Hacking EZ Flash IV problem - Cannot be detected...?

DatGameh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello.
I have recently bought an EZ Flash, and the thrid time I put it in, it doesn't work. There are three possible outcomes when I turn on my GBA:
1. Gb and Nintendo logo appear, but what comes after is a white screen.
2. GB logo appears but no nintendo logo (not detected)
3. Nintendo logo is garbled up (rarest case)

I have tested and concluded that the GBA is still in good condition; it can read my GBC game just fine, no matter how often I take it in or out.
I have no other GBA game by the way. I have given them away years back (along with my previous GBA).

My method of fixing this problem temporarily is banging my GBA (with the cartridge in it) against a soft surface like my thigh. It works, until I remove it or bump my GBA (freezing the game, and makimg loud garbled noise). I have also tried to put a small layer of tissue underneath the pcb to increase the contact with the pins of the GBA. I thought it was working, so I replaced them with paper. And now it stopped working forever.

But here are the characteristics of the EZ Flash that I find odd:
1. It's a tight fit when I insert it to the GBA.
2. The case is kinda loose (this is actually said to be the characteristic of the EZ Flash)
3. Worst of all... on the bottom of the PCB, there is an odd solodified liquid covering a little bit of the chip on the right, and some of the pins of that chip. The liquid is solid, somewhat easy to scratch off (like a harder version of wax), translucent, black, and smells of cockroach (bitter).

I don't know at this point what the cause is. Could the liquid be from the chip itself, or even be conductive? I think not because it had worked with the presence of that before.

Or could it be my GBA's inability to read GBA games...?

Help!

P.S. I'll send a pic when requested. I currently don't have it with me during the time of writing this.

HiddenRambler

Trophies
XP
Country
Just checked both EZ IVs I have and neither has any waxy substance. Perhaps your board has some residue soldier flux. Best thing would be to post a picture so we could see what it is. I would personally clean it very carefully using some Iso Propyl Alcohol.

DatGameh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Alright...
Here it is:
2j12c87.jpg

9a7bz4.jpg

Only one chip affected.
I have no isopropyl alcohil with me. I'll update in a few days.

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that looks like flux residue. Isopropyl is fine, nail polish remover (acetone) if it does not have anything else in there (if it says treats and conditions then don't use it). Basically something that won't eat the board and won't leave anything behind. That said it should not do it there and if it is indicative of the other side with pins that go into the GBA (those others on that side are likely just programming pins) then it would see what you have there. You could also try the paper trick where you fold a piece of paper a couple of times and put it between the board and case.

Alternatively I can't see it very well as it is slightly out of focus but those pins on the chip starting with M6 might not be well aligned on one side (top of the PCB, next to R15, C13, R5 and R2) and that would also cause what you see. It is possible to fix that (reflowing a PCB or a chip on it is nothing major) but it is not something most people with a basic home soldering iron will be easily able to pull off -- I would really want hot air or IR. If it was just a chip and PCB you could solder it easily enough with normal home gear but this is rework rather than straight soldering.

DatGameh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I just cleaned out the solder flux. Still dead...
Damn.
Oh well. How much do you think this'll cost for spare parts?
That's if I can't find a person to solder this.

If I were to ask someone to re-solder the chips, how hard can it be? I have no experience in soldering, so I have to hire someone.
It's pretty obvious that this solder is done by a machine. Can it be redone by a human? :/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still don't know if the chips need soldering again -- the picture you had was out of focus/blown out there and with how close the pins are I can't call anything using them. However it looked like I would want to investigate further.

The soldering is not necessarily done by machine either, I mean it is possible and even probable for some things but depending upon how many were made and where (it is a Chinese company after all) it could still have been hand assembled, granted that does look like bad reflow if it is what I think it is.
Anyway rework and soldering videos

It is all gear that good laptop/phone repair shops will have, I certainly use similar stuff for repairing laptops and phones. Equally it is not about replacing chips here, mainly as most of those will have something on it (that M6 chip is the NOR-SRAM which has the loader and it not being available to it would cause what you see) and we don't necessarily have code to flash back, so you will want to try to fix/reuse the chips there. Reheating chips multiple times is not ideal but it can be done and should be OK here if done properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu