Hacking Question Fatal error [nxboot] failed to mount emummc from sd card partition!

Toxxn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this issue has persisted with other people, however my situation may be a little more unique and unfortunately I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to fix it. I will fill in as much information as I can on how I was led to this error in hopes that someone can help.

I initially followed the guide over at Switch.Homebrew.Guide in order to install CFW with my switch. Everything was going fine until I wanted to use Tinfoil which I could not install. From what I read it was something do with running Atmosphere with Hekate and something to do with Sigpatches, etc. so I ended up starting to use Atmosphere with Fusee instead and got the sigpatches or whatever, blah blah blah.

Everything was running smooth and great, no issues other than I was using a 64GB Micro SD card and with having to create emuMMC or emuNAND or whichever it was from the guide, my 64GB space was cut in half to 32GB. Wanting to use Tinfoil, you can imagine my frustration with being limited to only 32GB of space. Therefore, with injecting Atmosphere with Fusee, I for some reason imagined that it was not automatically running in emu so I decided I was going to delete the partition so that I could have more space available.

I copied over all of my files from the SD Card to my computer and followed WhoAmI?'s tutorial here on gbatemp on removing emuNAND from SD Card using Diskpart.
(Diskpart > list disk > Select disk > clean > convert mbr > create partition primary > format quick > exit. )

I then moved the backup I made of the SD Card files back to the SD Card. It works. I have pretty much all of my space back minus 2 games I installed, and Atmosphere boots fine.
I then got the bright idea of upgrading my SD Card to 128GB and this is where everything started falling apart.

I figured since I was able to basically remove the partition and copy back all my files from the 64GB card and it work just fine, I could just copy the same files over to the new 128GB card, insert my RCMLoader, and boot into Atmosphere Fusee just like I was doing. Wrong.

I am getting "Fatal Error [nxboot] failed to mount emummc from sd card partition!", even though all the files are exactly the same as from the 64GB card, and it boots just fine with Atmostphere Fusee. The files even contain a emummc folder.

Before anyone asks, yes the new card is legit.
It's the exact same brand and model as the 64GB card, and it came from the same retail store, it's just 128GB instead of 64GB.

I triedrefollowing the switch.homebrew.guide from scratch with the new 128GB card and then just copied all the files I needed in backup from the other SD card, only to be greeted with the same error or a new one.

Anyone got any idea on what I am doing wrong, perhaps even how to fix it? Yeah, the 64GB card is working, but I did buy the new card for a reason, and I would like to utilize it.
Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: After hours of trial and error and tinkering with it, I was able to make the new SD card work by completely starting a fresh install again then moving over all the necessary files I needed. I found that the first time I did this, I skipped a crucial step in the emuMMC creation and simply only made the partition, I didn't actually create the emuMMC. I know have everything working again as it did on the previous SD Card. I also found that Tinfoil isn't currently running on Atmosphere 17.0. I had to downgrade to Atmosphere 16.2 (11.0.1 AMS M.16.2 E from 11.0.1 AMS M.17.0 E) in order to get Tinfoil to work again.

Last edited by Toxxn,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this issue has persisted with other people, however my situation may be a little more unique and unfortunately I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to fix it. I will fill in as much information as I can on how I was led to this error in hopes that someone can help.

I initially followed the guide over at Switch.Homebrew.Guide in order to install CFW with my switch. Everything was going fine until I wanted to use Tinfoil which I could not install. From what I read it was something do with running Atmosphere with Hekate and something to do with Sigpatches, etc. so I ended up starting to use Atmosphere with Fusee instead and got the sigpatches or whatever, blah blah blah.

Everything was running smooth and great, no issues other than I was using a 64GB Micro SD card and with having to create emuMMC or emuNAND or whichever it was from the guide, my 64GB space was cut in half to 32GB. Wanting to use Tinfoil, you can imagine my frustration with being limited to only 32GB of space. Therefore, with injecting Atmosphere with Fusee, I for some reason imagined that it was not automatically running in emu so I decided I was going to delete the partition so that I could have more space available.

I copied over all of my files from the SD Card to my computer and followed WhoAmI?'s tutorial here on gbatemp on removing emuNAND from SD Card using Diskpart.
(Diskpart > list disk > Select disk > clean > convert mbr > create partition primary > format quick > exit. )

I then moved the backup I made of the SD Card files back to the SD Card. It works. I have pretty much all of my space back minus 2 games I installed, and Atmosphere boots fine.
I then got the bright idea of upgrading my SD Card to 128GB and this is where everything started falling apart.

I figured since I was able to basically remove the partition and copy back all my files from the 64GB card and it work just fine, I could just copy the same files over to the new 128GB card, insert my RCMLoader, and boot into Atmosphere Fusee just like I was doing. Wrong.

I am getting "Fatal Error [nxboot] failed to mount emummc from sd card partition!", even though all the files are exactly the same as from the 64GB card, and it boots just fine with Atmostphere Fusee. The files even contain a emummc folder.

Before anyone asks, yes the new card is legit.
It's the exact same brand and model as the 64GB card, and it came from the same retail store, it's just 128GB instead of 64GB.

I triedrefollowing the switch.homebrew.guide from scratch with the new 128GB card and then just copied all the files I needed in backup from the other SD card, only to be greeted with the same error or a new one.

Anyone got any idea on what I am doing wrong, perhaps even how to fix it? Yeah, the 64GB card is working, but I did buy the new card for a reason, and I would like to utilize it.
Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: After hours of trial and error and tinkering with it, I was able to make the new SD card work by completely starting a fresh install again then moving over all the necessary files I needed. I found that the first time I did this, I skipped a crucial step in the emuMMC creation and simply only made the partition, I didn't actually create the emuMMC. I know have everything working again as it did on the previous SD Card. I also found that Tinfoil isn't currently running on Atmosphere 17.0. I had to downgrade to Atmosphere 16.2 (11.0.1 AMS M.16.2 E from 11.0.1 AMS M.17.0 E) in order to get Tinfoil to work again.
To save yourself from any future headache, use TinWoo Installer instead.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk