Gaming Extremely lightweight OS

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for something very lightweight but functional, so I don't think DSL is an option for me. I've tried Ubuntu netbook remix and Jolicloud and both are too much for it to handle.
It's a HP Omnibook 6000, 256MB of RAM, 16GB HDD and a 542Mhz pentium III processor. Any suggestions?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Minox_IX said:
Urza said:
archlinux.org
I second that suggestion. Arch is my OS of choice if resources are limited.
What is your Linux OS of choice when resources aren't limited?
Usually Ubuntu. I think I am going with Archlinux but I'm trying to figure a way to install it. I don't have any CDs to burn onto at the moment and I'm doing the USB install but when I try to boot it just ignores that it's even there. :/

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
You have to set the boot order in the BIOS, It's not really complicated, but it's hard to explain and you could mess up and fk your computer.

Basically, what this means is that your computer boots things in this order right now

CD/DVD Drive
HardDrive
External Drive 1
External Drive 2

Where CD/DVD Drive is the CD or DVD. If there's nothing there, it moves on to the Hard Drive, which is your OS.
If there's nothing there, it moves on to any external drives.
A USB is an external drive, you have to move it up above HardDrive, eg.

CD/DVD Drive
External Drive 1
External Drive 2
HardDrive

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I did but it still will not boot. I chose "esc for boot options" then "removable media" and then it boots xp which is the current OS on the laptop.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Did you put all the removable media on top of the harddrive?
If you did, when you boot it should say something like
"Press F11 to boot removable media"
Before it boots into XP.
BTW, it could be anything, not just F11, depending on your computer.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
pyrmon24 said:
Minox_IX said:
Urza said:
archlinux.org
For Minox_IX, and for most PC gamers, that would be Windows. But on a lightweight system, such as a netbook, I'd pick Arch everytime.
Anyway, just re-recommending arch, as it is excellent.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Arch isn't up your alley.
Although super customizable, and quite possibly the lightest OS you'll have (since you'll only put what you want in it), the setup's just crazy. Lots of command line guru. So be warned.

The other two that aren't nearly as hard as Arch, but still quite low on resources are:

Damn Small Linux
and Puppy Linux

Both extremely small.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
pyrmon24 said:
Minox_IX said:
Urza said:
archlinux.org
For Minox_IX, and for most PC gamers, that would be Windows. But on a lightweight system, such as a netbook, I'd pick Arch everytime.
Anyway, just re-recommending arch, as it is excellent.
Hopefully that's won't be the case in a year or few, as OSX is slowly gaining momentum as a gaming platform.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have it working now and it runs amazingly. I'm not afraid of terminal it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The only problem I have is that it won't boot gnome automatically. I added it to the DAEMONS list, but still I have to initiate it manually.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sjones900 said:
I have it working now and it runs amazingly. I'm not afraid of terminal it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The only problem I have is that it won't boot gnome automatically. I added it to the DAEMONS list, but still I have to initiate it manually.

If you're referring to arch by "it", have a look here for instructions on how to set this up (similar guides probably available for most other distros too).

While which DE/WM is best is very subjective, Gnome really isn't optimal for running on an old PC. XFCE would be a better choice if you want something similar that is lightweight and best suited would be a minimal WM like Fluxbox, Openbox or Awesome.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Arch is really lightweight at first

trollface.png

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mazor said:
sjones900 said:

If you're referring to arch by "it", have a look here for instructions on how to set this up (similar guides probably available for most other distros too).

While which DE/WM is best is very subjective, Gnome really isn't optimal for running on an old PC. XFCE would be a better choice if you want something similar that is lightweight and best suited would be a minimal WM like Fluxbox, Openbox or Awesome.
what about LXDE? and since I have gnome installed now do I have to remove it to install another gui?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?