FF4 is Ugly - Thank God Square isn't Revamping Chrono!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by IBNobody, Jul 23, 2008.

1. IBNobody
    OP

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    The remake of FF4 is an ugly game by today's standards. The DS is just not that powerful of a 3D system, and it really shows.

Now that I've seen it, I am very pleased to know that Square isn't revamping the visuals of Chrono Trigger. If CT would have followed FF3 and FF4 down the revamp road, we would have a ruined game on our hands.

2. Esh

Newcomer Esh Member

United States
    Nice troll attempt.

3. JamieA119

Newcomer JamieA119 Member

United Kingdom
    That's what I thought at the very beginning, but it improves a lot after you leave the castle.

4. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    Heh. I'm not trying to troll. I didn't want to talk about how bad FF4 looks.

Rather, I was posting my relief that CT isn't going to be ruined. I know that people who like CT feel the same way.

5. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I'm mad that Square Enix isn't redrawning the backgrounds and sprites in Chrono Trigger DS.

Also, If they left 2D in FF4, we would has the same FF4 like 4 times. (SNES, PSX, GBA, DS)

6. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    Hmm...

Yeah... You do have a point... But would redrawing get you much? You are actually losing resolution going from a TV to the DS. If the DS had 640x480 resolution, then redrawing the sprites would add detail / remove pixelation.

7. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    And the 2D remakes of games have had no increase in the graphical capacity, and therefore, their changes are slight in actuality, and compared to the originals, they still look like shit. I mean, the difference between FF1 on the NES and on the Wonderswan is negligible, of course. Riiiiiiiiight?

/troll'd

8. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    the snes didn't have that great sprite resolutions [​IMG] it's not as simple as "tv to ds"

9. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Buy a PSP if you love 3D graphics. DS is decent on its own, yet comparably horrible.

Intelligent DS owners know that. They don't buy games for graphics.

10. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I hope they don't pull a Metal Slug 7

Guy1: How are we going to remake Chrono Trggers graphics?!
    Guy2: Just scale everything down, it will work

11. armand66

armand66 Newbie

The comment that they are ugly by today's standards is silly.

Comparing what is in the original to the DS version graphically, and the DS version makes the world, characters all seem to much better and believable, or have you forgotten how average the graphics were on SNES for FF4, even back then?

FF4 on DS is graphically leaps and years ahead of any other version of FF4 out there, who cares if it's not up to some of today's gaming standards, which of course the DS can't handle.

For what the game is doing, is very very good overall, especially once you get out of the starting areas and out into the game world a decent length in.

12. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Metal Slug 7 did it the wrong way, I agree.

13. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    What was the sprite resolution? It wasn't 1-to-1?

14. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    FF4 had its share of graphical problems on the SNES. I won't disagree. I also won't disagree that FF4 DS looks better than previous incarnations of FF4.

What I was saying, though, is that I'm glad they didn't give Chrono the same treatment. They would have taken a great looking 2D game and remade it into an ugly 3D game - ugly by today's standards, and ugly by standards 10 years ago, too.

EDIT: Yes, I feel like we are getting to a point where 3D graphics look good. I always thought they looked bad on the SNES and N64, even when they were cutting edge.

15. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I will agree that the DS doesnt have the best graphics, but the gameplay sure is fun! [​IMG]

I also agree that I am glad they didnt do the same thing to Chrono Trigger though. I want to play the game in its full glory in 2-D on the DS. I have never played it before, and want to have an excellent experience with it (not saying that 3-D wouldnt give me a good experience mind you).

But when I play FF4, I can already say that I played the original in 2-D and compare it to the new one. Maybe they will revamp Chrono for a psp release. I think Riveria TPL had a revamp when it went to the psp.

16. Antihero2007

Member Antihero2007 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I wish they would do the same with Crono Trigger as the did with FF4, I love this kind of 3d. My first console was an N64 (I played games before, but the N64 was the first console that I owned) so having a DS is like having that N64 shrunk down to fit in my hand.

17. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    The graphics are fine,if your so hung up on how games look buy something else that makes your graphic sense tingle,besides sony and microsoft would squarm if nintendo actually ever decides to jump in the graphics nerds group.......

18. epicelite

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
    Agree.

19. Antihero2007

Member Antihero2007 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I suppose you could say the graphics could be better, when you compare this game to that Dragonball video in the other topic.

The graphics in that Dragonball game would fit Crono Trigger, the art for Crono Trigger and Dragonball were done by the same person right?

20. choupette

Newcomer choupette Advanced Member

France
    huh.
    let me try to explain : if ct isn't going to be ruined, that implies ff4 is.

wow, and that dragon ball game looks gorgeous.