomancer.

EDIT: There, fixed it again. Unless anybody else has problems with that, it'll stay how it is
smile.gif
As for now, I'm heading to bed, looking forward to the progress people are making, and I'm glad to have contributed - maybe I'll be able to help again somehow soon
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

I thought using the save file could help to understand the compression or text format. (looking for the character's name by comparison of 2 save file)
I assume the save's data has the same compression scheme as the game's data.
But you said you found some kanji, so I think you already tried this method.

Anyway, I'm sure you have better knowledge than me
tongue.gif
Cyan, THANK YOU A LOT !
I'm so used to do this kind of stuff on games where you can't put a name, I totally overlooked this. Now thanks to you I have the hiragana/katakana/romanji table
smile.gif

Thanks again
bow.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Whohooo I made something helpfull
tongue.gif

Can you save jobs' sprites with your program ? (I assume each jobs have a different looking)
Maybe I can use them on the Wiki table for the jobs list.
It will be a lot of work ^^;

Thank you for everyone helping with the jobs translation.

The site with the Kanji radical is preatty slow. I have the same table inside NJStar.
It's good, but sometime I don't know the good radical, so it's a little long to find something.

Thank you for giving me the Kanji to copy past directly
smile.gif

Greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted User

Whohooo I made something helpfull
tongue.gif

Can you save jobs' sprites with your program ? (I assume each jobs have a different looking)
Maybe I can use them on the Wiki table for the jobs list.
It will be a lot of work ^^;

Thank you for everyone helping with the jobs translation.

The site with the Kanji radical is preatty slow. I have the same table inside NJStar.
It's good, but sometime I don't know the good radical, so it's a little long to find something.

Thank you for giving me the Kanji to copy past directly
smile.gif

Greatly appreciated.
Yes of course, but right now, I'm going for a quick patch with job names/clan abilities and laws in romanji. It will be useful for playing the game.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they probably will translate it as 'Samurai' in the NA version, though, since Americans don't really know what a "yojimbo" is (Unless they're awesome like me and know of Usagi Yojimbo), but most will know what a "Samurai" is. To me, a Samurai is a mounted warrior-general with heavy armor, while a yojimbo would be more a "cowboy of the fast east" type character (see: Samurai Champloo, Ninja Scroll, or in a more literal historical sense - the legendary Musashi) or a more "ronin"-like character.

If you mean Miyamoto Musashi (and surely you do), he was the quintessential samurai, not yojimbo. He had a full title and everything through his father and as far as I know he never worked as a body guard (though I think one of the southern daimyo employed him for a teacher for some time). Neither historically nor in Yoshikawa Eiji's novel was he really ever in service like that. The only thing making a samurai is the title. Most Meiji-era samurai were basically government workers.

Yojimbo's just a body guard and thus Mifune Toshiro's character from the movie of the same one is a yojimbo, though you never know if he is a titled samurai or not. In the Japanese context, yojimbo, especially the Edo-era idea, encapsulated in modern thought by the afore mentioned Mifune movie, the sequel, or Zatoichi, is hired for money. The historical connection with ronin is sound, though.

Anyway, I agree that samurai tend to be heavily armored, as they were as a job class in the original Tactics, hence my thought that it ought to be different here.

QUOTEThe site with the Kanji radical is preatty slow. I have the same table inside NJStar.

Good luck with that then. If you can't find the radical you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you mean Miyamoto Musashi (and surely you do), he was the quintessential samurai, not yojimbo. He had a full title and everything through his father and as far as I know he never worked as a body guard (though I think one of the southern daimyo employed him for a teacher for some time). Neither historically nor in Yoshikawa Eiji's novel was he really ever in service like that. The only thing making a samurai is the title. Most Meiji-era samurai were basically government workers.

You are aware that there is no such thing as "meiji-era samurai" as the system was abolished during the meiji restoration. But you are right that in the tokugawa/bakumatsu eras, many samurai were bureaucrats and not warriros. The classical samurai that most people imagine existed mainly during the sengoku era.
(edit: many pre-meiji samurai went on to work in the government after the restoration though.)

@deufeufeu
If you have all the laws in japanese, I'll be happy to translate.

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How about winning condition? 「勝利条件」 all ive encountered so far has been
すべての敵を倒せ! - Defeat all enemies, but there are bound to be others. Also, the description of the different laws would be nice to have translated maybe.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You are aware that there is no such thing as "meiji-era samurai" as the system was abolished during the meiji restoration.

You're right - I misspoke, though you got my meaning - I meant end of the Tokugawa period and into the Meiji restoration (recalling especially Jansens The Making of Modern Japan and the film Tasogore Seibei, though I would argue Takamori Saigo was a samurai alive and working during the Meiji era), samurai made up government workers. I apologize, as I was wrong about that, though I think the rest of my post stands. Though to be fair to me even after the abolition of samurai titles, people from those families tended to enter government more than random chance would suggest.

Sidenote: Where in Japan are you?

And to echo warbird's statement if you have the laws, I'd translate too. The laws help me in making my vocab list.

Froyst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I remember hearing of a story long ago about Musashi, about how he wandered the lands of feudal Japan after the samurai were no longer...how did it put it...of need? In service? I dunno how you'd say it exactly, but the samurai were no longer needed by the government...anyway, I read of it thinking it was historically accurate, as it appeared to be - maybe it wasn't as such. You know how tall some tales can get, even out of Eastern Asia
biggrin.gif

Anyway - I'm glad to hear that all the hard work we put in translating the job names is going to be put to good use! All we'd really need now is a translation of the Clan Items, some Equipment items, Job Abilities names, skill names...oy, there's still a lot to do >D

Usually when I find what a spell/ability does I write it down somewhere, I'd be willing to supply those notes, although my Japanese scribblings would be somewhat difficult to translate onto a computer, seeing as how a) I'm sure my kanji recognition is going to be atrocious on those small DS screens and b) Even if I could get it into some discernable form, I probably couldn't convert it into something you all could see on the computer, or even break it into radicals and translate it literally, as these things are all beyond me. I'm still learning katakana and hiragana, I haven't even started kanji yet. But if on my Fencer I see that this word is 'Swarmstrike' from FFTA, I'll right it down best I can and write "Swarmstrike - Causes poison 1C1R1ET (1 Column 1 Row 1 Enemy Target)" or what have you on the side. It's working so far for the most part as far as identifying enemy spells and the like before they're inflicted - although I'm not really understanding it, I'm just seeing what the effect of a skill is and translating it from there - it might as well be in Cyrillic. Things that have no obvious outward effect are my biggest "road-block" - like the skill that my Luso is learning from a Barong (I don't believe there was a skill to be learned from Barong in FFTA). It's friendly-target only and I think it might be Psyche Up from FFT - which if it is, would be awesome...as well as my White Monk's second move that he's learning from Rising Sun...I'll figure them all out eventually. I'll keep you guys updated if I happen to find out something big! Have fun!

D

Deleted User

Strange, I found one and only one reference to the text ソルジャー troughout the rom, and when I try modifying it, I don't get any modification ingame...

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Undone2:
9604 - Eh?

9606 - Master, bring everyone something to drink!
9607 - You can use variety of facilities at towns.
9608 - Press A above town symbol to display facility menu
9609 - If you go to the pub, you can receive quests
9610 - Forest town. A small carefree town. Mushroom stew is an absolute must.
9611 - Really, you get work from pubs.
9612 - That's kinda unexpected, I thought it was a place to eat and drink.
9613 - People gather at eat and drink place, and informations gather where people do.
9614 - We buy those information, and receive work... or "Quest" to say it clan style.
9615 - So when I'm out of Gil or have nothing else to do I can come to the pub?
9616 - Look 9617
9617 - Exactly.
9618 - Yo, looking for new work?
9619 - Yeah, I have to train this newbie.
9620 - Look 9621
9621 - (Your character name), go talk to the master and receive quest
9622 - What, once you do it yourself you'll learn it.
9623 - Understood, I'll do it.
9624 - Alright, Mr.Newbie, it's actually simple.
9625 - Select "Receive quest" to see the list of available quests.
9626 - Choose what you want to do among the list, after that pay the information fee and you're good to go.
9627 - Even if you know the details of a quest, if you don't pay up nothing's going to happen.
9628 - Look 9629
9629 - Yes, yes, some quests have a deadline
9630 - When you receive quests, be careful of such things and you'll be fine.
9631 - So, let's have a look, shall we?
9632 - Select "Receive quest" to actually receive a quest.
9633 -
Pub Menu
Free Paper ??????
Receive quest ????????
Received quest ?????????
Listen to rumours ???????

That's it for today. You know, translating the whole thing will take years, but for now I don't see any of my effort go to waste so I'll help out a bit.

Edit: Just found out 2-5 were already done, update the first post
dry.gif

Froyst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kanji website that was sent really helps, even I can get something out if it
tongue.gif

I figured out that the White Monk skill learned from Rising Sun is Exorcism ?? (literally translated it's Rend Wickedness). and the Barong skill for Luso is ??????? "Power Break". Awesome! I'll send more when I get them.

I'm only going to bother translating things that aren't obvious as to what they are
tongue.gif

It appears ???? ?Green Mage ability from ????????”Idol Mace") is "Silena" (removes silence). Some of these phrases don't really show up in any dictionary so I have to pull up my FFXI spell list to find them >D

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I'm happy that you guys are doing this together and helping each other.

As i read through posts and since the work is moved to wiki, i dont see anything that i can do beside watching over you guys, If I can be of any help, plz note.

D

Deleted User

I've got it all ! I know how to edit everything
smile.gif
I might have to make some space for long names in the rom, but right now I can translate in game almost everything. I'm going to release a patch by the day after tomorrow. (tomorrow I have a big presentation of my research work and I can't take time for this)(yes as odd as it may sound I'm a researcher AND i like to mess with nds games
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: