CaptainKoloth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all:

I've gotten big into audio lately. It's not perhaps commonly known but the SNES and N64 actually both did surround via various forms of Dolby Surround, meaning they matrixed the surround sound into a stereo signal that could be decoded by a proper receiver.

Does anyone know if any of the Wii emulators (interested in Not64 and SNES9X GX in particular, but the question is general) accurately reproduce the stereo signal such that, if the Wii is connected to a receiver, the surround information can be recovered? This is a pretty technical question and I'm not actually expecting to get the answer (somehow when I've asked this in the past it devolves into a discussion of whether Dolby is "true" surround, which is not what I'm asking) but i thought I'd give it a shot! Unfortunately there are to my knowledge no surround test modes with games from those generations so it's not something one can easily check even if you have all the appropriate audio equipment.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Indeed a very specific question. But an interesting one, that is sure.

No idea about SNES games – means: I don't think I have any games with surround sound.

A quick test with Wii 64 (NOT64 isn't on my SD for quick testing) showed inconsistent results.
A lot of the later N64 Rare titles have Dolby Surround so I loaded up Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie.

With DK64 the result was not quite good. One of the tutorial mini games (four bonus barrels right at the beginning of the game) let's you throw some barrels wherever you want. I'm pretty sure the smashing sound when a barrel breaks is supposed to come from the rear speakers if thrown behind the camera (direction like "out of the TV"). It didn't work. Needs verification with actual N64. And some more testing.
Banjo on the other side seemed to work. In the first area is a small lake around "Spiral Mountain" and at one point is a loud waterfall. Swimming next to the waterfall and turning the camera full circle made the sound come from left → center → right→ rear → left. (rear part not perfect though)

Whether Dolby Surround or Pro Logic (II) can be considered "true" surround isn't very interesting for me. I always enjoyed it - especially Pro Logic II games on GameCube can sound really good (Star Wars Rogue Leader is nice (and opposed to the N64 titles has a test where a Tie Fighter flies around and can be heard). True surround or not: I wish it was still an option on the Wii U so I could get some kind of surround with my old non-HDMI Dolby receiver (from year 1999).

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: newo

gZa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the emulators are outputting a stereo signal (and no reason why they wouldn't) then your equipment (if it has a Dolby Pro Logic processor) would take the stereo signal from that and produce the desired effect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!