Favourite Linux Distribution?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by warmijwilfaain, Mar 3, 2011.

Mar 3, 2011
  1. warmijwilfaain
    OP

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    I'd create a poll, but due to the insane number of distributions out there it would be an impossibly long and fragmented poll [​IMG]

So, what's yours? I personally like Ubuntu. I don't get why "Pro Linux" users hate it so much.

2. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Personally I love Fedora myself, but I also use Ubuntu as well.

3. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    I'm a fedora man, myself.

Don't have to be a genius to install it, but unlike Ubuntu, it is pretty stubborn with their open source repos, and isn't as...bloated would be the best word, I think.

Repos are quite large, with additional ones such as RPM Fusion (Free + Non-Free), and the KDE spin isn't nearly as buggy as Kubuntu.

I'm a huge fan of the idea behind Arch, but I can never get off my ass to install it. They have excellent documentation though.

Gentoo....it's really cool. I mean, it's a really cool idea, anyway. But takes forever to install / upgrade things, since you compile them all from source through the repos.

Well...there's my opinion.

EDIT: As far as Debian goes, it's great or servers, but all of that "outdated" software would bug me.

4. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I just use ubuntu ...and I only use that for things that linux is good at.....like cracking wep's...and formating stuff.....and other stuff [​IMG]

5. warmijwilfaain
    OP

United Kingdom
  6. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Yeah, same, I run Ubuntu as a dual-boot alongside windows now too. I still made some idiot mistakes during installation, but things are better now, and I couldn't be happier
    w/ Ubuntu.

7. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i like Mint, which is a spin off of ubuntu.

haven't tried any other distros except puppy.

8. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    While I use FreeBSD as my main OS and not Linux, my answer would easily be Arch.

The reason why I and many others like it is that with Arch you can extremely easily get a very fast system that only has the software you need and no bullshit.

Ubuntu has partly suffered from the same thing as Vista: hate it because others hate it.

The few people who actually have a valid reason to hate it often bring up the same few points of which the bloat is one of the points I agree with the most. Ubuntu is one of the bloatiest distros available due to its design to fit everyone. A standard Ubuntu installation comes with tons of software for stuff you'll never do and with many applications for the same purposes.

"But you can uninstall all programs you don't like!" is a commonly used response to this. Except there really is no reason to go through deleting all programs and all their dependencies when you can just start from zero.

"Ha! But you can install Ubuntu from a minimum CD without any of these programs then, 1-0 to me archfag!". While this is true, when you start installing what you want through the synaptic package manager you will be installing everything in each package group. That is, you will be installing every single optional package for every single package you wish to install. Since Arch is modular by design its package manger lets you choose which if any of these optional packages to install, thus leading to a much cleaner system if you so wish.

Also, there is a big difference between the repositories for Ubuntu and Arch. Ubuntu's repository focuses on maintaining stable packages, which means slow updates, where as Arch's repository aims to be bleeding edge with the latest of the latest packages. This is really what I miss the most with Arch when I am on FreeBSD with its updates equally slow to Ubuntu.

9. TheLifeRuiner

Newcomer TheLifeRuiner Advanced Member

United States
    I'm still a pretty big noob to the Linux/UNIX world, so I was wondering why you chose FreeBSD? What advantages does it have/How does it differ from Linux distros? And most importantly, what do you use it for?

Also, I've only ever used Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Xubuntu, and I was very pleased with them. I had to switch back to Windows though because of school [​IMG]

10. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    What specifically required you to switch back? Any non-graphically intensive windows program can be run in a VM under any Linux distro or BSD.

11. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Debian or Mint - i use both and like them

was into openSUSE a lot, then meh, too many updates to keep up with my limited bandwidth.

12. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Debian, Crunchbang and Arch Linux. Not a fan for Ubuntu.

13. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Pretty much Debian and Arch.
    Although I do use Ubuntu Server Edition on my servers, as it's pretty much the same as Debian Server Edition.

14. warmijwilfaain
    OP

United Kingdom
    @trumpet
    Oh, I used #! once, it was pretty damn good.

As for the bloat in Ubuntu, it's far less bloat than you get in the majority of Windows versions. Plus there's not that much really.

15. TheLifeRuiner

Newcomer TheLifeRuiner Advanced Member

United States

Ah, I see, I see. I tried giving FreeBSD a go in a VM but I don't know how to start the X environment nor set xfce to default. I skimmed through the FreeBSD guide though, because it was late at night and I just wanted a quick install with a GUI. I'm stuck at terminal though lol.

I'm guessing FreeBSD is blazingly fast? Strangely, I never thought about using a VM to run windows programs (lol).
    Reasons for Windows:
    Visual Studio 2010 for VB
    Need For Speed World
    DoubleTwist (media player that does wireless sync with android)
    One Touch Video Capture (this is a big one - for a capture card i use; i don't know if running it under a VM would reduce capture performance, but it's something i've been wary of and haven't researched)

For now, I'm just gonna try and figure out wtf I have to do to get xfce up and running. I GUESS I should read everything in the manual, but I don't want to spend that time reading haha though I'm probably going to spend a similar amount of time figuring out what's wrong...

edit:
    I figured out what was wrong: I was in the wrong directory lol

16. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Linux Mint and Kubuntu.
    For some reason I prefer the KDE desktop environment than the one Ubuntu uses(I think it's Gnome).

17. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    my preferite is ubuntu i like the gnome desktop on the kde is to much going one ..........even thought im curioz about opensuse
    from what iv read on internet is almost good as ubuntu/kubuntu and other ubuntu derivates,will it boot as fast as ubuntu???

18. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    OpenSUSE boots in roughly the same amount of time as Ubuntu (at least last time I had them both installed side by side) but it's better in every other way.
    There are even better distributions out there though, such as Arch or CrunchBang (well the statler releases, which are based off debian as opposed to ubuntu)

19. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Arch for me, though I'm quickly growing fond of Slackware, especially on my laptops. Not having to update every time I turn them on is nice.