Elden Ring reviews are out, critical reception ranks it at the highest-rated game of all time on OpenCritic

header.jpg

Those struggling to wait for Elden Ring's release are going to be dealing with even more hype, as the review embargo for Elden Ring has lifted, revealing what critics with early copies of the game think of FromSoft's latest game. We're not even three months into the year, and we might already have a GOTY on our hands, as Elden Ring's reviews are outstandingly, overwhelmingly high right out of the gate. With just less than 100 individual reviews, the game is sitting at an average score of 97--higher than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, higher than The Last of Us, Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid V, and other titles that tend to sit atop "best game of all time lists".

In fact, Elden Ring is now the highest-scored game of all time critically, tied with 2017's Super Mario Odyssey. This is at least going by OpenCritic's more modern standards of review aggregation--over at Metacritic, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time still confidently reigns supreme with its 99/100. Regardless, the results are in, and it appears Elden Ring might be one of the greatest games out in the past few years. Are you even more excited to try it, or are you going to wait to see what the fan consensus is after launch?

Elden Ring will be out on February 25th, for PC, Xbox Series, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Weird... Considering it's a game from an established segment that isn't that open for innovation.
Bloodborne, Sekiro, and now an open-world game...FromSoft is far more willing to take risks than 95% of other AAA developers.

Can someone post the most noteworthy positives of the game? I can't truly get it.
I don't even know where to start. It's basically Breath of the Wild, but much much better in every aspect. The game world is massive, clocking in at around 87 hours just to beat it (to see everything you're looking at 200+ hours). The graphics are amazing, particularly in 4K and on next-gen systems. The combat encourages variety, and the ash of war system allows you to change your weapon arts to fit any situation. The feeling of accomplishment from defeating bosses in FromSoft games remains unmatched.

With Elden Ring they've done what nobody thought possible: made it more accessible than previous FromSoft games without lowering the difficulty. They did this by giving new players so much variety and flexibility in overcoming each obstacle/boss.

Wow, another soulslike game, I'm sure that'll bring more innovative ideas to the gaming table lol
Another developer putting combat even half this good into their RPG would indeed be innovative. Outside of FromSoft all we have is hot garbage like Skyrim's combat.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodborne, Sekiro, and now an open-world game...FromSoft is far more willing to take risks than 95% of other AAA developers.

I don't even know where to start. It's basically Breath of the Wild, but much much better in every aspect. The game world is massive, clocking in at around 87 hours just to beat it (to see everything you're looking at 200+ hours). The graphics are amazing, particularly in 4K and on next-gen systems. The combat encourages variety, and the ash of war system allows you to change your weapon arts to fit any situation. The feeling of accomplishment from defeating bosses in FromSoft games remains unmatched.

With Elden Ring they've done what nobody thought possible: made it more accessible than previous FromSoft games without lowering the difficulty. They did this by giving new players so much variety and flexibility in overcoming each obstacle/boss.

Another developer putting combat even half this good into their RPG would indeed be innovative. Outside of FromSoft all we have is hot garbage like Skyrim's combat.

A game with unforgiving difficulty and unwelcoming to newcomers to the series or genre is just a dick move.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I did the pre order since only one day for release, will be a good game, hard to be bad one.
A game with unforgiving difficulty and unwelcoming to newcomers to the series or genre is just a dick move.
If any soulsborne game has "unforgiving difficulty" you never played a game with "unforgiving difficulty", lol, go play the sims. You must be trolling.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much this. People losing their minds over this game baffles me.
But seeing that "top 10" in the OP, I get the "target audience".

The best game on that top 10 is Hades, and even it is extremely overrated to show up on a top 10 in the first place.
"I don't like it, so it's overrated." Same shtick, different day.

I'm glad the soulsborne titles aren't as forgiving as some other titles. Gives me something to look forward to. I get the frustration. It took me 3 Souls titles to get used to the dodge mechanics. Played the hell out of DS3, and enjoyed every moment of it. Even setting up fight clubs.

People are allowed to not like popular games, crazy concept, I know.

It's like a child saying they don't like broccoli, even though they've never tried it. Hard to take that opinion seriously, y'know? If the game isn't your forte, that's one thing. Coming out and calling it overrated is just mental, and a poor trolling attempt at best. Y'know what was overrated? Final Fantasy VII. Often regarded as the best in the series, it really left a lot to be desired. Same thing with games like Halo 3, or Fable 2.

Reactions: TheGodMauro

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any soulsborne game has "unforgiving difficulty" you never played a game with "unforgiving difficulty", lol, go play the sims. You must be trolling.

I'm sorry, did my opinion about not liking popular games trigger you? Fuck off. Soulslikes games are overrated and not welcoming for newcomers, so yeah, get over it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Did you not read the full comment you were replying to? This is the most accessible FromSoft game so far. It's nearly impossible to get stuck because of the nature of the open world. If there's a specific boss you're having trouble with, you go beat up some easier mobs/mini-bosses and then come back later.

Oh, and there's a revival spot right outside just about every single boss room. It doesn't get much more streamlined than that.

Reactions: Kioku

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you not read the full comment you were replying to? This is the most accessible FromSoft game so far. It's nearly impossible to get stuck because of the nature of the open world. If there's a specific boss you're having trouble with, you go beat up some easier mobs/mini-bosses and then come back later.

Oh, and there's a revival spot right outside just about every single boss room. It doesn't get much more streamlined than that.

Fine, you got me. I give in.

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
People are allowed to not like popular games, crazy concept, I know.

The game isn't even out yet lol. How the fuck could you dislike something that hadn't even been released to the public. That you haven't tried yourself.

How about try it before you dislike it. Crazier concept I know.

No need to feel special and different.

Reactions: felix.200

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game isn't even out yet lol. How the fuck could you dislike something that hadn't even been released to the public. That you haven't tried yourself.

How about try it before you dislike it. Crazier concept I know.

No need to feel special and different.

No need to be a smarmy jerk about it either.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm sorry, did my opinion about not liking popular games trigger you? Fuck off.
LOL the typical "have I tRiGgERed YoU" response like always... the 2 braincells furry that can't learn and remember patterns on a game that becomes easy very quickly once you do it. And like there are only popular games that are soulsborne-like lmao.

• Haha
Reactions: the_randomizer

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's fucking wild seeing how critically acclaimed the game is. It's also a breath of fresh air to see a high profile game live up to its hype.
Right now, my only concern is day 1 performance on PC. Here lately, high profile games have been released broken. :S

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fine, you got me. I give in.
b8M8MsA.gif

It's definitely worth giving a shot, even if the difficulty of other FromSoft games has been a turn off for you in the past. Just remember that the most important thing is perseverance. If you die it isn't because you "aren't good enough," it's because the game is trying to tell you there's something you could be doing better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/6LyU76xArHc?si=_RDZgB1jHfKrZAiz