Elden Ring tops Steam charts for concurrent players, user reviews drops to "mixed" after PC issues

d,lada.png

Elden Ring is the hottest new game release in quite some time, becoming one of the most critically acclaimed games in recent history. You can see how successful the game is, going by the Steam peak players chart, where it shows Elden Ring having peaked today with a massive amount of 764,835 concurrent players just on PC. By comparison, previous From Software games like Dark Souls III and Sekiro have an all-time peak of 129,831 and 124,334 players respectively.

However, despite the critical reception, Elden Ring has sharply dropped from overwhelmingly positive user feedback to mixed, as of the time of writing. This is due to the PC port of the game having issues, frustrating players on the platform. Some posted reviews stating that while they have a powerful gaming PC, the game still stutters and can't hit a solid 60fps. There's a number of workarounds that users have found, including adding EldenRing.exe to high performance in Windows, or disabling the Steam Overlay. Digital Foundry noticed consistent stuttering in the game when in the open world area, and that variable refresh rate monitors help to make the gameplay a little smoother, but don't fully fix the problems.

While our own time with the game has been limited thus far, the stuttering bug is apparent in our review copy on Steam as well. Though Elden Ring is running on a 2080 Super and 3700X CPU, the game will drop down to 57 frames per second on a timely basis. Bandai Namco has not made any statements regarding the PC port's quality as of yet, or whether or not there will be a performance patch.

Update: Bandai Namco has addressed the problems and will be releasing a patch.

:arrow: Source

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact an RTX 3090 has issues with a so-called AAA game doesn't exactly instil confidence.
Yeah the game is bugged. I was watching a streamer play this game, and he has all bleeding edge hardware-- I'm talking 5950x, 3090, PCIE 4.0 SSD, dedicated pc for streaming (so theres zero bottleneck on the gaming pc) and still was experiencing drops and stutters right outside of the plataeu. I don't have as good a PC as him, I'm just a couple steps under his and same problems. Namely, the horse boss right at spawn introduced a lot of lag that made fighting him and I near impossible.

Last edited by JonJaded,

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games on Steam have demos now, but this one should have it. I sure as hell won't spend 60 bucks on a game unless I know I'll like it. Yes I could refund it, but that's a dick move on my part.
What's even funnier is that this game did have a demo but only on consoles. Likely because in their head, they wanted to prevent as much data mining as possible. But guess what, they released the game requiring FW 9.00 on PS4, a fw that had been BTFO by the homebrew community, and of course in a couple of days the datamines came regardless.

I assume they also wanted to hide the shoddy performance as well. I knew the PC release would be shit because they waited for the week before to finally release minimum requirements. Regardless though, we're getting into the age of "release it broken now, patch and fix later" for a lot of studios. Truly getting tired of it. This isn't only a problem on PC.

sroemr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this rate, if devs like fromsoftware don't optimize their games to ACTUALLY RUN AND LOOK GOOD on a 1060, PC gaming is gonna die out :unsure:

Don't get my hopes up. Imagine a world where PC gamers don't exist. Where you can talk about a game on console without some neckbeards coming in to talk about how their $5000 rig runs things a little better than a $500 console. Where I don't have to hear complaining about a game not running at 300 fps, or read about someone's $800 monitor that shaves a 20th of a second of lag off.

Please, don't get my hopes up.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get my hopes up. Imagine a world where PC gamers don't exist. Where you can talk about a game on console without some neckbeards coming in to talk about how their $5000 rig runs things a little better than a $500 console. Where I don't have to hear complaining a game not running at 300 fps, or read about someone's $800 monitor that shaves a 20th of a second of lag off.

Please, don't get my hopes up.
imagine a world where people like you don't complain about problems and people that don't exist

Reactions: JonJaded

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the laugh. Nearly fell out of my chair.
they actually don't though
Like when's the last time you saw some PC elitist running into a console thread, shouting out about how much their 3000 dollar PC outperforms a 500 dollar console? It's not 2016 anymore, PC gamers are far more chill nowadays. If you do see a PC gamer, 9 times out of 10 they are just talking about the game because ultimately they're a GAMER. They talk about VIDEO GAMES.
Like yeesh, did Gabe Newell kill your dog or something?

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they actually don't though
Like when's the last time you saw some PC elitist running into a console thread, shouting out about how much their 3000 dollar PC outperforms a 500 dollar console? It's not 2016 anymore, PC gamers are far more chill nowadays. If you do see a PC gamer, 9 times out of 10 they are just talking about the game because ultimately they're a GAMER. They talk about VIDEO GAMES.
Like yeesh, did Gabe Newell kill your dog or something?
Something I noticed about the internet is, people love to make up ideas of people in their head and assume that all people that would fall into the same catagory are just the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 64bitmodels

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad reviews for a drop of three fps over sixty?
Such a joke... Human eyes don't even see above 25 fps :tpi:
Well it was tested with fairly powerful hardware...

I have seen the game on a YouTube video of a similar GPU I have which is a RX580 at 1080P and the game looks like a 10+ years old game on his settings or worse yet barely get more than 30 FPS looking so poor so I guess thats a pretty good reason.

Anyway not my kind of game so I won't even test it.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
it's isn't even a PC specific issue either, it kinda runs like ass on PS5 too, on performance mode when out on the plains it stutters a lot in many areas.

other than that the game is quite fun.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's isn't even a PC specific issue either, it kinda runs like ass on PS5 too, on performance mode when out on the plains it stutters a lot in many areas.

other than that the game is quite fun.

You know it's bad if a powerful console like the PS5 can't run it flawlessly lol :creep:

Reactions: guily6669

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've played the game on 2 separate devices a gpd win3 and my desktop it runs well on both the win3 has some graphical issues every so often but nothing unbearable. The pc runs great on med settings cause I need a better processor and graphics card for high settings. Also guys who are saying the port is bad understand that they don't have 500 million game testers with different pcs and parts and OS's so of course the first few days would have problems cause we are the test by fire. Just wait the problems will be fixed or don't buy the game.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've played the game on 2 separate devices a gpd win3 and my desktop it runs well on both the win3 has some graphical issues every so often but nothing unbearable. The pc runs great on med settings cause I need a better processor and graphics card for high settings. Also guys who are saying the port is bad understand that they don't have 500 million game testers with different pcs and parts and OS's so of course the first few days would have problems cause we are the test by fire. Just wait the problems will be fixed or don't buy the game.

Yes, an RTX 3060 TI and Core i7 9700K are clearly underspecced.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the issue here is you're framing "early buyers are just $60 beta testers that should accept what they're given" as remotely okay instead of a load of sleazy bullshit that's becoming concerningly more common as time goes on

Reactions: NeroAngelo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the issue here is you're framing "early buyers are just $60 beta testers that should accept what they're given" as remotely okay instead of a load of sleazy bullshit that's becoming concerningly more common as time goes on
If you think a couple performance hiccups equate to a beta build, you're dead wrong. This isn't CP2077 where the entire game needs to be reworked for it to become anything close to what was promised. Literally all FromSoft has to worry about working on is optimization and a few minor bugs. Seems like the most impatient people in that regard haven't even played the game yet.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe I said you should accept it I said either wait or don't buy it. You don't have to day one anything you choose to day one it and the idea that a studio regardless of size can ever guarantee perfection day 1 is incorrect because of the size of the total number of variables in any pc. Nothing to do with underspec or not just every PC runs different and that causes issues to occur. So as issues arise they deal with it not like they said your screwed we got your money hahaha. Or something along those lines

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you think a couple performance hiccups equate to a beta build, you're dead wrong. This isn't CP2077 where the entire game needs to be reworked for it to become anything close to what was promised. Literally all FromSoft has to worry about working on is optimization and a few minor bugs. Seems like the most impatient people in that regard haven't even played the game yet.
You can blame all the early reviews that failed to mention any issues whatsoever. It's almost as if the review copies were not the same build as the final release.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You can blame all the early reviews that failed to mention any issues whatsoever. It's almost as if the review copies were not the same build as the final release.
Nah, if you actually read some of the negative Steam reviews, only about a third of them complain about performance. The other two-thirds are fools who think the game should play best on KB+M, and bitter trolls who are pissed that other games they were looking forward to didn't live up to expectations as well as Elden Ring did.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nah, if you actually read some of the negative Steam reviews, only about a third of them complain about performance. The other two-thirds are fools who think the game should play best on KB+M, and bitter trolls who are pissed that other games they were looking forward to didn't live up to expectations as well as Elden Ring did.
Steam reviews are just weird. A lot of em don't even have specific reasons as to why they gave it a negative review.

Reactions: Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I meant early as in pre-release. The press reviews were so positive that any subsequent issues were bound to be blown out of proportion. I've only played the PS5 version, which has been great, so I can't really relate to any of the Steam reviews.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.