Hacking EZ Flash Omega - White Screen+Lost Save

thehillskills

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long time reader, first time poster. Bought an EZ Flash Omega and have loved it. Recently have been playing (A TON) of Summon Knight. Have been very careful and cautious about saves and shutting down. Yesterday however, I went to load up Summon Knight (Clean Boot with Add On) and am just greeted with a white screen. Unlike some of the other posts I have read, it is only this game. Every other game+save loads just fine, but just Summon Knight doesn't load at all. I would like to try to recover my save, but realize that is unlikely, but I can't even get the game to load to start a new game. Even if I pop the SDHC into my PC and remove the RTS/Saver file for that game, I can't even start a fresh game/save. Even with a clean boot, I can't get it to load. Any ideas?

Using a Samsung 32 gb SDHC formated as FAT32

I scoured through a dozen or so posts, but couldn't find one that addresses this problem specifically. Maybe it is just a save issue and I shut down too soon, although I waited 5 seconds. Thanks in advance! Hoping to start some FF Advance games, but a bit terrified of losing dozens of hours of gameplay again! haha

Last edited by thehillskills,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scan the microSD. If you get a lot of errors, I'd consider reformatting and copying everything over from scratch. If you get little (like only a file or a folder (other than root)) corrupt, I'd just delete/overwrite the effected files. I'd also overwrite the game with a backup, as I've had games on the EZ Flash Omega be overwritten. And as I always recommend, I'd clean the contacts of your GBA/NDS and the EZ Omega.

If you've played on the same card for a while without issue, I'd presume it's not the microSD card itself nor the ROM itself (the original, I mean), but I still don't 100% trust the EZ Flash Omega to not corrupt files. I'd recommend doing regular backups of your saves and keeping a copy of the whole microSD on another device just in case.

The one thing I'm curious about is you say "Clean Boot with Add On". Clean Boot is without Add ons. Boot with Add Ons patches the game. If you do use a rom hack (not sure if you are), you should either disable "fast patch engine" or start the rom hack with "Clean boot". Personally, about 90% of the time I use "Clean Boot" because the patch engine isn't 100% effective. If you're using a good dump of Summon Night (I presume that's what you mean), it probably shouldn't matter since it's usually the less common games that haven't been tested enough.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

thehillskills

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scan the microSD. If you get a lot of errors, I'd consider reformatting and copying everything over from scratch. If you get little (like only a file or a folder (other than root)) corrupt, I'd just delete/overwrite the effected files. I'd also overwrite the game with a backup, as I've had games on the EZ Flash Omega be overwritten. And as I always recommend, I'd clean the contacts of your GBA/NDS and the EZ Omega.

If you've played on the same card for a while without issue, I'd presume it's not the microSD card itself nor the ROM itself (the original, I mean), but I still don't 100% trust the EZ Flash Omega to not corrupt files. I'd recommend doing regular backups of your saves and keeping a copy of the whole microSD on another device just in case.

The one thing I'm curious about is you say "Clean Boot with Add On". Clean Boot is without Add ons. Boot with Add Ons patches the game. If you do use a rom hack (not sure if you are), you should either disable "fast patch engine" or start the rom hack with "Clean boot". Personally, about 90% of the time I use "Clean Boot" because the patch engine isn't 100% effective. If you're using a good dump of Summon Night (I presume that's what you mean), it probably shouldn't matter since it's usually the less common games that haven't been tested enough.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

I haven't played on this EZ Omega a lot, other than this game and a few others. None of the others have had a problem. Don't have more tan 40 hours of play time on it though. I am playing it on a REVO K1 Plus, although I am not sure that impacts it?

If you do clean boot, (without addons?) you can't sleep or do save states right? I love being able to have the pickup and play, put down and go abilities of the save states. I have fast patch enabled, I will disable it and see if that helps with a clean boot, no addons.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

With a scan (using the built in windows error checking?) shows zero errors. So not sure what has gone wrong!

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am playing it on a REVO K1 Plus, although I am not sure that impacts it?

Well, AFAIK you can hypothetically use the EZ Omega with a Revo K1 Plus, that already comes with a K1 card doesn't it? I presume it doesn't include sleep or save states?

If you do clean boot, (without addons?) you can't sleep or do save states right? I

Correct. More precisely, I'm not sure if the EZ Omega ever fixed an EZ3/EZ4 bug that prevents sleep from working. But the sleep patch hotkey definitely won't work. The same with save states.

I have fast patch enabled, I will disable it and see if that helps with a clean boot, no addons.

Clean Boot is what it sounds like--a clean boot without patching/add ons. If a game isn't working with Clean Boot, then the issue is either the save or the rom.

With a scan (using the built in windows error checking?) shows zero errors. So not sure what has gone wrong!

Did you try overwriting the Summon Night game/rom? With a blank save it should work if it worked before.

thehillskills

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, AFAIK you can hypothetically use the EZ Omega with a Revo K1 Plus, that already comes with a K1 card doesn't it? I presume it doesn't include sleep or save states?

Correct. More precisely, I'm not sure if the EZ Omega ever fixed an EZ3/EZ4 bug that prevents sleep from working. But the sleep patch hotkey definitely won't work. The same with save states.

Clean Boot is what it sounds like--a clean boot without patching/add ons. If a game isn't working with Clean Boot, then the issue is either the save or the rom.

Did you try overwriting the Summon Night game/rom? With a blank save it should work if it worked before.

Interesting thing happened. I reformatted the card, but dropped my OLD .sav file into the directory and now I have my save game, but not my "save state" game. So I don't know where those were/are stored separately, but it wasn't my saved game that was corrupted, and I did have fast-patching enabled before, so maybe that was the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Might have some lidelle fanart as later profile pictures