Hacking EZ-Flash Omega and Gameboy border and color problem

Atlantis_Risen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm having an issue with playing gameboy games on an EZ Flash Omega on my AGS-101. I'm using Kernel 1.07 and Firmware 7.0. Every review I've seen for the Omega, shows it displaying the outer SGB pallette with games that support that. Specifically, Links Awakening, Donkey Kong and Pokemon Blue should display a themed outer border. My Omega doesn't display these borders, and nothing I change in the settings helps. I also want to use the GBC colors, but don't see this in the settings. Can anyone help? Thanks.

PS: I don't have either of these problems with gameyob on DS, borders and colors work great. Same roms.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm having an issue with playing gameboy games on an EZ Flash Omega on my AGS-101. I'm using Kernel 1.07 and Firmware 7.0. Every review I've seen for the Omega, shows it displaying the outer SGB pallette with games that support that. Specifically, Links Awakening, Donkey Kong and Pokemon Blue should display a themed outer border. My Omega doesn't display these borders, and nothing I change in the settings helps. I also want to use the GBC colors, but don't see this in the settings. Can anyone help? Thanks.

PS: I don't have either of these problems with gameyob on DS, borders and colors work great. Same roms.
Like so
05dcf4e0da2f8586f607fbf59658da08.jpg

Atlantis_Risen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, my settings are identical to yours, but it doesn't display a border. The ROM is definitely ok, because it does display the zelda border using other emulators.

cassinni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this worked well for me, but after every shut down of the gba sp, i have do redo these settings.
Is there a way to save these settings, so everytime i start pokemon blue it looks pretty?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this worked well for me, but after every shut down of the gba sp, i have do redo these settings.
Is there a way to save these settings, so everytime i start pokemon blue it looks pretty?
There is no way to save these settings, it will always revert to the default the creator of the kernel has specified.

I use a firmware made by the user @veikkos, specifically this one, which still has GBC colors and SGB border enabled by default:

https://github.com/veikkos/omega-kernel/releases/tag/k1.06_fw7-veikkos4

later versions (veikkos5) have this feature specifically removed because someone else didn't like it.
Goomba changes (issue link) (patch link)
  • No SGB borders by default
    • New "Prefer GBC over GB" default mode instead of "Prefer GBC over SGB"
  • Original GB games use black and white "Grayscale" palette instead of colorized "Wario Blast"

Last edited by Localhorst86,

cassinni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is no way to save these settings, it will always revert to the default the creator of the kernel has specified.

I use a firmware made by the user @veikkos, specifically this one, which still has GBC colors and SGB border enabled by default:

https://github.com/veikkos/omega-kernel/releases/tag/k1.06_fw7-veikkos4

later versions (veikkos5) have this feature specifically removed because someone else didn't like it.

Does this kernel fix the issues with game saves, aswell?
With ez flash omega i have big issues, where save games disappear or did not save. (yes, i wait around 10 seconds after L+R save file)

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does this kernel fix the issues with game saves, aswell?
With ez flash omega i have big issues, where save games disappear or did not save. (yes, i wait around 10 seconds after L+R save file)
I don't use the Goomba emulator very often, but I have not had issues with saving whatsoever.

Note that for Goomba, you need to bring up the emulator menu to initiate the SRAM writing process.

E.g.: save in Pokémon, open Goomba emulator to initiate the saving process to sd card, wait 5 seconds for the save to be fully written, then power off your gba. Do not use the "exit" function in the en mode menu.

Reactions: cassinni

cassinni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't use the Goomba emulator very often, but I have not had issues with saving whatsoever.

Note that for Goomba, you need to bring up the emulator menu to initiate the SRAM writing process.

E.g.: save in Pokémon, open Goomba emulator to initiate the saving process to sd card, wait 5 seconds for the save to be fully written, then power off your gba. Do not use the "exit" function in the en mode menu.

I installed the same version of the kernel as you. Thank you for that! It saves me time everytime i start a game. I dont understand how
he would remove that because someone doesnt like the colors...

The way i save games in Pokemon is, Press L+R go to Save State and go to New and press A, wait 10 seconds and then press exit in gooba or turn of the power. I never use the native Pokemon (GBA SP) save method. Am I doing something wrong?

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I installed the same version of the kernel as you. Thank you for that! It saves me time everytime i start a game. I dont understand how
he would remove that because someone doesnt like the colors...

The way i save games in Pokemon is, Press L+R go to Save State and go to New and press A, wait 10 seconds and then press exit in gooba or turn of the power. I never use the native Pokemon (GBA SP) save method. Am I doing something wrong?

I definitely advise against using the "exit" function in Goomba. As far as I remember, the official EZFlash implementation of the emulator was flawed in that regard and I believe veikkos4 was released before that bug was discovered and addressed. Always power off the GBA while in this menu (after giving the Omega time to write the save to the SD card, i.e. the obligatory 5-10 seconds).

As to savestates: I never use the savestate function in goomba so I don't really have any experience with it. I gave it a couple of tries just now and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I haven't lost any savestate I tried. Here's a potential workaround that might give you better results: After saving the state, close the goomba menu (L+R), open it back up, wait 5-10 seconds, then power off your GBA.

Reactions: cassinni

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat