Status
Not open for further replies.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The last time i checked there was no limit, although another user reported he could have only 40 roms or else his games won't start right.
Maybe this is related. Are those games all roms you are talking about?

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they are all Wii isos and no others roms are added. It still runs the games fine, just don't show the new ones after 120.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it now, I just upgraded to WiiFlow Advanced and it runs like a dream
I had trouble with Advance. It kept trying to create folders where it thought they should go instead of where I was telling it to. I managed to get it to run from Wiiflow-advance on the NTFS part, but the bloody thing still insists on creating a nand directory on the SD rather than using the one I have on the FAT32 part. I have gone back to using Mod 230. At least it is doing what it is told to.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think Windows can (or could?) also do it.
Select convert instead of format in the HDD management tool.

Or you can also use the command line convert.

It's only FAT32->NTFS, you can't convert from NTFS to something else with Windows' tools.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In those days, it was probably 2. We now have a library that does the hard work for us.

At the beginning, I can imagine that porting that lib for the wii wasn't an easy job.

The library was already ported, otherwise we wouldn't have had access to the sd card.

The only extra thing that needed was to load the block list for the iso and use that to figure out where to load from when the game loads.
It had to do something similar for WBFS as well, because that can get fragmented too.

This had already been done on the PS2 USB loaders, although none of those were open source at the time so he couldn't just copy the code. However the documentation for them did say there was a limit to the number of fragments, so it was pretty obvious how it worked.

So because of one trivial bit of work he couldn't figure out how to do or even think it could be possible to do, we ended up with someone having to write a WBFS manager. Which would easily have taken longer to write than using FAT32 from the start.

This is quite common in software, that people will choose what they think is easier but is actually more work because they can't comprehend how to do it better with less work.

The alternative was that he knew how to do it, but thought that FAT32 would be a major problem that he needed to fix. I think there is enough evidence to prove that FAT32 is not a major problem & is easier to work with than WBFS.

Or he could have known it would be easier to use FAT32 and there wouldn't be any real problems, but wanted an ego boost.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Whatever the reason was, we can't change the past.
A nice example of that is the windows os most of us have on their pc. It's not exactly a software piece of beauty either.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever the reason was, we can't change the past.
A nice example of that is the windows os most of us have on their pc. It's not exactly a software piece of beauty either.

It's not about changing the past, this is a fat32 vs ntfs vs wbfs thread and basically wbfs can be excluded from your decision.

Windows 7 or 8 is good. I wouldn't touch anything else.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 1 tb hdd that is partitioned i have a smaller part as teh fat 32 to run all the wii programs and then the other partion which is bigger has all my wii games in ntfs format so my wii games dont have to be split into two different files

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hi all, getting back into Wii after a long time and I just want to clarify - is it still 'best'practice for primary partition on a USB HDD to be FAT32 (for HBC programs and emulated NAND for VC games), then the secondary partition be NTFS (for Wii and GameCube game disc images)? Thanks in advance.

wishmasterf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
hi all, getting back into Wii after a long time and I just want to clarify - is it still 'best'practice for primary partition on a USB HDD to be FAT32 (for HBC programs and emulated NAND for VC games), then the secondary partition be NTFS (for Wii and GameCube game disc images)? Thanks in advance.

Do not use NTFS for GameCube games, because you can use DIOS MIOS with FAT32 only!

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Do not use NTFS for GameCube games, because you can use DIOS MIOS with FAT32 only!

thanks for the reply.. I thought only the internal SD card needed to be formatted as FAT32, as the GC .ISO could be copied from a USB NTFS partition on my external hard drive? or can DIOS MIOS only copy the ISO from a FAT32 partition?

I was going to have say a 64GB FAT32 partition for Wiiware and VC and emulated NAND, then partititon the rest as NTFS.

But if DIOS MIOS can only copy the Gamecube ISO from FAT32 then I'll need a much larger FAT32 primary partition.

thanks for the help.

EDIT: it appears DIOS MIOS can run / read games from USB? - http://code.google.c...ios/source/list

EDIT 2: ok so my understanding is this - for emulated NAND, VC and Wiiware and LOADING GameCube games from USB hard drive then formatting the primary partititon as 32K cluster FAT32 appears to be required.

For loading Wii .ISO or .WBFS files they can be on an NTFS formatted partition.

Is this correct please? Thank you.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'd say best practise is making :
the first partition a primary fat32 for all the wii stuff (which is inherently

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thanks Psyblade.

I'm using the full 1TB USB HDD for my Wii, so I guess I can format the entire thing as FAT32 with 32K clusters so it's DIOS MIOS compatible.
All my Wii disk images are already split .WBFS files and I can re-rip my GC as .ISO files no problems using USB Config Loader (which now has DM support).
I'll probably keep using uLoader for my VC and Wiiware as well.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Non wii stuff is not really the correct terminology.... If you have files larger than 4gb that you need immediate access to then you'll need a second partition. For example, you're better off storing divx movies on fat32 because most media players and tv's now can read them but not ntfs. Files on a DVD are split at 2gb, so direct backups of VOBS will be fine on FAT32.
good thought - will edit

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thanks guys.. so then the 'best' probable setup is format the entire 1TB USB HDD as FAT32 with 32K clusters - that way it will work with:

- DIOS MIOS and GC games
- emulated NAND
- Virtual Console and Wiiware games
- 'normal' Wii USB loaders with the games in .WBFS and .ISO (as long as they're less than 4GB in size)
- Home Brew Wii software

might be useful to sticky somewhere if this is the case.. I know I've spent ages today looking through threads and forums, and the recommendations are all over the place.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Pog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2N2SZSfek