Factory Made Counterfeit Games?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by .::5pYd3r::., Dec 26, 2007.

Dec 26, 2007
  1. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    My cousin got a Jap Wii and 17 games from China from some guy and the games are factory made(as in the information side of the discs are silver instead of being that purple colour) but from the label you can tell its pirated because the image is usually stretched to fit the disc and its in full colour. I thought i might mention it because its quite odd IMO. I'll try and post pics later.

2. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Hmm weirdness.
    Im curoius.
    Yes pics please.

So the disc art is just stretched color images huh?
    Yet the games are fine working ones.
    Hmm, sure te Wii is truely unmoded?
    Could be a modded Wii and the games are just good DVD-Rs.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I assume the wii is unmodded, if so the discs could well have been pressed (I have seen such things appear out of Chinese led operations).
    If that is the case it may be possible to replicate via a conventional drive with a modded lead-in burning ability (much like pre decss DVD copying) which could open up some interesting doors.

4. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    that Wii is definatly chipped!

5. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    if you dumped the dsics properly, and burnt them using the same dvd type/burner/everything, shouldnt it be possible to do that anyway?

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    You have to have that factory DVD printer, you can't use recordable DVDs. Factory DVDs aren't burned, they are actually pressed using a template, and then coated in plastic layer by layer. If you had a DVD printer (or DVD press), you could make copies identical to the original games. And there are factories in China that manufacture counterfeitXbox and PC games, so why not Wii games?

Except that this is the worst kind of piracy and should be rooted out. The entire GBATEMP, downloading iso-s all day long and never buying a Wii game again, can't create such a financial loss as just one of those factories. Because, they are not only stealing games, they are stealing customers who were actually willing to pay for games.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    To add to veho and follow the style of the times here is a nice flv video of one of my favourite shows detailing CD (it is the same for all optical media save laser disc and its kin)
    http://www.shoutfile.com/v/FD2pyEAg/How_its_made_CD_pressing

Commercially available writers have a different spec (normally the first section of the disc is written differently) to frustrate copying efforts (this is why we need mod chips, modded firmwares and so forth) but some drives can be hacked to become like pressing machines in as much as they can make a 1:1 copy (ignoring any comparisons of quality that is).

8. darkgunsou86

Newcomer darkgunsou86 Advanced Member

Malaysia
    You people would be surprised at the mass availability and quality of factory printed pirated game discs in Malaysia. I would upload the pics but i don't know how. this practically robs the companies producing games. However, since original games are overpriced in south east asia due to the exchange rate, people continue to lap them up in droves. at least singapore has strict laws that forbid sale and downloading of pirated stuff but this can be circumvented by buying them in Malaysia. they can either copy psp isos to the memory sticks which makes random checks impossible due to the massive amount of people crossing the causeway everyday and pirated game shops have couriers sending pirated game discs across the causeway hidden in the motorcycles' compartment.

9. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If they can now counterfeit the original games, so they work on a Wii. Maybe something like swapmagic isn't far off.

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Pressed or not, no way of running your own code on a wii has been released.

11. -KangaRod-

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    it has now.

12. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    So, swap magic should be possible soon.

Also to the OP. Pressed games will lengthen the life of your laser dramatically as their reflection rates are 100%, unlike a burnt game which even on the best media is around 50%-60%.

13. darkgunsou86

Newcomer darkgunsou86 Advanced Member

Malaysia
    Really, i never knew. i alway thought burnt dvds are the best even though they are purple (look like original) because i've some low quality pressed discs that is either choppy or unreadable but became perfect after burning them to a dvd r. the pressed discs i bought are golden in color and not purple like originals. so why not the burnt games have the same reflection rates like originals?

14. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    Well, the pressed games have the information stamped onto them with very expensive equipment whereas a burnt dvd/cd has a dye on the bottom that is written into. So, a burnt game (which will read beter if the original is scratched up) can't give back a reflection to the laser as strong as a pressed disc.

15. Supertag

Newcomer Supertag Advanced Member

United States
    I thought it would be possible to get games running on a unchipped Wii if the disk was pressed correctly [​IMG]

16. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I said released. There isn't a released PoC yet.