Epic Mickey first looks

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Oct 30, 2009.

Oct 30, 2009
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Noticed no one posted anything regarding Epic Mickey crap, so I might as well.

Source (screenies inside)

Too lazy to throw on the screenies (feel free to post them), so they're in the source. Anyway, apparently it's a platformer/ARPG (which I didn't know, lol) and is set for release soon (IGN says Q3 2009, but I doubt it). Outside of Mickey Mouse looking like possibly the most demented video gaming character ever, this looks very good.

2. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Q3 2009 is IGN default date for when they don't have one.
    The game was officially announced for Fall 2010.

The game concept is brilliant IMO, and the ideas are all great. Visuals are a little flat, but they still have a year to fix that..

Still waiting to see the game in movement.

3. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    It's funny as this game was originally made for the PS3 and 360 but then decided to put it on the Wii. =/

4. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Well, Mickey is a cartoon that relates to kids, and most marketers see the Wii as their gaming outlet to kids (although Epic Mickey looks to be sorta a Kingdom Hearts type of game). Also, I could definitely see some Okami-esque paintbrush stuff in here, and what better to draw with than a Wiimote?

5. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Umm, a pencil? [​IMG]
    Nah, but this game looks like just another Disney $#*!ware game to me...

6. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    Don't judge the game by the screens. It's an early version. They haven't implemented proper lighting yet, and that really does a lot for overall look and atmosphere. They can improve lots of other things too.. Remember, it isn't coming out this year.. It's still in development.

The game mechanics sound interesting, and it might become a pretty good game. Let's just wait and see.

7. Taik

Member Taik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Before anyone says "Nothing like the concept art ololol!!11!!!1!!"

The developper (forgot his name) said the leaked concept art were his "limits" so he knows where to stop.

8. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Most Disney quote on quote "shitware" games were movie games, and even then some of those weren't bad. Aladdin got pretty good reception, as did the Jungle Book and Tron. They also published all the Kingdom Hearts games, Pure, and Spectrobes. Some people also thought the DS version of Where the Wild Things Are was pretty good.

Anyway, this isn't developed by Disney, it's developed by Junction Point, which did Deus Ex.

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    [​IMG]

Scary [​IMG]

I loved the design of the first sketch (this one). I wonder why didn't they keep that [​IMG]

10. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    mmmh, the developers weren't able to adapt th charme of the artworks to the screen, the first shown pictures of the game were very fascinatin because they showed an other style as the other released disney games, but now as the first screenshots are released the graphics seems to be very similar to the others. though its' no argument that the final game couldn't be good. i'm looking forward to the release and hope that i won't be disappointed [​IMG]

11. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think it looks like shit compared to its art style and atmosphere. Hopefully it turns around.

12. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    The concept art its crazy awesome. I imagen it'll be hard for them to capture it all.
    Though from these new screens it seems they are trying.
    The shading on the character models seems to be a little better and has a nice dark tone.
    The scenery looks a bit too flat though and needs some 3D pieces, rocks stones etc to give the terrian a less clean look.
    I also think they need to apply a special effect to give a grainy film look over the 3D models and maybe a grainy overlay.
    Something like the Bloom effect, but more black and less brown.

Ya, I really think a game like this would just look better with a more classic black and white look, or atleast more washed out early "Technicolor" style colors.
    Give it a real nostalgia look.
    Right now its a bit too colorfull, especially compared to the insanely awesome concept art.

They have a year though so I'll be patient.
    I'm pretty sure the game should at least be decent so can't wait to try it and see what they came up with.
    At the very least it'll be nice game world to explore around for a bit.

13. stab244

Member stab244 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think ARPG is Action-RPG. Looks interesting... At first people thought it was KH3.

14. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Heh, this would be a perfect release for Halloween next year. Don't you all agree? Need to see a video of it though...

15. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    mickey is getting more famous in the recent days if KH was not enuf... very colorful by the way