fail0verflow team discover PS5 root keys (symmetric) including per-console root key

FDoUDczWQBAkPwB.png

Following the recent news that famous security engineer Andy Nguyen has managed to enable debug settings on his own PlayStation 5, we are now receiving claims that the well-known hacking group fail0verflow have been able to extract all symmetric PS5 root keys, including per-console root keys.

While not much information is yet known about the process, it's worth noting that although they are claiming to be able to read the keys for encrypted files, it is likely not possible at this point to re-sign modified files in a way that the system would accept them. However, this remains a very positive first step into gaining further understanding in to how the PlayStation 5 works.

It is worth mentioning that fail0verflow are famously anti-piracy and once decided against releasing their Wii U exploit knowing it would result in software piracy.

:arrow: Source

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no way in hell am i hacking my ALL digital PS5 which i bought directly from Sony (my ps4 yes i will if/when an 8.52 exploit comes out til then collecting dust)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now watch everyone begging for this exploit to be made into a fecking jailbreak...... that term pisses me of, its never been a jailbreak since the fecking egohot ps3.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now watch everyone begging for this exploit to be made into a fecking jailbreak...... that term pisses me of, its never been a jailbreak since the fecking egohot ps3.
Feel the same. Jailbreak implies security failure. The ps4 is still pretty secure as we have to use fpkg files.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feel the same. Jailbreak implies security failure. The ps4 is still pretty secure as we have to use fpkg files.
Ohh and everyone who are now dissing TX that were the only ones to hack the new switch consoles, one n00bie in here then goes to call hackers trashy and we need new blood.

Its this attitude why we dont see hackers release their work and have sony or nintendo or microsoft of their backs.

For what, when you get caught have n00bies slate you for wanting a little something for your work.

Afterall, they're saving you a shit load by not having to buy your games, ohh and if you are going to pretend you dont pirate, keep that little lie to yourself.

Those with that attitude do as they're the type that expect everything handed to them for free

those that have respect, wont disrespect hackers.

But like the ps4 you wont see anything surface until that firmware is long out of date.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming that games are now encrypted with the per console root key. the ps3/4 don't do this. if that's the case, it will have to be decryptable somehow or else sharing games won't work. it would be like using someone else's nand.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might be able to resign it, however that works with the system. updating a jtag/rgh is like this. you have to encrypt the nand with your cpu key or the system will brick if you use another. don't think a ps5 would brick, just game wouldn't work between two systems without resigning it specifically for your system. I don't know if that's what they're saying though, so I'm just speculating at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.