Error 12 or Just frozen on XBOX logo modded XBOX.

jimjonjimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got some more games I planned to rip the HDD in my XBOX but the thing wont boot anymore. I will either get the error 12 or it just stays on the XBOX logo. Looking it up it seems error 12 refers to DVD parameters. I'm not to certain what that is but I assume it has some sort of software that it checks to make sure the drive hasn't been tampered with. I have tried pulling everything apart and checking connections I also tried replacing the ide cable as well. Is there any other solution to this? I'd rather not have to buy another DVD drive since they are getting a bit pricey.

My console seems to be a 1.6b softmodded using the method on this site.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bad drive or connection to the board. If you have already checked the cables, only things you can do are try and get another power cable for the drive cable (custom cable, not just power, don't know if you can even get them anymore) and try that. Get another drive, or get a chip (chip bypasses drive check).

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Depending on where you live, you may be better off just getting a replacement console than a replacement drive or modchip.

edit:

Just remember that older models should have the super-cap removed/replaced.

jimjonjimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oddly enough aside from not booting I think the drive works. I had no problems with it before just now wont boot. Would using a chip to bypass it allow me to use the drive still?

Also another thing I was wondering. Would it be possible to flash the bios instead of using a mod chip? or would that not be possible in the state my XBOX is in?

Nevermind it appears my XBOX being a 1.6b will not support the TSOP method. I guess I'll have to find a new DVD drive for it or get a modchip that will bypass it. Any recommendations for a modchip?

Last edited by jimjonjimmy,

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this will sound dumb but Id go get an 80 pin IDE cable. could by going bad if you had one in there already or its just going bad in general. Do you have a SATA hdd inside? if so you have to have a 80 pin or this will happen as well.

jimjonjimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this will sound dumb but Id go get an 80 pin IDE cable. could by going bad if you had one in there already or its just going bad in general. Do you have a SATA hdd inside? if so you have to have a 80 pin or this will happen as well.
I actually just put a 80 pin IDE cable in though I'm not sure the quality of the cable since its very old. As soon as I put it in it booted up no problem. All seemed well then I turned it off pieced it together but didn't screw anything in and its back to error 12. I have a standard IDE HDD though it is not the stock HDD that came with the system. If I can find the old one I'll give that a whirl. Thinking of putting a SATA drive in there but heard about over heating issues.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just put a 80 pin IDE cable in though I'm not sure the quality of the cable since its very old. As soon as I put it in it booted up no problem. All seemed well then I turned it off pieced it together but didn't screw anything in and its back to error 12. I have a standard IDE HDD though it is not the stock HDD that came with the system. If I can find the old one I'll give that a whirl. Thinking of putting a SATA drive in there but heard about over heating issues.
I can almost bet it’s the IDE cable personally I’d buy a new one the pressure could be causing a break somewhere. Also did you fold the cables correctly to relieve pressure on the connectors? One last thing make sure you use 80 pin on sata drives not 40 the drive won’t funtion properly without it due to the converter being used. If you have to buy a new cable get a long one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...