GCN Extracting icons from GameCube ISO

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There seem to be two icons contained in most GameCube ISOs: the game banner (a 96 x 32 image) and the save banner (a square icon, which can be animated). Most programs that can open GameCube ISOs can export the game banner to PNG, but I have not found one which can export the save banner from an ISO.

How can I extract the save banner?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know if have an easier one but try GCRebuilder, I used it to try make some undubs (and failes OTL) and they shows your the icon and give option to get or change it

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is that the game I wanted to rip from doesn't actually save. But as it is a prototype of a game that does save, I suspect that it has unused save icons. einstein95 has helpfully suggested that I use one of the tools that comes with GCN MemCard Recover to rip the icons from the (banner?) file on the disc. I haven't tried it yet, but expect that it will work.

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bump. I finally got round to opening the banner.bnr. Works fine, but only contains the banner, not the icon. I assume it is in icon.bin, or might his game not have an icon.

gcbanner doesn't seem to be able to open icon.bin. Can it? If not, what can?

Reactions: JakobAir

Hiccup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bump. How can you rip the icon (the square graphic) from a GCN game that doesn't save but does have an icon.bin? And from one that doesn't save and doesn't have an icon.bin?

aromaticcactus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
turns out that the animated icons don't have a..."
Yo I figured out a way recently to extract the banner image and the icon image or gif, in case anyone every reads this thread or u come back to it I'll leave a quick tut

Look online for (or extract if you have a modchip) a gamecube bios dump, and download the latest ipl file.
In explorer (not sure if it works on mac, sorry mac users) go to documents, dolphin emu, GC, USA (oe ur region), and paste it in the (region) folder (renamed to ipl.bin).

Now open dolphin, open the graphics settings and go to the advanced tab. Now check the box. Make sure you check off everything under the Texture Dumping section (enable, dump base textures, dump mip maps.

Now close graphics, and go to the configuration settings. Click to the gamecube tab, and under IPL settings unchecked skip main menu.

Now boot up any iso, and hold down a on the startup screen like you would normally. Go to the memory management section where you have the banner/icon you want to copy. Scroll over to it and highlight the save file. Once you've done that, close out of dolphin.

You can now go back to documents>dolphin emulator>dump>textures and check the folder that matches the game ID of the iso you opened to access the memory management system.

Voila.

You can use the images to create a gif, or just use the still image if that's all there is.

Hope this helped somebody out.

#freemelee

Last edited by aromaticcactus,
Reactions: HelpTheWretched

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth