Hacking Hardware Others Xbox Classic error 13 and 0MB on all partitions

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, we have a situation. I got Original Xbox, I bet after TSOP (I can't see modchip inside, and Xecuter2 logo appears on startup).

I want to upgrade HDD to 120GB and get rid of dvd drive. Followed tutorials and everything should be OK but it does not boot. Error 13 - dashboard not launched. Tried with XboxHDM and Slayer's Autoinstaller 2.7. Tried with locked and unlocked drive. Master or CS. Slayer installing everything, showing X2 bios and the latest Evo, formating all partitions but nothing changed. Shows 0 on all of them. Also IP shows 0.0.0.0 even with static. Installed 5960 through the Slayer but nothing works. With retail HDD everything is good. Googling and fighting with this for two days:( And no, I'm not using sata adapter. Working with ATA 120GB HDD and 80-pin tape. Tried with original 40-pin too, same results.

Any ideas?

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tahnks. I'll try, first I have to install Win8.1. FATXplorer 3.0 not running on Windows 7 (Home Premium x64) and Windows 10 can't even boot on my old PC with ATA port.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm wondering if maybe the BIOS needs updating? What dashboard is the stock HDD running?

Also, maybe try something like Rocky5?

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm wondering if maybe the BIOS needs updating? What dashboard is the stock HDD running?

Also, maybe try something like Rocky5?
On stock HDD is something like dualboot, it starts to EvolutionX but I can start Microsoft Dashboard from system settings to setup video output or manage save games.

/I gave up. With ATA HDD connected Windows 8.1 doesnt boot from SATA HDD, stuck on windows logo. When I connect ATA drive when FATXplorer is running no device detected. It's not worth of wasting another day. One day I'll with Chimp, for now I don't have molex splitter.

Last edited by Ukulele82,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's probably that the bios installed to the tsop doesn't support dvd removal. Reflash with cerbios and you should be good to remove the dvd drive once you set the correct option in the cerbios.ini file and place it in the root of C.

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's probably that the bios installed to the tsop doesn't support dvd removal. Reflash with cerbios and you should be good to remove the dvd drive once you set the correct option in the cerbios.ini file and place it in the root of C.
Thank you. I tried to upgrade HDD first, remove DVD will be the next step. I'll try again soon with sata adapter and/or molex splitter or second ATA drive if I find one to install Windows on it. My 16 years old PC can't boot windows from SATA when ATA HDD is connected. But it boots fine when ATA DVD is in 😂

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
On stock HDD is something like dualboot, it starts to EvolutionX but I can start Microsoft Dashboard from system settings to setup video output or manage save games.

/I gave up. With ATA HDD connected Windows 8.1 doesnt boot from SATA HDD, stuck on windows logo. When I connect ATA drive when FATXplorer is running no device detected. It's not worth of wasting another day. One day I'll with Chimp, for now I don't have molex splitter.

I meant the version number, I'm wondering if an outdated BIOS could be causing issues. Might be worth backing up the BIOS and updating as suggested above.

As for your PC, I'm wondering if either prior attempts to format are causing the problem or the HDD may be dying, as the latter has caused windows to hang in the past for me on boot. Might be worth disconnecting the other drives and formatting the HDD using the Windows installer USB and then do a full surface scan from the HDD makers utility.

On a side note, have you checked the clock capacitor? Older revisions are notorious for this leaking.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you. I tried to upgrade HDD first, remove DVD will be the next step. I'll try again soon with sata adapter and/or molex splitter or second ATA drive if I find one to install Windows on it. My 16 years old PC can't boot windows from SATA when ATA HDD is connected. But it boots fine when ATA DVD is in 😂
Could also be that you have your bios set to auto detect hdd's and so it's picking the first hdd it finds as the boot device. Try manually selecting the boot device in the bios if this is the case. If you locked the hdd it can also cause the pc to hang on boot since it can't unlock the hdd. If you did lock it, you will have hot plug it and unlock it once it's detected by windows.

If you do go the sata route and want a working dvd drive, I recommend using one of the startech adapters as a lot of other have proven to be unreliable. Some do work while most do not, but if you don't care about the dvd drive at all, almost any adapter should work for you.

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I managed to boot Windows with both drives (just like you said - PC wanted to boot from the first channel, SATA is the second channel), IDE and SATA. Formated it again with USB installer, next formatted it as Xbox HDD with FATXplorer and then copy-paste C backup, and E/Apps. Still error 13 and 0 on all partitions when booted from Slayer's CD.

How to update BIOS? This is my first original Xbox.

Time is set to 8097 and I don't see any leaked capacitors. It might be 1.1 revision, 01 Dec 02 on the cover and small fan on GPU.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I managed to boot Windows with both drives (just like you said - PC wanted to boot from the first channel, SATA is the second channel), IDE and SATA. Formated it again with USB installer, next formatted it as Xbox HDD with FATXplorer and then copy-paste C backup, and E/Apps. Still error 13 and 0 on all partitions when booted from Slayer's CD.

How to update BIOS? This is my first original Xbox.

Time is set to 8097 and I don't see any leaked capacitors. It might be 1.1 revision, 01 Dec 02 on the cover and small fan on GPU.
What file system option are you choosing with FATXplorer? When formatting with FATXplorer it will allow you to browse to the backups of your partitions and copy all of the files for you. You shouldn't need to copy and paste anything. To update the bios you can either boot from a cd that has the tools or have a working dashboard to do it manually.

A link to a Cerbios installer disc. Do you know what version of the xbox you have and brand of the tsop chip as the process can be slightly different if you have a sharp tsop chip. Also if it's a 1.0 or 1.1 use the 1mb version and if it's a 1.2-1.4 use the 256kb version.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12277-ogxbox-installer-cerbios-edition/#comment-61927

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tuanks a lot. BIOS backup is 1mb. I see soldering on that point. Maybe it's still unlocked to write. Sadly I can't boot the installer from DVD DL and don't have any single layer DVD blanks. And so weird I connected stock HDD to PC with hope for clonning but FATXplorer shows the disk state as Frozen. Now I can't even start the console with it, shows error 9 😅 That's crazy. I have to wait for 4.7GB blanks. Hope this help.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tuanks a lot. BIOS backup is 1mb. I see soldering on that point. Maybe it's still unlocked to write. Sadly I can't boot the installer from DVD DL and don't have any single layer DVD blanks. And so weird I connected stock HDD to PC with hope for clonning but FATXplorer shows the disk state as Frozen. Now I can't even start the console with it, shows error 9 😅 That's crazy. I have to wait for 4.7GB blanks. Hope this help.
What OS are you using?

Windows 10 in the past has given me troubles when trying to lock a SATA hard drive (same "frozen" error), so I had to use Windows 7 on a separate computer instead.

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What OS are you using?

Windows 10 in the past has given me troubles when trying to lock a SATA hard drive (same "frozen" error), so I had to use Windows 7 on a separate computer instead.
Windows 8.1. I was unable to start FATXplorer 3.0 on 7 - no errors, just no reaction after doouble click on .exe.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 8.1. I was unable to start FATXplorer 3.0 on 7 - no errors, just no reaction after doouble click on .exe.
I had the same problem on Windows 7. Unfortunately I'm not much help much since I kept installing different things and it randomly "just worked".

Maybe C++ redist, .NET Framework and service pack 2.

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I bought SATA adapter, it should arrive next week. I have spare 256GB SSD for tests, hope this will work together.

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, I have the adapter. And still getting error 13 - dashboard could not be launched.

What I did:
1. Connect sata HDD to PC, quick format in Windows

2. Started FATXplorer 3.0, format tool and go through it (option 2, larger not retail disk)

3. Browse for backup and preload HDD (C, E)

Next I connected everything to the console and try to boot. Something missed on the way?

/Edit

It's working only when DVD is disconnected. I bet it's all about missed jumper in HDD? How to reinstall dashboard without CD Autoinstaller?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have the adapter. And still getting error 13 - dashboard could not be launched.

What I did:
1. Connect sata HDD to PC, quick format in Windows

2. Started FATXplorer 3.0, format tool and go through it (option 2, larger not retail disk)

3. Browse for backup and preload HDD (C, E)

Next I connected everything to the console and try to boot. Something missed on the way?

/Edit

It's working only when DVD is disconnected. I bet it's all about missed jumper in HDD? How to reinstall dashboard without CD Autoinstaller?
What SATA adapter did you get?

And does the Xbox have a Samsung disc drive?

Ukulele82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What SATA adapter did you get?

And does the Xbox have a Samsung disc drive?
Philips VAD6011. I don't know what sata adapter I have, I think it's chineese no name with two leds and some foam at back, powered with molex. Works good with 2.5" SATA HDD but it's too laggy with SSD. EvoX from backup is running as it should. I can run UnleashX from APPS menu but I don't know how to set up as default. And it works only from the first ATA slot, that one where DVD should be connected.

I have no idea what to do next. I can install games but DVD led still blinking even if the drive is disconnected.

/Edit
Tried to unpack ISO installer and FTP it to the APPS, then run it from EvoX. UnleashX installed with no errors. DVD led is red now but I don't think it's important as I don't need optical discs anymore. Maybe I'll find something to turn off the light.

/Edit2
Something went wrong with FTP. Can't connect using FileZilla. It lists folders with random date before the name and can't go into that folders - not found :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?