Emotiv Insight Neuroheadset for Gaming

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kirito-kun, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    The Emotiv Insight is a 5-channel EEG headset currently in development, having recently successfully funded it's Kickstarter by over 1000 percent. Essentially, it's a wearable device that translates the electrical signals of your brain into usable data. This allows the device to be used to either passively monitor one's brain activity or to use one's brain activity to interface with a computer.

[​IMG]

It's not advertised primarily for gaming, although gaming was mentioned as an use on their website. However, what do you think will be the usefulness of this device in a purely gaming usage?

A similar, but less advanced EEG headset came out serveral years ago, called the OCZ NIA. NIA was more focus on gaming, but never really took off. Will this device, being a more accurate system, still end up the same or might things be different?

The SDK will be compatible with Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, and iOS. Therefore, there's not going to be anything standing in the way if developers actually decide to support this device. Keep in mind that this device will probably sell relatively well regardless as it is advertised to have uses outside of gaming.

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    No way to tell until we see a more detailed demonstration. As far as controlling goes the clips only show people managing to activate one function at a time. Maybe this will improve with further software development and signal analysis but I doubt the device gathers enough data to translate into effective gaming controls, only general biometrics.

3. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I think a generic interface device that uses something like this one does would be great for disabled gamers. I'd back anything like that.