Facebook's Rolling Out High-Resolution Photo Sharing

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Infinite Zero, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Infinite Zero
    OP

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    [​IMG]

As big fans of photo-sharing site Flickr, one of the most frustrating things about the popularity of photo sharing on social-networking site Facebook has always been the relatively terrible quality of Facebook's highly compressed photos. Starting today, that's changing.

Over the next few weeks, Facebook will be rolling out support for high-res pictures for free to every user:

"We're increasing the size of the photos stored from 720 pixels to 2048 pixels on the largest edge, for an 8 times increase overall. I'm really excited to be launching this feature. To see the quality of these pictures, you can view National Geographic's "Top-Rated Your Shot Photos (September)" album or Sports Illustrated's "Football Across America" album. Download high-resolution photos by clicking the "Download" link."

They're also updating their photo viewer with a new lightbox interface (think Flickr's new galleries—dark background with the image popping out in the forefront). Chances are you're not seeing any of the updates in your account yet, but the rollout starts today, so if you aren't, you can expect it in the near future.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

For me, this is really not necessary. But does this mean more stalking to HQ two-piece photos for men? [​IMG]

2. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    I don't use facebook myself, but for most people this wil be an awsome thing to use!

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    sweet! itll be easier to share pictures now....and some light facebook stalking. [​IMG]

4. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    At last!!! High res pictures!!

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I just want them to start supporting animated gifs. I've got a bunch of gifs I need to post in my Funny Shit folder.

For those of you who have me on Facebook, yes, there is a Funny Shit folder.

6. craplame

Member craplame GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This would make my sister happy since she uses Facebook 24/7. But, that's awesome. Took them long enough.

7. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    This means I'm gonna have to ask a friend to reupload some photos I'd like in a higher resolution...

8. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Nice... [​IMG]