Fanmade PC port of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remakes the game in HD, with widescreen support

5123uH+zRgL._SL500_.jpg

Nintendo's recent remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening received highly positive reviews and did well commercially, however, many fans weren't happy with the remake, citing bad performance and controversial stylistic choices. So, a fan has taken it upon themselves to create an authentic, improved Link's Awakening experience. A user going by the rather apt name "linksawakeningdxhd" dropped a complete remake of the game, built to run on PC. It features a ton of improvements on the original game, including widescreen, support for up to 120fps, and no area transitions. This last aspect allows for the entire map of Link's Awakening DX to act as one seamless area, to the point of being able to zoom the camera out to see the entirety of the game world all at once.

You can grab the game from itch.io, and watch the trailer made by the creator of the remake, which showcases the PC port in all its glory.

Dive into the enchanting world of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX as you've never experienced it before, with this meticulously crafted PC version that breathes new life into this classic adventure. Immerse yourself in the nostalgia of Koholint Island with enhanced graphics and widescreen support, bringing the charming landscapes and characters to vivid detail on your modern PC display.But that's not all – we've turbocharged the gameplay with high framerate support, ensuring that every sword swing, puzzle solve, and enemy encounter feels smoother and more responsive than ever. Rediscover the magic of this timeless Zelda title with improved performance, letting you explore dungeons, uncover secrets, and engage in epic battles with unparalleled fluidity.Whether you're a long-time fan of Link's Awakening or a newcomer to the series, this PC version offers a fresh take on the beloved classic, combining the essence of the original with cutting-edge enhancements. Embark on a journey across the mysterious island, solve puzzles, meet quirky characters, and relive the adventure with a level of polish and finesse that pays homage to the legendary legacy of The Legend of Zelda.

:arrow: Download

masenko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ive played through the first two levels and noticed lost of differences from the original.
no bombs in shop after buy the shovel
room above the one with bomb-able wall in level 1 the block inst pushable
holding a charged sword has weird hit box. ie bird enemy hits link and goes through sword
large fish are too easy to catch
crane game has different timings
sword spins can hit max 4 wide grass, not max 3 like the original
a lot easier to get hit by enemy's in general
no save option, only autosave
no quit to windows so you have to alt f4
should have fog of war in dungeons or you can just zoom out and see the whole map
looks amazing but fells massively unpolished compared to original. shame as links awaking dx is my favorite zelda game

Last edited by masenko,
Reactions: Ligeia and eternal

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive played through the first two levels and noticed lost of differences from the original.
holding a charged sword has weird hit box. ie bird enemy hits link and goes through sword
should have fog of war in dungeons or you can just zoom out and see the whole map
looks amazing but fells massively unpolished compared to original. shame as links awaking dx is my favorite zelda game
Thanks for posting some of the issues.
I was (and am still), a huge fan of the original myself, but this is still an awesome feat. Went ahead and scooped it up for digital hoarding, as you know them DMCAs are coming lol.
Also hopefully the dev will send some updates through the more people say stuff. :toot:

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
[...] and bought the work already done on it from the person making it [...]
Not gonna happen ever.

They would be buying their own IP from a non copyright holder, which doesn't make sense at all.

Btw, the EXE is asking for a .NET installation, how old is this thing?

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I save?
seriously does this ONLY have auto-save? How do you manually save??
Post automatically merged:

ok no there HAS to be a way to manually save, because you can disable autosave, and then what??

EDIT: turns out if you quit to main menu, it saves the game.

Last edited by MultiKoopa,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got stuck in dungeon 7
Some people were commenting that they were getting stuck at the end of the first dungeon, but I guess that was just a fluke.

Its ported directly forum source code reverse engineered, also there's a solarus implementation

https://github.com/snesrev/zelda3
Was that link supposed to be relevant..? That relates to an entirely different project. And what does Solarus have to do with this!?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-leg...he-past-decompilation-project-emerges.617787/

Someone started a Link's Awakening disassembly, but I haven't heard of anyone doing anything with it and I doubt it's complete.
https://github.com/zladx/LADX-Disassembly

Btw, the EXE is asking for a .NET installation, how old is this thing?
I read something about how it uses XNA, the development of which ended ten years ago.

Reactions: Gonax

Azael_inf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The remake of this on Switch was my first (and last) Zelda.

It's nice but... considering the remake exists, what's the point?
It's for those who love pixels/pixel art? Because the remake feels superior in every aspect.
Genuinely curious here.

Either way, the series's gameplay loop of constant backtracking, and the sheer repetitiveness of it, shunned me away from this franchise for good.
Well, the official remake's style utterly disgusts me at the very least, so the art here's a + for me.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Its ported directly forum source code reverse engineered, also there's a solarus implementation

https://github.com/snesrev/zelda3

https://github.com/capsterx/solarus

No body knows so far
Just hit start and exit to the main menu and it's saved.

I imagine many of these things will be addressed sooner or later. Or it will be taken down by Nintendo. Whichever comes first.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
this was by far my favorite game boy game and took me YEARS to complete it.. only because i kept running out of batteries. will always hold fond memories of my childhood and after seeing the video i cant wait to play it again as there is so many updated changes it would be rude not to take a look

Reactions: JuanMena

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto