Emunand worth it?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by spookyboogie, Jan 13, 2015.

1. spookyboogie
    OP

spookyboogie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Im at sysnand 9.2 and I've got a gateway. I'm pretty happy with just running games of the cart, but i'm wondering if I am really missing out with emunand? I think the big thing is I'm a little worried about something going wrong with emunand. I've got kind of a "if its not broken dont fix it" mentality with this but wanna know if its worth doing?

2. TheDutchman

TheDutchman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    absolutely worth it.
    With Emunand you can have (custom) "paid" themes, and you can install game DLC / updates without using eShop
    you can also backup the emuNAND just in case.

Got my gateway today and got everything set up, just installed some games as .CIA works perfectly

just word of warning if you want to set up emunand backup your SD files first since that will format the card/
    follow the guide over at maxconsole and you will be fine

3. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    Emunand is needed so that you can STILL use the gateway card while on the latest firmware. The latest version is needed in order to get to the eshop and to play online.

4. FearItSelf23

FearItSelf23 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    United States
    The latest FW is not needed to play games online. I play smash bros online all the time on 9.2. You just have to enable wireless after launching the game.

5. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    You still need to be on the latest firmware to fetch the needed game-related updates to be able to play online (I guess you can install the updates from dev-menu but you will eventually need a newer firmware as future games will require it)

6. spookyboogie
    OP

spookyboogie Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Ok I'm convinced, I'll be brave and give it a shot tonight.

7. iwasaperson

iwasaperson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2013
    United States
    Nothing to be brave about. It is completely safe, since it doesn't touch your SysNAND. Just make sure you back up your SD card (big) first.

8. tintin.92

tintin.92 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    United States
    Could you link to the guide?

9. Neath

Neath Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    How can I install .CIA files? DevMenu or the blue launcher? Is there a .cia guide?? So confused about it

10. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    If you know how GW works than you should know why you need emunand.

11. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    sonyUSA made a most excellent guide on the "other " forum. We can't link to it here.

Read the faq at the top of this sub and check out the tutorials in the tutorials section above this sub.

There are cia guides here and I the tutorials section. You will need to google for the dev tools and bigbluemenu as we can't link to them from here.

If you are new to all this I suggest waiting on cia installations until you are up to speed.

12. TheDutchman

TheDutchman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    also read up on backing up your emuNAND before you install any cia

thorasgar likes this.
  13. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    Technically, it does touch the sysNAND since it's copying it over to the big SD card in a separate partition, but that's what I think.