1. Justerino

OP Justerino Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi all,

Awhile back I had updated my switch from SX OS to atmosphere. In fear of not knowing much about it and wanting a "stealth mode" I saw that you could temporarily wipe your systems serial as a failsafe. I had backed up the serial using incognito. I later wanted to undo the incognito mode but my serial never showed back up in device settings. Did I accidently save over it? Am im screwed?

Any input is appreciative!

2. satanicangel

satanicangel GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    If you do it in emunand, you should only go online with sysnand. If you do it in sysnand you are screwed if you do not have a backup, but dirty sysnand should never connect online anyway.

3. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    I remeber that it create a dump on your sd, but iam not sure.. If you dont have it you are fucked.. My emunand is with incógnito, and my sys is clean I van play online with out problems

4. Justerino

Newcomer

United States
    Yea, the backup I have on my SD card I attempted to use it to recover my serial but it was still blank. Im not sure if im even doing it right in incognito. Currently charging the switch to see whats up with it since I put it down since this happened.

I know its a bad idea to go online with CFW but ive gotten lucky with no bans. I don't use downloaded games, only physically owned ones if that matters. I only wanted to be extra safe and it looks like I goofd. Glad I have a backup switch :sweats:

Last edited by Justerino, Feb 4, 2021
  5. satanicangel

Malaysia
    maybe you enabled atmosphere blank serial function? There is one in atmosphere which works similarly to what incognito does. Just try to boot up the original fw without any cfw and see if your serial is there.

6. MaxiBus

MaxiBus GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/blob/master/config_templates/exosphere.ini

If this file exists, take a look at it.
    I recommend this method over incognito.nro
    And for the future: use CFW only on EmuMMC/EmuNand, thats the safest way in my opinion

7. Justerino

Newcomer

United States
    Serial is not there on OFW :( am i screwed? What do I even do with this extra switch xD

EDIT: I restored the serial one more time to ofw or w.e and it appeared again. Not sure why exactly lol gonna tinker around some more. Is there anything I could try going forward since the OFW serial is back again?

Last edited by Justerino, Feb 4, 2021
  8. satanicangel

Malaysia
    Well maybe not, but try not messing around with sysnand. Even if you don’t get yourself banned, a lot more things might go wrong with sysnand.

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Just use 90DNS instead. Its easier to enable/disable, its safer to utilize, and is backed by the Switch hacking community.

10. Superkidxl2099

Newcomer

United States
    That’s good but I think I’m just straight up screwed, I tried restoring my back up several times with no luck of restoring my serial number

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Next time, don't use tools like Incognito and use 90DNS instead.

Maupiti likes this.
  12. Homlet

Homlet GBAtemp Fan

France
    more like use AMS's prodinfo blanking

Maupiti and The Real Jdbye like this.
  13. Maupiti

Maupiti GBAtemp Fan

France
    Reminded me some latest posts in noob paradise subforum

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Better to use Atmosphere's temporary incognito (in conjunction with 90DNS is even better)
    With 90DNS there's always the chance of forgetting to set the custom DNS when setting up a connection, also if new domains are added they won't be blocked initially, Incognito is more foolproof.

Maupiti likes this.
  15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    90DNS has been out for way longer than 90DNS so I do not understand the belief that Nintendo would add new domains. And Incognito is not foolproof either because it doesn't wipe out everything that Nintendo can track. Plus since we have evidence that people have lost their backup as opposed to forgetting to setup 90DNS on a new connection, that is even less evidence of how "foolproof" Incognito is. But I will concede that it is better to use exosphere than Incognito since it doesn't make any permanent changes to the system.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Feb 26, 2021
  16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    As far as we know it wipes out everything Nintendo *currently* tracks though that may change in the future. Same deal as with 90DNS, it blocks all the domains it *currently* connects to which may also change in the future. But that's why it's a good idea to use both ;)

That's why I only suggest exosphere now.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 26, 2021
  17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I would argue its unnecessary to use both but I guess technically there is no harm in using it outside of reinforcing paranoia.

18. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Man, I wish my ban was just in my head. "Paranoia"... No

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    When you butt into a conversation that doesn't involve you with a response that is so vague, how else can I interpret it but as rude?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Erased, Serial, longer