External Hard drive choices, Externally powered vs Y Cable.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Mrgreen1290, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Mrgreen1290
    OP

Mrgreen1290 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2014
    United States
    I had a wiiU for close to 2 years and I have powered my external drive off a Y cable. Last week my WiiU started freezing on launch. I looked up this problem and found it has been happening frequently to WiiUs. When I contacted support they said that they recommend using an externally powered hard drive and couldn't say using a Y cable was a safe way to use an external hard drive.

I have my old External hard drive and the Y Cable but I looked on amazon and everything on there seems to be 70-100 Dollars or more for an externally powered hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas on if the Y cable is what caused this problem? Maybe some fault with the system because it was 3 years old? Any recommendation or advice. Sadly money does not grow on trees for me :(

2. Mrgreen1290
    OP

Mrgreen1290 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2014
    United States
    Is this a good idea?

I would use it. Use a Y-cable definitely or it probably won't even spin up. Personally I use a USB wall charger and plug the second usb cable into it to provide the power. This is mostly because I have a usb LAN adapter and the Gamecube adapter for Smash plugged in as well.

3. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice