Homebrew Emulators VS Virtual Console?

Mestizo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lately, I've been getting a bit bored with the emulators (Except VBA GX, except it's constantly crashing now). Other than the advantages to having the emulators (save states, cheats, bigger library), are there any advantages to having the VC versions? I know with the VC games, I've been having problems, such as:

Super Mario 64: First download was corrupt, and Mario looked goth. Crashed when a star appeared, otherwise I would've kept it.
Freezes on game over screen

Zombie Panic in Wonderland: Crashes whenever 2nd player uses a continue

Mario Tennis: Easiest championship, and the CPU can hit the ball ANYWHERE

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only advantage that comes to mind is that the emu included for each vc release is fine tuned for said game. only vc games i tend to bother with are the n64 ones as wii64 still needs a bit of fine tuning but the mario 64 issue you are having i think i would try to remedy by installing it again if you got it from the wii shop or find another wad. as for mario tennis i do agree the championship on it starts off easy but can be a bastard towards the end, then again im not sure if it was like that on the n64 as i never played it on there

Mestizo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, SM64 and Zombie Panic are on the SD card. I use a 4GB SDHC for both homebrew and spare VC/WW storage, and they are official channels of VC/WW. Maybe that has a factor in the freezing?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The SD card may well be the problem there, as you're saying Mario Tennis works fine aside from the gameplay issue (which I think it is, as I do remember the N64 game being frustratingly rough at times)
The Wii simply does not like certain SD cards, and from personal experience I had a 4GB SDHC from PNY that would just about work on VC/WW but anything HBC related forget it..... seems to be a memory accessing problem (though I'm no expert!) Anyroad, chucked the 4GB, picked up a 16GB, and everything works a treat!
4GB SDHC cards do seem to cause the biggest problems, so 'upgrade' to a larger one if you can.

As for the question, clarky hit the nail on the head! N64 only (possibly certain Neo Geo titles too) as Wii64, whilst great, isn't quite great enough yet... but maybe a couple of releases down the line who knows?? Certainly, given the source material, the guys that have created Wii64 have done a fantastic job up to now though!!

Mestizo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd like to see Wii64 fully functional any time soon. I want to play Castlevania 64, Banjo-Kazooie, or Donkey Kong 64 soon, and Nintendo doesn't seem like they're going to release the latter 2, and Konami shuns ALL of their 3D Castlevanias.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo