.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My cousin got a Jap Wii and 17 games from China from some guy and the games are factory made(as in the information side of the discs are silver instead of being that purple colour) but from the label you can tell its pirated because the image is usually stretched to fit the disc and its in full colour. I thought i might mention it because its quite odd IMO. I'll try and post pics later.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm weirdness.
Im curoius.
Yes pics please.

So the disc art is just stretched color images huh?
Yet the games are fine working ones.
Hmm, sure te Wii is truely unmoded?
Could be a modded Wii and the games are just good DVD-Rs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume the wii is unmodded, if so the discs could well have been pressed (I have seen such things appear out of Chinese led operations).
If that is the case it may be possible to replicate via a conventional drive with a modded lead-in burning ability (much like pre decss DVD copying) which could open up some interesting doors.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You have to have that factory DVD printer, you can't use recordable DVDs. Factory DVDs aren't burned, they are actually pressed using a template, and then coated in plastic layer by layer. If you had a DVD printer (or DVD press), you could make copies identical to the original games. And there are factories in China that manufacture counterfeitXbox and PC games, so why not Wii games?

Except that this is the worst kind of piracy and should be rooted out. The entire GBATEMP, downloading iso-s all day long and never buying a Wii game again, can't create such a financial loss as just one of those factories. Because, they are not only stealing games, they are stealing customers who were actually willing to pay for games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To add to veho and follow the style of the times here is a nice flv video of one of my favourite shows detailing CD (it is the same for all optical media save laser disc and its kin)
http://www.shoutfile.com/v/FD2pyEAg/How_its_made_CD_pressing

Commercially available writers have a different spec (normally the first section of the disc is written differently) to frustrate copying efforts (this is why we need mod chips, modded firmwares and so forth) but some drives can be hacked to become like pressing machines in as much as they can make a 1:1 copy (ignoring any comparisons of quality that is).

darkgunsou86

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
You people would be surprised at the mass availability and quality of factory printed pirated game discs in Malaysia. I would upload the pics but i don't know how. this practically robs the companies producing games. However, since original games are overpriced in south east asia due to the exchange rate, people continue to lap them up in droves. at least singapore has strict laws that forbid sale and downloading of pirated stuff but this can be circumvented by buying them in Malaysia. they can either copy psp isos to the memory sticks which makes random checks impossible due to the massive amount of people crossing the causeway everyday and pirated game shops have couriers sending pirated game discs across the causeway hidden in the motorcycles' compartment.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they can now counterfeit the original games, so they work on a Wii.  Maybe something like swapmagic isn't far off.

Pressed or not, no way of running your own code on a wii has been released.

Soon enough though. This is from Wiinewz
In pressed Wii games, there are two values that are put together to make the on-the-fly decryption key with which the Wii can actually execute the game. One in on the security ring of the manufactured disc, and one is stored by every Wii to decrypt data (the static key). What's happened here is they've got the "Lego Star Wars" game key simply from the disc, and they've got the FULL ("master") key used to decrypt ONLY Lego Star Wars game through dumping Wii memory (this was done by disabling some of the ATi bridge that locks out the RAM during Gamecube mode).

Now, this resulted in the "master" key for Lego Star Wars, and the "disc auth" key for it too. Reverse engineering this resulted in the generic Wii data key, thus allowing them to burn their own data under the disguise of LSW. Then, of course, a drive modchip was needed cos they can't press their own discs...

STILL, that's what's going on... Nintendo wouldn't be able to patch this with a firmware update. They'd have to change hardware keys and most DEFINITELY fix up the ATi lockout bridge too.

So, swap magic should be possible soon.

Also to the OP. Pressed games will lengthen the life of your laser dramatically as their reflection rates are 100%, unlike a burnt game which even on the best media is around 50%-60%.

darkgunsou86

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
QUOTE said:
Pressed games will lengthen the life of your laser dramatically as their reflection rates are 100%, unlike a burnt game which even on the best media is around 50%-60%.

Really, i never knew. i alway thought burnt dvds are the best even though they are purple (look like original) because i've some low quality pressed discs that is either choppy or unreadable but became perfect after burning them to a dvd r. the pressed discs i bought are golden in color and not purple like originals. so why not the burnt games have the same reflection rates like originals?

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Pressed games will lengthen the life of your laser dramatically as their reflection rates are 100%, unlike a burnt game which even on the best media is around 50%-60%.

Really, i never knew. i alway thought burnt dvds are the best even though they are purple (look like original) because i've some low quality pressed discs that is either choppy or unreadable but became perfect after burning them to a dvd r. the pressed discs i bought are golden in color and not purple like originals. so why not the burnt games have the same reflection rates like originals?

Well, the pressed games have the information stamped onto them with very expensive equipment whereas a burnt dvd/cd has a dye on the bottom that is written into. So, a burnt game (which will read beter if the original is scratched up) can't give back a reflection to the laser as strong as a pressed disc.

Supertag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it would be possible to get games running on a unchipped Wii if the disk was pressed correctly
sonofwaffle.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn