Error Code 002-0102, Have I been banned?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by shamzie, Feb 4, 2015.

1. shamzie
    OP

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Mar 19, 2014
    Manchester
    Summary of the thread, thanks to themustardking:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/error-code-002-0102-have-i-been-banned.380654/page-54#post-5330573

What do we know? - by Cyan:
    Updated on March 13th 2015

List of banned users (gbatemp only) - by bjaxx87:
    Updated on March xxth 2015

For any new reports please use this form provided by MrJason005:
    Code:
    What flashcard were you using (Gateway or Sky3DS etc):

What game were you playing:

What was your sysNAND firmware version when playing:

What was your emuNAND firmware version when playing:

Were you using a .CIA or a .3DZ:

If you were using a .3DZ file, from what game was the header you were you using:

Header Name: e.g CTR-P-AGGE, CTR-P-BALE (these are the two I used when banned)

If you were using a .3DZ file, was the header public or private:

Can you visit other online Nintendo services such as eShop and Miiverse:

Does that ban apply to just that game or every online game you try:

Any Additional info: 
    Yet another banning FAQ - by bjaxx87:

So those bans were are real?
    Well, it's debatable. Only a very small amount of people was is banned (compared to the number of flashcard users) and most of them are able to connect online again. So you can assume it was is just an error by Nintendo and it's fixed now.

On the other hand people contacted Nintendo and were informed that it indeed was a ban. They even said it was a ban because of playing an illicit copy of a game. Furthermore only flashcard users playing ROMs with public headers were affected - so personally I believe it really was is a small ban wave. Maybe bans are just temporary as long as it's your first strike.

And it's really over now?
    No new ban report since Feb 17, 2015. Many users are able to connect again. That's all we know and Nintendo won't tell us. It's not over, new ban reports arrived!

Am I safe if...?
    We don't know. No matter if you are using public headers, private headers, CIA, personal dumps or even retail games - as long as you are using unlicensed hardware like flashcards you are never 100% safe. Even playing offline won't be a safe bet because we don't know what Nintendo is logging and what might be sent to them once you connect to the internet for a second. Of course users of Sky3DS or Gateway 3DS offline exploits could completely deactivate Wi-Fi, I think that's the only 100% fail-proof method.

But let's not be paranoid. Only users of public headers were banned and even those are able to play online again. Just use private headers, CIA and retail games.

What's a private header?
    It's a header only you own.

I don't know if my header is public...
    You can get prepatched 3DZ ROMs which already contain headers - those will be used by anyone playing those prepatched ROMs, so those are public. Some headers are published online (even on gbatemp) - of course those are all public. Gateway ROM Patcher has an option to insert a header for you - from a list of public headers. The Sky3DS standard template file writes ROMs to your SD card... and injects public headers to them. All headers you just "get somewhere" are public.

But how do I get a header that only I own?
    Gateway 3DS users have an advantage here. Just use the Gateway menu to dump your own retail game (and make sure you bought it new and won't resell it). Then use either Gateway ROM Patcher or aliak11's 3DS ROM Editor 1.1.1 to extract the header - this is yours and yours only!

You don't own a Gateway card? Well, you can use Gateway's web exploit to enter the Gateway menu - but if your firmware is 9.3 or higher, you are out of luck. In addition "New Nintendo 3DS" isn't supported by Gateway yet. Maybe you know someone who can help you here?

How do Sky3DS users inject private headers?
    Use a tool. Check out Sky Army Knife or something.

Can I use any header for any game?
    Yes. Cart size and chip IDs will get auto-fixed by ROM patchers. You can even use headers from offline games. I don't know about Sky3DS users... Maybe they still have to look for the right cart size?

Help, I'm getting error code 002-0123 and can't play online!
    You are not banned. Just check out a retail game or a CIA, you should be able to connect. 002-0123 is an old known header problem. Try different chip manufacturers when patching the ROM, it might help.

Help, I'm getting error code 002-0102 and can't play online!
    Okay, this is what we actually call a ban. Please fill MrJason005's form and report here. Currently there's no known way to fix a ban. We already know that bans are not MAC related and it's not your NNID that is banned. Most likely they ban your console ID.

