emuNAND Bricked - Can I save any of it?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DarkFlare69, Aug 19, 2016.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    My GW emuNAND bricked. I attempted to install the original home menu, straight from 3DNUS, over my custom one (because I needed some of the default keyboard symbols that are replaced in the custom one) and FBI gave me an error saying "Desc: Already exists (1020)" before even attempting to install the CIA. I turned off my 3DS, copied a few files to and from my SD Card, and put it back in, and it froze on booting the emunand (black screen; a9lh). I tried to launch it with the browser from my sysnand and it failed too. My SD card is fine, there's no filesystem errors or anything, and I always press "Eject" before removing my sd card from my computer. I don't know why attempting to install a valid CIA would cause a brick, but it did...

My question: is there a way to save my friend list from this emuNAND and put it into a new one? Or, is there a way to unbrick this emunand? I have A9LH + Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin file.

Last edited by DarkFlare69, Aug 19, 2016
  2. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    dude you dont have any backup before doing that?

3. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    from a while ago, but i didnt think installing a cia from nintendo would brick it. on top of that fbi didn't even attempt to install the cia before giving me an error.

4. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    In the Home Menu editing thread, it states that if you ever get an error while installing a home menu, you will get a brick if you turn the system off.

So don't do that. You may be out of luck. For future reference, always make a backup of your HOME Menu while using GodMode9.

5. LinkSoraZelda

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Also, you can try using GodMode9 to copy the friendsave.bin and inject it to a new emuNAND. Though, you'll have to look for its location yourself.

6. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
    As said you can use GodMode9, saying you can use it to copy any other data from Nand too, you can also can use Decrypt9 to dump somes things.

7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yes, make a back up of the corrupt emunand.
    generate xorpads (which are per CONSOLE) - and then extract what you want :)

8. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
    @cearp It will be just easier to dump movable.sed, as long the backup is from the same console it don"t brick, if is for other consoel is needed to fix it before or it"ll brick. And then copy the data from Nand with GodMode9 in the properly way manually, but it"ll be more complex to do.

Last edited by Clector, Aug 20, 2016
  9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah but it's just emunand, and since the 3ds has a9lh you can just use a decrypt9 payload, no need to use another 3ds or anything.

10. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    I restored an old backup and I will just re-add people. Do u have any advice on how to install the original keyboard over this custom one without getting an error again?

11. LinkSoraZelda

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    I uninstalled yours just fine by installing the new one with my .cia installer. (I still use it, but I needs my regular symbols)
    Make sure your FBI is up to date since the old one couldn't install apps to NAND (2.0 to the third latest, it's been fixed since then), and also make sure you re-encrypted your keyboard .cia before you install it.

Again, if you EVER get an error installing a critical system app, N E V E R turn the system off.

12. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    I tried that, I was using FBI 2.4.2, and I tried to install the default keyboard from 3DNUS over my custom one and that's where I got the error saying program already exists... Idk why I can't install it, but it seems to work for you

13. .:Vicious:.

.:Vicious:. Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2008
    Brazil
    Sorry, wrong thread and I just notice now :glare:

Last edited by .:Vicious:., Aug 22, 2016