Hacking emulating gateway?!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
(woa migles is asking a gateway question, wth migles, you don't belong here)

i am aware about you can install gateway without a gateway, but lots of functions in order to work you need a gateway to function...

and i was wondering, can't you create a rom of a gateway and put it on sky3ds to launch functions that require a gateway?

i am not sure if emunand\gateway mode (or whatever it is) requires gateway hardware or is as simple as checking if gateway is inserted...

so can anyone give me details on why we can't use a sky3ds to fake a gateway and use gateway stuff without a gateway?

Reactions: Margen67

satanicangel

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
(woa migles is asking a gateway question, wth migles, you don't belong here)

i am aware about you can install gateway without a gateway, but lots of functions in order to work you need a gateway to function...

and i was wondering, can't you create a rom of a gateway and put it on sky3ds to launch functions that require a gateway?

i am not sure if emunand\gateway mode (or whatever it is) requires gateway hardware or is as simple as checking if gateway is inserted...

so can anyone give me details on why we can't use a sky3ds to fake a gateway and use gateway stuff without a gateway?

Gateway card is a flashcart, it is not a 3ds game. So tell me how can sky3ds fake a non-3ds game? It can't even run a cia.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i am not telling it can work propertly, or it can run cias or games, it wouldn't do almost anything...

i am not sure how enabling emunnand or other modes work, but i mean, if gateway just checks if gateway is inserted (to release a flag and enable other modes), you could fake that? tricking the software that gateway is inserted and you could do SOME of the stuff that requires a gateway..

but Margen67
just answered that it can't run unsigned roms so it was pretty much answered...

Reactions: Margen67 and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone been able to make a 1:1 dump of a gateway? This could lead us to developing a truly software-only rom loader, with Gateway team doing 90% of the heavy lifting.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
ummmm it's not just the software bit of the Gateway that makes it special ... it's also the hardware ... so even if you did dump it , it would be useless ...
Flashcarts are not gamecarts ...

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys do realize that all the magic GW does is in their coding and the Red card is just an upgradeable FPGA for future use, right? :gba:

I was actually wondering what the communication to/from the gateway card actually looked like, but I don't have the hardware/motivation to actually look.

koziakauzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

if gateway just checks if gateway is inserted (to release a flag and enable other modes), you could fake that? tricking the software that gateway is inserted and you could do SOME of the stuff that requires a gateway..

This is what we need. Switching between 2-3 cards for launching emunand/region free (classic) mode is ridiculous.

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what we need. Switching between 2-3 cards for launching emunand/region free (classic) mode is ridiculous.

Well, You'd have to decrypt(all stages) of their launcher.dat, scour the code to figure out how and where it checks to see if a gateway card is inserted, and then modify the code to always return true... But, in the past this risked triggering hidden bricking code, so unless gateway removed the brick code, or you can figure out how the brick code works and disable it, you're basically at where most people are now, which is starting from scratch and NOT using modified versions of gateway's launcher.dat

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The day someone will crack the gateway launcher is the day gateway will stop updating it. Do you really want to loose the only working and reliable solution to get a fully open 3DS?
I don't honestly.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's just so ridiculous man. GW provides a solution for the N3DS which is not even 6 MONTHS OLD and switching cards is just too much work. Please provide your own solution then if it's that big of a problem.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Obviously, But can anyone confirm that gateway doesn't have brick code in place in case someone attempts that?
well, if you can edit the gateway check out, you can also edit the brick code out:P

I don't know if the brick code is still there, i ASSUME it is.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually wondering what the communication to/from the gateway card actually looked like, but I don't have the hardware/motivation to actually look.

The whole reason for "gateway mode" and "classic mode" to both exist is because in gateway mode the cart slot is accessed differently to talk to the fpga in the red cart. This is why you need to go in to a different software mode ("classic mode") to read a retail cart.
For lack of knowing the ACTUAL things going on, one could say the gateway team wrote their own cart slot driver for the red card to be fully utilized and that driver has to be switched back to stock to read a game cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun