Extracting icons from GameCube ISO

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Hiccup, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Hiccup
    OP

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    There seem to be two icons contained in most GameCube ISOs: the game banner (a 96 x 32 image) and the save banner (a square icon, which can be animated). Most programs that can open GameCube ISOs can export the game banner to PNG, but I have not found one which can export the save banner from an ISO.

How can I extract the save banner?

2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I don't know if have an easier one but try GCRebuilder, I used it to try make some undubs (and failes OTL) and they shows your the icon and give option to get or change it

3. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    You could take a screenshot of dolphin's Memory Card Manager.. I assume it to be at original resolution.
    You could also try to run the GCN BIOS on Dolphin and go to the Memory Card Manager (BIOS side ofc) and enable texture dumping

4. Hiccup
    OP

Nov 21, 2009
    The problem is that the game I wanted to rip from doesn't actually save. But as it is a prototype of a game that does save, I suspect that it has unused save icons. einstein95 has helpfully suggested that I use one of the tools that comes with GCN MemCard Recover to rip the icons from the (banner?) file on the disc. I haven't tried it yet, but expect that it will work.

5. Hiccup
    OP

Nov 21, 2009
    Bump. I finally got round to opening the banner.bnr. Works fine, but only contains the banner, not the icon. I assume it is in icon.bin, or might his game not have an icon.

gcbanner doesn't seem to be able to open icon.bin. Can it? If not, what can?

JakobAir likes this.
  6. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    you can't see it on GCRebuilder? õ3o

7. Hiccup
    OP

Nov 21, 2009
    GCRebuilder reads from the banner.bin. Not the icon.bin.

8. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    oh I see o-o
    hm .. well I don't know them :/

9. Hiccup
    OP

Nov 21, 2009
    Bump. How can you rip the icon (the square graphic) from a GCN game that doesn't save but does have an icon.bin? And from one that doesn't save and doesn't have an icon.bin?

10. Hiccup
    OP

Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by Hiccup, Feb 15, 2017