The only thing you can do is contacting Nintendo's support. Claim the error occured when you wanted to play a used game and object to using flashcards when asked. Maybe they will ask you to send pictures of your 3DS game collection (front and back) - this is where it might get tricky as there are codes on the backs of retail carts. Still, it's worth a try.

Recently many users were unbanned for no reason. So it's not impossible that bans are temporary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original post:

Okay, spoke to nintendo. It's definitely a ban. I don't know how long for and what for, maybe they're starting to crackdown as I use a lot of public headers instead of my own. So beware I guess. Told I will have the full reasons within 5 days.

2. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    Introducing... Nintendo ban FIRST WAVE

3. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    Aaaand let the ban rage begin!

NoNAND likes this.
  4. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    That sucks! I really hope yours is an isolated case, but some information on what was on your system would help! All the previous ban cases were from credit card fraud and such.

Using Sky or Gateway/Clones? Downgraded? CIA's or 3DS's? Did you ever buy anything from the eShop? CFW?

Thanks!

shamzie likes this.
  5. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    So now we know what they added in 9.5
    I suggest staying on older emunand for playing online

6. Seraphiel

Seraphiel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2014
    Iceland
    Well if they will start banning people for using double or more headers then using CIAs instead should do the trick

7. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    He just said 9.5 emunand obviously he is not using sky and is using GW

8. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Try again later and I am sure everything will work fine.
    Nintendo devices come up with bullshit errors for no reason sometimes.

9. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    iirc, that error corresponds to old software. Have you downloaded the update for the game?

Edit: nvm, I read the error code wrong. I thought it read 002-0120.

10. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Thats why my plan was to go buy a used game that you can play online with, backup the card, pull headers and use that. But I'm thinking it could be that the something else, maybe the same header used for a different game. I dunno. I haven't had a need to play online or want to.

11. Makavelim4

Makavelim4 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Well I've got banned aswell, same error. I only went online once to trade a Pokemon, never went on it again. When I went to Friends List I got the error, noticed I can't play online but eShop and everything still works. Not really a big deal but gonna be a pain in the backside if I ever want to sell my 2ds.
    Btw I'm using sky3ds.

12. Kracken

Kracken GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    Are cia installs unique to other users using cia installs?

13. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    If this is a ban due to duplicate header than I should be safe I guess.
    I use a different header for each of my games. Own dumps header of course.

14. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    He said he used public headers so it might be that, because the same cart can't be physically in two 3DS at the same time.

Does Sky3DS also use the online header thing?

Even the same for every game should be okay, as you can't play two games at the same time.

15. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    You're not banned re download the update for whatever game you're playing or literally try again later

16. shamzie
    OP

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Mar 19, 2014
    Manchester
    All .3dz I hate having the home screen cluttered. I've been playing Pokemon pretty religiously lately, I upgraded to 9.5 because I was getting the error code so I don't think the two are related as it was already happening. I can also access miiverse still which is weird. But the guy said that code is a ban code, he can't see why or how long for, and he'll have to send a request off to head office or something. I have all the updates yeah, I can still access e-shop. I havnt actually done much online. Oh well, will update with more info on why when I get it.

I tried both Pokemon games smash, mario kart and mario golf, I don't think it's to do with one update?

17. StarPlatinum

StarPlatinum Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2014
    Italy
    Updating the emunand may have corrupted all the updates in general. Its worth a try.

18. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA

It's very odd that they can't tell you for how long or for what reason...that just doesn't make senses to me. In anycase let us know how tit goes.

19. Makavelim4

Makavelim4 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    I have no idea about this online header talk, I just download the roms and play em lol. And It's not online play for games only, I went onto friend list and I get the same error there.

20. Seraphiel

Seraphiel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2014
    Iceland
    I'm not sure regarding CIA files generated from other people's ticket.db but regular CIAs can be made from headerless roms and will not have any signature as far as I know therefore each CIA installed should be unique as far as the device used is. (I'm not 100% sure)