People with WesternDigital HDD sleep problem

CHECK YOUR APM VALUE BEFORE USING THIS TOOL, INFO IN POINT 3

1.What is this

Ok, I've seen some people suffering from this bothersome spin down mode with their Western Digital HDD, well, I was once a "victim" of this annoying spin down. After some search in the WesternDigital forum I found a tool that disable it, it's called WDIdleDisable Tool.

Works on:
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
As you can see in the download page it shows a WD Elements SE Portable device, well my HDD is 1tb WD My Passport SE, so it shouldn't be problems of compatibility for people with My Passport.

Obligatory: Use at your own RISK!!!
http://support.wdc.c...sid=154&lang=en

2.Why sleepy HDD are bad for my Wii

Wii needs keep data transfer constant to avoid problems as longer loading times, music stream hiccups, etc.

3.How to know if my HDD is sleepy

1. Run CrystalDiskInfo in your PC http://crystalmark.i...fo/index-e.html
2. Connect your HDD
3. Select "Function" tab
4. Select "Advanced Feature" > "AAM/APM Control"
5. It will open a new window, select your HDD
6. Check your Advanced Power Management (APM) settings
7. It should shows a 80h value (every value over 80h is good)
8 If it shows a value inferior to 80h you have a sleepy drive, and you should check for help
9. THIS TOOL DOESN'T MODIFY YOUR APM SETTINGS, IT ONLY SHOW PERFORMANCE!
10. ???
11. Profit

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 320gb mypassport, just returned the 1tb Passport I got for Christmas due to issues with this one. Now this "IdleSleep" what happens when it activates? I previously sent mine in for not connecting to anything.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sleep mode can be disabled through the "smartware" software that came with the WD drive under the settings tab. The function is to spin down the drive when not in use. Turning it off makes them work with the Wii but it also means whenever power is going to the drive it is spinning. Could wear it out faster. Although some say spin down is what kills the drive.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The sleep mode can be disabled through the "smartware" software that came with the WD drive under the settings tab. The function is to spin down the drive when not in use. Turning it off makes them work with the Wii but it also means whenever power is going to the drive it is spinning. Could wear it out faster. Although some say spin down is what kills the drive.

No, smartware doesn't help, it just configure the drive idle example: 10min, 15min, never.
The problem with some models is they go idle almost like 3min after.
You can check this setting with CrystalDiskInfo, if your drive is 80h or more performance you're good.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sounds more like a thread for the wii tutorial section somehow ;)
Didn't know that section exist, heh, will try contact a mod.
Thanks

I have a 320gb mypassport, just returned the 1tb Passport I got for Christmas due to issues with this one. Now this "IdleSleep" what happens when it activates? I previously sent mine in for not connecting to anything.
This tool just fix the spin down setting, if your drive doesn't connect to anything it has another problem.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, smartware doesn't help, it just configure the drive idle example: 10min, 15min, never.
Isn't what the user wants? never stop the drive.

I can move this topic to Faqs and Guides section.
But I think it could be a general computer's faq, not only for Wii.
I'll move it to Wii's faq as it's more problematic with the Wii than a computer.

KingMuk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So how exactly do you run this app?

EDIT: Alright well I ran the app and it detected my WD Mypassport and it said this "Drive Update Not Applicable" below "Firmware"
So was it supposed to tell me something like "disable sleep mode"? or what???

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
So how exactly do you run this app?

EDIT: Alright well I ran the app and it detected my WD Mypassport and it said this "Drive Update Not Applicable" below "Firmware"
So was it supposed to tell me something like "disable sleep mode"? or what???

Did you check your HDD condition with CrystalDiskInfo?
If the app aplied the fix, it should appear 80h in the APM setting.

mae

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried running WDIdleDisable Tool but whenever I do so, the app crashes before it even reads the Western Digital HDD.
but when I unplug the
Western Digital HDD and start running the WDIdleDisable Too it doesn't crash.

so what should I do?? ;__;

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I tried running WDIdleDisable Tool but whenever I do so, the app crashes before it even reads the Western Digital HDD.
but when I unplug the Western Digital HDD and start running the WDIdleDisable Too it doesn't crash.

so what should I do?? ;__;

Did you check your APM setting with CrystalDiskInfo? We need check if you really need this fix.
Also, what model is your HDD?
Try connect the drive after and before run the app, maybe that way it works.
Remember this was designed for some WD HDD, not everyone is compatible though.

mae

Trophies
XP
Country
My APM setting is just fine. It's above 80 actually.
WD Elements 1023 with 1TB.
I've tried to connect the drive after and before I run the app, still had the same effect.
maybe it doesn't support the model...

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
My APM setting is just fine. It's above 80 actually.
WD Elements 1023 with 1TB.
I've tried to connect the drive after and before I run the app, still had the same effect.
maybe it doesn't support the model...

If your APM setting is above 80h then you don't need this tool, your HDD is fine.
This tool fixes APM for values below 80h.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the drive... Drives designed for data centers are often killed in less than 50 power cycles. Drives designed for home use will hopefully handle hundreds of if not 1000+ power cycles. Of course you could be unlucky and be one of the proud owners of the Seagates with the buggy firmware that would randomly corrupt the error log. Which of course prevented it from communicating over SATA so that you couldn't even update the firmware to a fixed version without some hacked serial cable and careful timing on a partially removed board and obscure commands over a terminal emulator program. Irony: Drive was working just fine - it was the damn SATA port part of the firmware!

My bigger worry about drives is stuff like dropping them, excessive vibration, water, bad luck with specific drive, power surges...

It's an old argument for letting drives run all the time or not. I have drives that have been powered up almost continiously for years and not failed. I've had others fail after rebooting. It's funny because when I went to reconnect the data and power cable, the SATA plug had broken the socket off. So I had to straighten one of the pins and then carefully reattach the cord's plug using the gaps in the (now) jammed plug. Still working but it's getting replaced!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, why the warning? Is that WDIdleDisable tool really that detrimental for MyPassport USB HDDs? That very issue you've described may be what's been screwing up Snes9xGx for me this whole time.

Dump

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so here is my issue just got a 3tb wd my book essentials I can't disable my spin down with the tool that is linked in this guide. It will not work with my drive I'm pretty sure its just for wd elements.. :(

Edit: Took back that drive cause of spin down issues now i got a 1tb wd my passport everything works fine now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night