Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Emotiv Insight is a 5-channel EEG headset currently in development, having recently successfully funded it's Kickstarter by over 1000 percent. Essentially, it's a wearable device that translates the electrical signals of your brain into usable data. This allows the device to be used to either passively monitor one's brain activity or to use one's brain activity to interface with a computer.

ZRtV9Wgl.jpg

It's not advertised primarily for gaming, although gaming was mentioned as an use on their website. However, what do you think will be the usefulness of this device in a purely gaming usage?

A similar, but less advanced EEG headset came out serveral years ago, called the OCZ NIA. NIA was more focus on gaming, but never really took off. Will this device, being a more accurate system, still end up the same or might things be different?

The SDK will be compatible with Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, and iOS. Therefore, there's not going to be anything standing in the way if developers actually decide to support this device. Keep in mind that this device will probably sell relatively well regardless as it is advertised to have uses outside of gaming.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
However, what do you think will be the usefulness of this device in a purely gaming usage?
No way to tell until we see a more detailed demonstration. As far as controlling goes the clips only show people managing to activate one function at a time. Maybe this will improve with further software development and signal analysis but I doubt the device gathers enough data to translate into effective gaming controls, only general biometrics.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a generic interface device that uses something like this one does would be great for disabled gamers. I'd back anything like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker