Gaming FF4 is Ugly - Thank God Square isn't Revamping Chrono!

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The remake of FF4 is an ugly game by today's standards. The DS is just not that powerful of a 3D system, and it really shows.

Now that I've seen it, I am very pleased to know that Square isn't revamping the visuals of Chrono Trigger. If CT would have followed FF3 and FF4 down the revamp road, we would have a ruined game on our hands.

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh. I'm not trying to troll. I didn't want to talk about how bad FF4 looks.

Rather, I was posting my relief that CT isn't going to be ruined. I know that people who like CT feel the same way.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm mad that Square Enix isn't redrawning the backgrounds and sprites in Chrono Trigger DS.

Also, If they left 2D in FF4, we would has the same FF4 like 4 times. (SNES, PSX, GBA, DS)

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:
I'm mad that Square Enix isn't redrawning the backgrounds and sprites in Chrono Trigger DS.

Hmm...

Yeah... You do have a point... But would redrawing get you much? You are actually losing resolution going from a TV to the DS. If the DS had 640x480 resolution, then redrawing the sprites would add detail / remove pixelation.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The remake of FF4 is an ugly game by today's standards.
Yet here I am, appreciating that this mini-N64 is performing, in many cases, much better than the actual N64 did years ago. Is it even in the slightest hard to realize, you know, the DS is not a PSP, and if graphics are such a horrid concept to you, as are visible textures, perhaps you should, you know, quit playing 3D DS games altogether?

QUOTEYeah... You do have a point... But would redrawing get you much?
And the 2D remakes of games have had no increase in the graphical capacity, and therefore, their changes are slight in actuality, and compared to the originals, they still look like shit. I mean, the difference between FF1 on the NES and on the Wonderswan is negligible, of course. Riiiiiiiiight?

/troll'd

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
IBNobody said:
ferrariman said:

Hmm...

Yeah... You do have a point... But would redrawing get you much? You are actually losing resolution going from a TV to the DS. If the DS had 640x480 resolution, then redrawing the sprites would add detail / remove pixelation.
the snes didn't have that great sprite resolutions
wink.gif
it's not as simple as "tv to ds"

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope they don't pull a Metal Slug 7

Guy1: How are we going to remake Chrono Trggers graphics?!
Guy2: Just scale everything down, it will work

A

armand66

The comment that they are ugly by today's standards is silly.

Comparing what is in the original to the DS version graphically, and the DS version makes the world, characters all seem to much better and believable, or have you forgotten how average the graphics were on SNES for FF4, even back then?

FF4 on DS is graphically leaps and years ahead of any other version of FF4 out there, who cares if it's not up to some of today's gaming standards, which of course the DS can't handle.

For what the game is doing, is very very good overall, especially once you get out of the starting areas and out into the game world a decent length in.

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Celice said:
Yet here I am, appreciating that this mini-N64 is performing, in many cases, much better than the actual N64 did years ago. Is it even in the slightest hard to realize, you know, the DS is not a PSP, and if graphics are such a horrid concept to you, as are visible textures, perhaps you should, you know, quit playing 3D DS games altogether?

Actually... I think I already do that. FF4 was the first 3D game on the DS I've played in a long time, and I'm not playing the game for the graphics.

QUOTE(manias @ Jul 23 2008, 10:33 AM) the snes didn't have that great sprite resolutions
wink.gif
it's not as simple as "tv to ds"

What was the sprite resolution? It wasn't 1-to-1?

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
armand66 said:
The comment that they are ugly by today's standards is silly.

Comparing what is in the original to the DS version graphically, and the DS version makes the world, characters all seem to much better and believable, or have you forgotten how average the graphics were on SNES for FF4, even back then?

FF4 on DS is graphically leaps and years ahead of any other version of FF4 out there, who cares if it's not up to some of today's gaming standards, which of course the DS can't handle.

For what the game is doing, is very very good overall, especially once you get out of the starting areas and out into the game world a decent length in.

FF4 had its share of graphical problems on the SNES. I won't disagree. I also won't disagree that FF4 DS looks better than previous incarnations of FF4.

What I was saying, though, is that I'm glad they didn't give Chrono the same treatment. They would have taken a great looking 2D game and remade it into an ugly 3D game - ugly by today's standards, and ugly by standards 10 years ago, too.

EDIT: Yes, I feel like we are getting to a point where 3D graphics look good. I always thought they looked bad on the SNES and N64, even when they were cutting edge.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will agree that the DS doesnt have the best graphics, but the gameplay sure is fun!
smile.gif

I also agree that I am glad they didnt do the same thing to Chrono Trigger though. I want to play the game in its full glory in 2-D on the DS. I have never played it before, and want to have an excellent experience with it (not saying that 3-D wouldnt give me a good experience mind you).

But when I play FF4, I can already say that I played the original in 2-D and compare it to the new one. Maybe they will revamp Chrono for a psp release. I think Riveria TPL had a revamp when it went to the psp.

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
I wish they would do the same with Crono Trigger as the did with FF4, I love this kind of 3d. My first console was an N64 (I played games before, but the N64 was the first console that I owned) so having a DS is like having that N64 shrunk down to fit in my hand.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The graphics are fine,if your so hung up on how games look buy something else that makes your graphic sense tingle,besides sony and microsoft would squarm if nintendo actually ever decides to jump in the graphics nerds group.......

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IBNobody said:
The remake of FF4 is an ugly game by today's standards. The DS is just not that powerful of a 3D system, and it really shows.

Now that I've seen it, I am very pleased to know that Square isn't revamping the visuals of Chrono Trigger. If CT would have followed FF3 and FF4 down the revamp road, we would have a ruined game on our hands.

Agree.

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose you could say the graphics could be better, when you compare this game to that Dragonball video in the other topic.

The graphics in that Dragonball game would fit Crono Trigger, the art for Crono Trigger and Dragonball were done by the same person right?

choupette

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
IBNobody said:
Heh. I'm not trying to troll. I didn't want to talk about how bad FF4 looks.

Rather, I was posting my relief that CT isn't going to be ruined. I know that people who like CT feel the same way.

huh.
let me try to explain : if ct isn't going to be ruined, that implies ff4 is.

wow, and that dragon ball game looks gorgeous.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: