Hacking FALSE: Gateway 3DS Bricking Mechanism Discovered

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why should they state that bricks can happen anytime before everyone starts pointing fingers at them and shouting "they took our jobs they bricked my 3DS!"?

Has BP for example released a statement that drilling for oil on the sea can lead to unintended results before they fucked up?

don't get me wrong: I pray that they undo this shit move and pull the brick code. I just don't get your logic.

they implemented a brick code, for whatever reason. they are then trying to confirm that its not happening to many people, they are trying to save themselves and have lost many customers, they done screwed up

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normatt was not aware that brick code existed when he released his region-free exploit, he had no idea, then Gateway decides to use the code (again, which Normatt didn't know about) and now they are pointing fingers at him, as well as accusing users of buying clones or some crap like that. GW can piss up a rope for all I care.

t-master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Normatt was not aware that brick code existed when he released his region-free exploit, he had no idea, then Gateway decides to use the code (again, which Normatt didn't know about) and now they are pointing fingers at him, as well as accusing users of buying clones or some crap like that. GW can piss up a rope for all I care.

So basically he used someone else's code, distributed it after he modified it and didn't double check that anything bad happens when he removed an obvious integrity check?
Sounds like HE is the one that screwed up in multiple ways, at least for those that got bricked because they used his region free firmware.
Those using the clones, well thank the R4/3DSLink team for that, if they wouldn't have just copied a program from someone else those bricks would have never happened.
The only real victims are the ones using gateway cards, the gateway team should have never implemented such a "feature" without makeing sure it doesn't go wrong.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
So basically he used someone else's code, distributed it after he modified it and didn't double check that anything bad happens when he removed an obvious integrity check?

No, it was a patch that had to be applied by the end-user.

He didn't know it contained the brick code, because people weren't being bricked until the timer went off in the Gateway firmware. It was too late by then...

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like HE is the one that screwed up in multiple ways, at least for those that got bricked because they used his region free firmware.
Those using the clones, well thank the R4/3DSLink team for that, if they wouldn't have just copied a program from someone else those bricks would have never happened.
The only real victims are the ones using gateway cards, the gateway team should have never implemented such a "feature" without makeing sure it doesn't go wrong.

It was NOT his fault. He didn't know it contained the brick code, so don't blame him for the shitstorm.

Reactions: Nightwish

Claw919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was NOT his fault. He didn't know it contained the brick code, so don't blame him for the shitstorm.

I'm not quite sure I agree, here. When you are releasing software without reference to someone else's work, you're releasing it as your own. You're therefore responsible, at least in part.

Now, if he had made his own work and someone hacked in and put exploit code in, that's a different story. But nobody is claiming anything of the kind took place.

Gateway is certainly responsible for the core issue as they put the code in there in the first place, but Normatt/R4i/Orange/whatever can't be absolved of all responsibility. The software people were using was the "blessed" software released by that/those entities, and those people had no other option.

Gateway did something bad, in my opinion. They could certainly have told everyone there was code in there for this sort of thing, but they didn't. They fully intended - through their own actions - to damage people who bought a competing product. Doesn't absolve R4i (etc) of blame, but GW could have bought themselves weeks of lead time on feature releases if they had just been up front. Then, when this all happened, they could have at least said "We told you, guys.". Still shitty of them, but slightly less shitty.

Much respect for Normatt, but just because the GW team is spiteful and underhanded, doesn't absolve him of blame.

Edit: For clarity, I'm referring to the "Normatt is behind the software for R4i" discussion earlier. I'm not referring to his region-free patch, for which he should not take any blame.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Actually, as far as I have read here, he was aware of the bricking code and has patched it so that it would be safe. But according to some further claims of hackers GW has put more bricking code in the launcher firmware that was discovered only after Normmatt released his region-free patch.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, as far as I have read here, he was aware of the bricking code and has patched it so that it would be safe. But according to some further claims of hackers GW has put more bricking code in the launcher firmware that was discovered only after Normmatt released his region-free patch.

They actually put more bricking code in there? Wow, just wow. I think we should change the name of "Team Gateway" to "Team Gatewanker". I'm not at Normatt, because his intent for doing so was good, he wanted to make a region-free patch.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I've been trying but I need a SPI programmer. most sd readers do not enter SPI mode, but SD mode straight!

a nice source (check the concept parts):
http://www.seanet.com/~karllunt/sdlocker2.htm

first:

SPI commands are issued on bytes, directly splitted into 8 bits , YET based on eight bits (8/20000000) based off PWM: which leaves us 0,0000004 bits per second.

while line bus held down. being :

CLK line for syncing both microcontrollers:
Code:
The cards are initialized with a default relative card address (RCA=0x0000) and with a default
driver strength with 400KHz clock frequency
this means we can take directly SCLK from eMMC and sync it with our SPI programmer

(MISO/DI) line for us the SPI controller connected to emmc spi (DO/MOSI).
(MOSI/DO) from the SPI controller goes to (DI/MISO) on emmc spi.

Code:
After poweron or CMD0, all cards CMD lines are in input mode, waiting for start bit of the next command

card init:
(from unaware to sd connect state)
1. emmc(3ds) sends on (DO/MOSI->DI/MISO)(spi prog) the 8th bit a short rising clock that begins and end on the 8bit,
while spi prog sends on (DO/MOSI->DI/MISO) 2 short rising clocks right after the 8th bit, to show emmc is connected to spi programmer.

(init sd to accept commands)
2. spi prog(DO/MOSI->DI/MISO) emmc requires 11 x 8 bits (FF) on the SSEL high.
after that, emmc card is ready to receive commands.

*: please denote that most CMDs, including CMD42 responses on R1 (from emmc DO/MOSI)
*: modern cards have different "sd controllers" we will focus on the SD I/F which takes SPI commands.

Data is sent as 2^48-1 patterns (48 bits) so a command can be read properly. (while DO/MOSI line is high)

15zquxc.jpg

bootup(SD mode, we are not interested in this):
1.8V
:CMD8 //allows booting up SDXX mode
: CMD41(HCS->OCR) //on 1 indicates if SDHC or SDXC
: SR18A & SR18? //both 1
:CMD11
:CMD2
:CMD3

bootup (SPI mode, yay):
3.3V
(now issuing from (DO/MOSI(spi prog) to DI/MISO(emmc) )
:CMD0 0x0 // 0x400000000001 //fake crc, must be valid
:R1 (response command) (DI/MISO spi prog line must be high, so it will listen from DI/MISO emmc, responses will repeat in 0xFF until a proper response appears)
:CMD8 and or CMD7
R1 (response command)
:CMD41
R1 (response command)
:CMD16 0x00000200 //0x500000000281 //force block length to 0x200 fatfs // fake crc

and here is the interesting part:
accepted commands on a locked card: CMD0,CMD7,CMD16,ACMD41,ACMD42

24wyssh.jpg

*dat bit 3 looks interesting

316m9gm.jpg

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really have time to read through all the drama, but as I understand it Gateway included some temporary bricking code in their latest firmware that is ran when used on clones, Normatt worked with clone manufacturers and found the issue whilst working on clones? If so, I don't see why you're all getting angry over this. There have been worse methods of protecting IP. The only downside is that if it bricks whilst on a legitimate cart, and they seem happy enough to repair/replace if that is the case. It was also a beta release, so they're not even inclined to go that far.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have time to read through all the drama, but as I understand it Gateway included some temporary bricking code in their latest firmware that is ran when used on clones, Normatt worked with clone manufacturers and found the issue whilst working on clones? If so, I don't see why you're all getting angry over this. There have been worse methods of protecting IP. The only downside is that if it bricks whilst on a legitimate cart, and they seem happy enough to repair/replace if that is the case. It was also a beta release, so they're not even inclined to go that far.

They're not even inclined to take care of the issue at hand, read the 3DS section on the Max Console forum, it's full of lulz

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, there have been worse cases than turning your hardware into a paperweight? Like what, for example?

Reactions: Huntereb

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity and may have been discussed somewhere but here it goes: Could a person with an external programmer and with an FBGA adapter zero out the NAND and re-flash a backed up nand file back to the chip thus bypassing the eMMC controller? Or is the controller coded into the NAND itself? I think the controller is on a separate chip but I could be wrong here, so please correct me if I am wrong. One would have to completely remove the chip from the board to accomplish this and attempting to do this may be counter productive.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just out of curiosity and may have been discussed somewhere but here it goes: Could a person with an external programmer and with an FBGA adapter zero out the NAND and re-flash a backed up nand file back to the chip thus bypassing the eMMC controller? Or is the controller coded into the NAND itself? I think the controller is on a separate chip but I could be wrong here, so please correct me if I am wrong. One would have to completely remove the chip from the board to accomplish this and attempting to do this may be counter productive.

the SD I/F handles all SPI & SD, this is the main chip the eMMC has, even if separate exists. Another user posted a script zeroing and removing the pass from it, but you need a resource to reach your eMMC (this is the spi controller that can be accesed directly from the OS), and the application sending/receiving commands into a terminal (or memory heap)

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
...and alot of them used the modded launcher by evil clone engineer Normatt ...

EVIL CLONE ENGINEER... You CANNOT be serious :lol:! If anything I bet he didn't even know the code was there until stuff started going down. Typical, someone tries to take something good out of piracy (using flashcart files so people can use actual games region-free) and people go after them~

Anyway, let's just hope things get better instead of getting worse (because they can be a lot worse)

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is number of problems with this report.

#1: It is all based on info being mouthed out by Normatt which I and many others in scene world know for a fact he is main engineer behind the two clones so of course he will do anything to discredit the GW team and their efforts.

#2: It is loop, GBA confirms based on NGB, which is posting what GBA confined, so really there is no solid confimation, just i am saying what he is saying and what i said is what he said, so therefore it must be true, if so true and they claim the have whole decrypted code, why not publish it, and highlighted bits, or tools to allow other people to unpack and decrypt the code themselves so they can verify the facts that are being pushed out by the clone engineers.

#3: If they Normatt and his clone buddies did infact have the whole decrypt code and are so all smart and knowing, then howcome if the bricking code is indeed there and they knew about it, would on purpose leave it in there running, and bypass all the safeguards and sanity checks and checksums testing that original code does, so the socalled bad code would indeed get install and run at some point on both the clones and legit users using his modded launched, a very dirty trick if you ask me, more devilish then anything GW ever did, and with no apologize or I am sorry or anything.

I am sure there is multiple ways of unbricking with right info and tools, but the reason GW is offering to do it for you, is for number of reasons:

#1: Most people don't have the soldering skills or proper equipment to do the job.

#2: If they released all the info, it would, one enable clones to get the upperhand, and two also other others to release even more nasty shit, that could be alot worse then just simple lock on eMMC, etc.

#3: Even if you think you seen alot of LEGIT brick reports, the actual numbers and true ones are very very low, trust me when I say this, as alot of people have both flashcarts so even if they are claiming it bricked when using their LEGIT Gateway, alot of them used a Clone on same 3DS in the past, so they can't claim the brick is LEGIT, and alot of them used the modded launcher by evil clone engineer Normatt, even if they claim they didn't, and some are just outright lieing because they either hate pirates in general or want to for some reason support the clones, or are upset the final 2.0 is not out yet and they can't play Pokemon, or have 6.5 or higher 3DS even tho they bought a GW hoping it would move pass 4.5 by now, there is alot of reasons, but trust me the amount of legit bricks is very low, and could be caused by other factors instead of just this so-called claim by clone engineers that GW is causing it.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...LSE-Gateway-3DS-Bricking-Mechanism-Discovered

finally readable

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have people given a crap about what garyopa says... ever?

This isn't an official statement or anything, he didn't do anything more than kiss some ass to be called the "official support forum" just to make advertising revenue.

How he ever became a spokesperson for GW is beyond me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: But let's see what GabeN decides though