Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the world will obviously end by the effect of super aidso.O,
no seriously would be happy if the world would end off by natural cause, but think rather that before something like that happen humanrace will take their end in their own hand :-/

Kalisiin

Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
Well the Mayan calendar ends on Dec. 21, 2012, and who are we to call them liars?
Remember, in the 16th century, I believe, eleven days were added to the calendar, because it was only then that they went and realized about leap dyas or some happy-crappy like that, so, already, that date is even wrong...it would make it thus Dec 10 then.

I think it's all full of shit. Then again, I think religion is full of shit. Just a way for some people who think they are better than everyone else to try to practice control over the masses...BE GOOD, DO WHAT I SAY, BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE OR ELSE!!"

Greatest fairy-tale in the world if you ask me...and whoever sold the con-job of the Immaculate Conception had to be the best bullshit artist the world ever saw to have carried that one off!

I don't know if it's funny or sad that otherwise intelligent people, who ought to know something about science and biology...actually believe that bullcrap. I mean, LITERALLY.

The Bible was supposed to be taken metaphorically, and the parables and stories are supposed to be a lesson on how we ought to live and treat one another (universal, unconditional love, help your fellow man, etc...) but I find it either sad or funny that otherwise intelligent people actiually take that shit literally...and literally believe that Jesus was born of Divine (Immaculate Conception) or that women really WERE made out of a rib of Adam.

Gimme a fuckin' break....

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Well in case anyone missed the sarcasm of my first post lets just see what this "prediction" is based on. The Sun has an activity cycle, of around eleven years. At the end of that cycle it undergoes a very active period which produces many sunspots and solar flares. Now this is a well known and regular occurrence, its nothing really unusual, and as it occurs every decade or so it has been studied many times by modern science. There is no real indication that this time round the active cycle will be any worse then previous cycles that have been witnessed. However it does fall roughly around the time of the end Mayan calendar. So in the usual trend these days of scaremongering the public, and getting publicity, an arbitrary date that falls smack bang on the day of the end of the calendar is banded around, with end of the world predictions added as a cherry on top.

So yeah I wouldn't worry really.
P1ngpong makes these things seem less scary to me. I would always be freaked about the end of the world, but whenever I read his explanations, I am not scared anymore
happy.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
p1ngpong said:
Well in case anyone missed the sarcasm of my first post lets just see what this "prediction" is based on. The Sun has an activity cycle, of around eleven years. At the end of that cycle it undergoes a very active period which produces many sunspots and solar flares. Now this is a well known and regular occurrence, its nothing really unusual, and as it occurs every decade or so it has been studied many times by modern science. There is no real indication that this time round the active cycle will be any worse then previous cycles that have been witnessed. However it does fall roughly around the time of the end Mayan calendar. So in the usual trend these days of scaremongering the public, and getting publicity, an arbitrary date that falls smack bang on the day of the end of the calendar is banded around, with end of the world predictions added as a cherry on top.

So yeah I wouldn't worry really.
P1ngpong makes these things seem less scary to me. I would always be freaked about the end of the world, but whenever I read his explanations, I am not scared anymore
happy.gif

Imagine p1ngpong as a father!

Kid: Dad, I think there's a monster under my bed!

p1ngy: Well, pingp0ng, the whole "monster under your bed" thing is really just a collection of a fear of the dark in a fake, physical manifestation. So you see, there isn't in fact a "monster" under your bed, you just fear the dark. Kids would normally turn on a night light, flashlight, other light-producing objects, etc, to "scare" this "monster" but really it just gets the dark away and thusly defeats the monster. So, son, really you should realize that you're infact just afraid of the lack of natural lighting, something that's very silly.

Kid: ...Can I have some water?

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes, I just feel aliens viewing our world are gonna be laughing their asses off at 2012 when the world erupts into panic and the new era of fail will begin.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Kalisiin said:
Remember, in the 16th century, I believe, eleven days were added to the calendar, because it was only then that they went and realized about leap dyas or some happy-crappy like that, so, already, that date is even wrong...it would make it thus Dec 10 then.

Um... I really doubt that.

What we actually DO KNOW about their calendar, is that it loops every 5125 [modern]years. Meaning, that 2012 is not the end of the world, but is actually closer to what we call a new millennium. There is nothing special about it.

QUOTEThe Tzolkin is a 260-day calendar based around the period of human gestation. It is composed of 20 day-signs, each of which has 13 variations, and was (and still is) used to determine character traits and time harmonics, in a similar way to Western astrology. The Maya also used a 365-day calendar called the Haab, and a Venus calendar, plus others. They measured long time periods by means of a Long Count, in which one 360-day year (a "Tun"), consists of 18 x 20-day "months" ("Uinals"). Twenty of these Tuns is a Katun; 20 Katuns is a Baktun (nearly 400 years); and 13 Baktuns adds up to a "Great Cycle" of 1,872,000 days, ( 5200 Tuns, or about 5125 years).

Mayan scholars have been attempting to correlate the Long Count with our Western Gregorian calendar, since the beginning of this century. There has been massive variation in the suggested correlations, but as early as 1905, Goodman suggested a correlation only 3 days from the most popular one today. Known as the GMT correlation, or "correlation # 584283", this was finalized in 1950, and puts the start of the Great Cycle ( day 0.0.0.0.0) on 11th August 3114 BC, and the end-date (known as 13.0.0.0.0.) as 21st December 2012.

Jose Arguelles has pointed out that the Tzolkin is a harmonic of the Great Cycle, and can be used to map history, as if it is measuring not individual gestation but species gestation, since 5 Great Cycles add to exactly 26,000 Tuns; the "Grand Year" or precession of the equinoxes - a higher harmonic of 260.

NOTE: The astronomer Philip Plait has stated very clearly that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012 at all, that it is like the odometer on your car, as each section of the odometer reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer - the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Wasn't the world supposed to end in 2000, oh yeah, 060606, my mistake 070707, oh noes! 080808, wat? nothing happened 090909 and 2012; it's really going to end this time!

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Burnedmagix said:
Hey, I heard that the world was gonna end at 10/26/09

lol! Tomorrow. Hide, evacuate the land! Go to the Himilayas! Oh wait, that's going to crash into the ocean! OH NOES!

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
urgh do i have to explain again that the retarded (no offence guys) mayans forogot to draw up a fucking calender past 2012! Its like people going "Dur dur no calender date past today" "holy fuck we"re all deadz!"

mmk im done

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AnthonyizGodly said:
Uh lets just wait and see and a movie was based upon these prophecies.
*Fix'd*
Anyway I doubt the world would end just because some nub predicts solar flares. It's like the weather report.
And on the plus side, if it does, that would be one hell of a show.
(By end don't you mean all life would die?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