Epic Mickey first looks

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed no one posted anything regarding Epic Mickey crap, so I might as well.

QUOTE said:
Mickey Mouse might be one of the world's most recognisable icons but, these days, he's more corporate figurehead than lovable rogue. Putting the personality back into Disney's most beloved mascot has been top of the company's To-Do list in recent years and, it transpires, the reason we finally found ourselves in an East London warehouse for the grand unveiling of the hugely ambitious Epic Mickey.

When you've got such grand designs, you need some serious talent to turn your vision into reality. Enter Warren Spector, the man behind classic games like Thief and Deus Ex, and the team at Junction Point Studios. As self-proclaimed animation obsessive Spector admits, the chance to delve through Disney's enormous archive was almost reason enough to accept the challenge, and that's exactly where Junction Point turned for its initial inspiration. It quickly became clear that Mickey's early years were also his finest moments with the mouse a cantankerous mischief maker, rather than the soulless corporate mascot he is today.

Source (screenies inside)

Too lazy to throw on the screenies (feel free to post them), so they're in the source. Anyway, apparently it's a platformer/ARPG (which I didn't know, lol) and is set for release soon (IGN says Q3 2009, but I doubt it). Outside of Mickey Mouse looking like possibly the most demented video gaming character ever, this looks very good.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Q3 2009 is IGN default date for when they don't have one.
The game was officially announced for Fall 2010.

The game concept is brilliant IMO, and the ideas are all great. Visuals are a little flat, but they still have a year to fix that..

Still waiting to see the game in movement.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
It's funny as this game was originally made for the PS3 and 360 but then decided to put it on the Wii. =/

Well, Mickey is a cartoon that relates to kids, and most marketers see the Wii as their gaming outlet to kids (although Epic Mickey looks to be sorta a Kingdom Hearts type of game). Also, I could definitely see some Okami-esque paintbrush stuff in here, and what better to draw with than a Wiimote?

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
...and what better to draw with than a Wiimote?

Umm, a pencil?
rolleyes.gif

Nah, but this game looks like just another Disney $#*!ware game to me...

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Don't judge the game by the screens. It's an early version. They haven't implemented proper lighting yet, and that really does a lot for overall look and atmosphere. They can improve lots of other things too.. Remember, it isn't coming out this year.. It's still in development.

The game mechanics sound interesting, and it might become a pretty good game. Let's just wait and see.

Taik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Before anyone says "Nothing like the concept art ololol!!11!!!1!!"

The developper (forgot his name) said the leaked concept art were his "limits" so he knows where to stop.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
Guild McCommunist said:
...and what better to draw with than a Wiimote?

Umm, a pencil?
rolleyes.gif

Nah, but this game looks like just another Disney $#*!ware game to me...

Most Disney quote on quote "shitware" games were movie games, and even then some of those weren't bad. Aladdin got pretty good reception, as did the Jungle Book and Tron. They also published all the Kingdom Hearts games, Pure, and Spectrobes. Some people also thought the DS version of Where the Wild Things Are was pretty good.

Anyway, this isn't developed by Disney, it's developed by Junction Point, which did Deus Ex.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
mmmh, the developers weren't able to adapt th charme of the artworks to the screen, the first shown pictures of the game were very fascinatin because they showed an other style as the other released disney games, but now as the first screenshots are released the graphics seems to be very similar to the others. though its' no argument that the final game couldn't be good. i'm looking forward to the release and hope that i won't be disappointed
yay.gif

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The concept art its crazy awesome. I imagen it'll be hard for them to capture it all.
Though from these new screens it seems they are trying.
The shading on the character models seems to be a little better and has a nice dark tone.
The scenery looks a bit too flat though and needs some 3D pieces, rocks stones etc to give the terrian a less clean look.
I also think they need to apply a special effect to give a grainy film look over the 3D models and maybe a grainy overlay.
Something like the Bloom effect, but more black and less brown.

Ya, I really think a game like this would just look better with a more classic black and white look, or atleast more washed out early "Technicolor" style colors.
Give it a real nostalgia look.
Right now its a bit too colorfull, especially compared to the insanely awesome concept art.

They have a year though so I'll be patient.
I'm pretty sure the game should at least be decent so can't wait to try it and see what they came up with.
At the very least it'll be nice game world to explore around for a bit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night